Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 244 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #2806
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday View Post
Seriously...that quad is going to have some serious rash on it soon...not to mention how light the front of that FJ is going to be. Leverage is going to multiply the weight. Tongue weight is 10% of what the gross trailer weight rating is and that is not including the force from the leverage.
Accident waiting to happen.............
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #2807
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Torque = Force x Distance

400lbs at 1ft is 400 lb-ft of torque
400lbs at 4ft is 1600 lb-ft of torque

According to the laws of physics, that thing is putting at least 4 times the weight on your hitch a two wheeled street bike would be. The same way a longer wrench gives you more power, the further out the weight is the more torque it creates. That's not accounting for more torque generated from regular driving or unexpected spikes from something like hitting a pot hole. Obviously all the weight isn't 4 feet from the hitch, it's distributed, but I hope you see my point.

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence. I'm sure you have common sense and realize this to some extent. It is a greatly executed fabrication (wish I had those skills). If the hitch can handle that, carry on. I have no idea. I just know I'd never even consider it.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #2808
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
This is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
According to the laws of physics, that thing is putting at least 4 times the weight on your hitch a two wheeled street bike would be.
The figure that really needs to be considered is the distance from the rear axle to the load's center of mass.

I'm certainly exceeding this particular vehicle's tongue weight rating of 500 lbs, and I have no intention of making regular use of the carrier (on this vehicle) without increasing the truck's rear spring rate. As of this writing, I have a few dozen test-miles on bumpy backroads and no harm has befallen the ATV or FJ. I have no doubt I could go on using this setup a few times per year until I die of old age and never encounter a structural failure; although, I do plan on installing a pair of OME heavy duty springs in the rear of the truck. The fact that the FJ currently has a 3" lift (designed to sit level when unladen) is skewing perception.

This would be the greatest troll of all time if I revealed the rack hanging off my customer's dually.

ColinDoyle screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 01:19 PM
ColinDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #2809
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinDoyle View Post
This is awesome.

The figure that really needs to be considered is the distance from the rear axle to the load's center of mass.

I'm certainly exceeding this particular vehicle's tongue weight rating of 500 lbs, and I have no intention of making regular use of the carrier (on this vehicle) without increasing the truck's rear spring rate. As of this writing, I have a few dozen test-miles on bumpy backroads and no harm has befallen the ATV or FJ. I have no doubt I could go on using this setup a few times per year until I die of old age and never encounter a structural failure; although, I do plan on installing a pair of OME heavy duty springs in the rear of the truck.

This would be the greatest troll of all time if I revealed the rack hanging off my customer's dually.
Glad to give you a laugh. We're all picturing the hitch and/or hauler snapping at the connection point, not the front wheels of your FJ lifting off the ground. I can't see how heavy springs would do anything to resolve that.

As I said I didn't intend to insult anyone's intelligence. Quantifying it takes the BS out of it for me. Sounds like you've tested and are comfortable with it. YMMV.

At least run some ratchet straps from the back of the hauler up to your roof rack.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #2810
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,055
Quote:
This is awesome.

I'm certainly exceeding this particular vehicle's tongue weight rating of 500 lbs, and I have no intention of making regular use of the carrier (on this vehicle) without increasing the truck's rear spring rate. As of this writing, I have a few dozen test-miles on bumpy backroads and no harm has befallen the ATV or FJ. I have no doubt I could go on using this setup a few times per year until I die of old age and never encounter a structural failure; although, I do plan on installing a pair of OME heavy duty springs in the rear of the truck. The fact that the FJ currently has a 3" lift (designed to sit level when unladen) is skewing perception.

You should make a video of that FJ taking a jump at about 40mph with the quad on the back. Just so every one can see how well it works.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #2811
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
ColinDoyle, when I want to buy a square tubing bender, I now know who to call!

I'm not concerned with whether or not the tubing can hold the weight; I'm concerned with how many bumps you will go over until the point of tubing that enters the receiver has reached its fatigued breaking point.

Thank you for yet another reason to avoid of Minnesota.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #2812
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,508
I feel compelled to put in my 0.02c here.
Just look at it, its wrong, cant you see that?!

Think about what you have done and if you saw somebody in front of you with that set up, wouldnt you shake your head and think WTF?

Sure, it may last a few km but from what I can see, you only have a single section going into the tow hitch receiver and no other support. Its going to break some time, soon and catastrophically and then some one is not going to be happy, possibly the family of the motorist that was following you and ran in to it as it all came away from your vehicle.

Is this for real?

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2813
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Hey, no worries. I'll hit the road and bring it to a town near you! We don't need you here.

The tubing is over 1/4" thick and has no bend whatsoever. What you're seeing is the minimal slop between the tube and the receiver, when extended a few feet.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #2814
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

You guys have never seen these before? Or are you taking issue with fact that I hung it off a softly-sprung truck?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #2815
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
You guys have never seen these before? Or are you taking issue with fact that I hung it off a softly-sprung truck?
The truck is definitely not the issue. The angle of the truck's frame vs. the angle of the carrier is seriously off. If there is that much play in the receiver, you either used the wrong size tubing, or the opening of the receiver is peeling open from the stress. If you can seriously look at that pic and not see something is wrong, maybe you should hang up your welding helmet before someone gets hurt.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #2816
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
I don't think anyone is bothered by the FJ, just distance it is from the vehicle. Your design looks sound but it's just so long. Have you thought about putting your spare tire on the roof so you could get the rack right next to the bumper?
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #2817
martinnyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Hey, no worries. (snip) What you're seeing is the minimal slop between the tube and the receiver, when extended a few feet.
Sorry buddy, but the flex looks it's worst somewhere near the middle of the carrier. I've gotta say that I agree with the peanut gallery that that bad boy could use a big caster in the back (afaik, 1 wheel does not constitute a trailer, so it still wouldn't need to be registered), or at the very least some tie-downs ran up to the roof rack to try to take at least some of the torsion off of that hitch.

martinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2818
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,015
Meanwhile... back at the ranch...

I've built probably 30 of these "Joining Labs" and at least that many of the boxes demonstrating them to my metals classes. Finally starting to get good at them.

I usually toss the joining lab but hang on to the boxes- they make great organizers for all of the drawers, cabinets, and lockers in my room.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #2819
harlie75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
"The figure that really needs to be considered is the distance from the rear axle to the load's center of mass."

which you obviously didn't consider. ''Hey Olie, watch this!"
harlie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #2820
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,779
Quote:
It weighs less than a streetbike. Don't worry about it.
It may well do....it's a lot wider though so the weight is that much further out from the hitch.

I would agree with the poster above, that just doesn't look safe to me.

YMMV as always...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: