Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 261 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1246
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
the j10
..theres 2 ways to do it ..ive seen pic's of them before but cant find the ones i saved....you either need 2 cabs and if you want the correct j10 roof this is your only option....or you start with 1 cab and 1 wagoneer body..back of the waggy the rear doors are a minor issue needing "squared" out but thats no big deal..you slice the waggy after the rear set of doors and re-graft the back half of the cab and doors from the cab to the back of the waggy....stretch frame and drop on bed ..done

as for the trooper
the back doors are less of a problem than youd think...the best way to do it is to slice 1 passenger door in hafl 1 driver door in half..use both rear halves to make 1 door....however i personaly would do a complicated slice ..ie once the door starts to taper at the top cut across the door to the middle and then graft everything from there up off the oposite side door...id actualy just cut across to the middle a few inches up from the top hinge...this way your hinge location doesnt have to be re-added in...the hard part is trying to do a narow but strong graft of the 2 cabs...
idealy you want a 3rd body for the door posts...the trick here being much like the doors..cutting out everything from the striker post up off the back of a cab flip it around and graft it in ontop of your second cabs hinge point..this will fill in the gaps and square up the roof and door opeings to joing the back cab half......
i know it sounds like alot of wrong side used in an odd place but its the easiest way to get all the angles and parts you need without havig to fabricate a whole mess of stuff from scratch..and in the end it all looks like factory parts and build cause it is all factory pressed parts just welded in a differtent order

that lil euro sled of mine i had to widen the hips 4 inches each side to fit the new chassis, jag headlights and eyebrows then frenched, chev hood double v narrowed, window chanel tracks grafted into the rear window so it slides down..tracks yarded from a couple mid 60s dodge van, the chassis cut down re-brace and re-do was the most challangeing of the lot..i had to shorten the milano 22 or so inches without getting anything out of square ..alot of bracing and jigging....think reverse limoing, ..once short i still had to keep it braced and then take it down to its unibody framerails and still had to remove alot of that as well....if you go thru the build pics youll come across the silver milano and see where i went insane LOL

heres another shot of the 70 camper special LOL

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #1247
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 515
^ these ideas lurk in the back of my brain. I did something similar when I rebuilt my 14' skiff. I disassembled a 17' boat and grafted cut and spliced various parts to make it what I wanted. If I could knock a couple of projects out of the way, I'd be all over something like this.

I have dreams of turbo Datsun 510's and street legal rally cars. I really like the lines of that euro sled. Maybe one day it'll turn up on www.dogfightmag.com as a build thread...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #1248
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
theres a turbo 510 wagon running around here localy..beastly thing!!!!

ive visions of street taged vintage looking F1 cars........but...thats would be certainly something to lose your rights to drive LOL

hmm dogfight eh...some intriguing stuff in there
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #1249
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
I just finished building a bike rack for my tandems.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #1250
NyhtRyder
Bald Headed Old Fart

Oddometer: 105
Since nobody makes a truck to match the hard bags on a Kawasaki Nomad, I made one myself.

VROC #24848
Patriot Guard Rider #111802

Kawasaki Nomad 1600
NyhtRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #1251
NyhtRyder
Bald Headed Old Fart

Oddometer: 105
click here

VROC #24848
Patriot Guard Rider #111802

Kawasaki Nomad 1600
NyhtRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #1252
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyhtRyder View Post
Since nobody makes a truck to match the hard bags on a Kawasaki Nomad, I made one myself.
Very nice work indeed.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #1253
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyhtRyder View Post
Would love to see a few more pics. From what I can see in the one, it is a great match for the bike.

I didn't see the follow on post, with the link, until after I posted. That is very very nice!
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #1254
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Yeah, cutting those inner pieces to fit perfectly against the darker trim piece was a bitch wasn't it?

This is actually bamboo. I didn't create those trim strips, they came pre-made in the diamond pattern. I just fit them together:
That looks really cool. I got really lucky in that after I ripped the tongues off the planks (glue down) they fit almost perfectly inside the frame. There was just the slightest of gaps but the filler took care of that.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #1255
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,426
24 Hr clock

This is the Cam Chain drive off a BMW R259 (1150cc) motorcycle engine.
The small gear is driven by a modified hi torque quartz clock and drives the large gear via the chain. The lower gear floats freely.
The wood is local Yellow Cedar

GS Addict screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 11:47 AM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #1256
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
This is the Cam Chain drive off a BMW R259 (1150cc) motorcycle engine.
The small gear is driven by a modified hi torque quartz clock and drives the large gear via the chain. The lower gear floats freely.
The wood is local Yellow Cedar

Not a BMW fan but this clock is a very cool concept to reality.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #1257
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
It aint pretty but seems to be working so far...

Bent up some left over strap iron from when they replaced the bleachers at my school...

Hang two of 'em on the wall.

Insert bar.

Fill with tires.

I should have made it just a little wider, the biggest tire is just barely past its balancing point. Dont think you want tires raining down on your head either...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #1258
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,527
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post

I should have made it just a little wider, the biggest tire is just barely past its balancing point. Dont think you want tires raining down on your head either...
Dorkpunch Hi!

This is something that you've probably already thought about, but could you turn them so the long side is horizontal and short side on the wall?

It looks like you're using significant lags into the studs in the walls.

Would drilling four holes in the short side and lagging it to the same stud be strong enough?

Hope you don't mind my suggestion. I like your tire rack.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1259
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
I thought about that, but it wouldnt work because I had to make the rack tall enough for the tires to fit in. If I turned it sideways, the tires would just fall through, but I could just weld the bar in place a few inches back from the point of the triangle. Good suggestion, might eventually try that, but for now, its up, its working, and I'm too lazy to take it back down and drill more holes...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #1260
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
I thought about that, but it wouldnt work because I had to make the rack tall enough for the tires to fit in. If I turned it sideways, the tires would just fall through, but I could just weld the bar in place a few inches back from the point of the triangle. Good suggestion, might eventually try that, but for now, its up, its working, and I'm too lazy to take it back down and drill more holes...

ahh that make sense. I sort of had the same thought, "... it's up there, the heck with it, leave it the way it is ... "
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: