Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
The windscreen makes a big difference, and I really liked the OEM top case for the 500. Gives you plenty of carrying capacity.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #17
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Sweet bike.

One of the things that makes me grin every time is just grabbing it and throwing it backwards or forwards out of a parking space and letting it roll. Just shove it around while you're walking next to it as it rolls sedately, while you're putting your helmet on.

It took me about a week to really appreciate what it does as a commuter. Some things are subtle--like being able to roll it around like that--others are more obvious, like how sure-footed and planted it is. Low speed maneuvers like threading through stalled traffic and u-turns in tight spaces are a snap.

Hope yours makes you as happy as mine does.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #18
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
Congratulations on the new bike.
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
Keep us updated!

Hope you'll let us know how it works out for you. Seems to get lots of praise elsewhere- will be interested in your experience with it. Enjoy!
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
3wheelfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Exactly like mine! Maybe I will see you around.

Highway 2 just opened (but will probably close by the weekend). Just have to avoid all the rocks!

Jill
3wheelfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 855
Cool2

Rode it to work this morning - what a hoot! It was fine splitting lanes and kept up with 80+ mph traffic no problems.

I went ahead and ordered the OEM windscreen for it. Will probably get a top box as well (either Givi or factory) at some point.

Would love to take it up on Angeles Crest - I didn't think it was going to be open again for some time.

Been at work for for only four hours and already had a bunch of coworkers approach me to ask about it. Funny as a motorcycle rider, some of these same folks consider me a hooligan, but as a scooter rider I'm suddenly more sensitive and approachable
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Funny how that works; there's this Harley guy that I see on the freeway every morning as I ride to work. When I'm on my GS or Ducati we'll wave at each other and he sometimes gives me the thumbs up but if I'm on my Fuoco he won't return my wave. It used to bug me but I'm kinda amused by it now.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #23
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX
Scored a deal on an 09 MP3 500

Got it dropped off at the house today. These things seem complicated until you get out and ride 'em. It was the first time I'd ridden a tripod - It made me laugh most of the way

Took it out on the freeway and played around on a few local roads - it seems more than capable. Tomorrow I'll ride it to work and hopefully I'll confirm, that it's the right tool for the job.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Oh, and here's a pic

First mod on the list - a windscreen of some sort
Congrats! That is the best looking MP3 500 I have seen, great color combo. It has the same rugged, post-apocalyptic look of the all black version, but with a better sense of style.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #24
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Scored a deal on a 09 MP3 500

Best I have seen (new) is $7,600.00 in SE US. How much did you pay out the door and delivered?

Quote:

Got it dropped off at the house today. These things seem complicated until you get out and ride 'em. It was the first time I'd ridden a tripod - It made me laugh most of the way

Took it out on the freeway and played around on a few local roads - it seems more than capable. Tomorrow I'll ride it to work and hopefully I'll confirm, that it's the right tool for the job.

Oh, and here's a pic

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Scored a deal on a 09 MP3 500

Best I have seen (new) is $7,600.00 plus fees and dealer fees in SE US. How much did you pay out the door and delivered?

Quote:

Oh, and here's a pic

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!

Thumb

Not to far from my house is one of those Chinese tool importer warehouse cheap as chips stores. I drop in there every now and then to pick up a cheap throw-away something or other.

Turns out they sell a motorcycle tent.

I don't have any room left in the garage, and I needed some way to protect the scoot from the sun (and the ave. 12 days a year - rain), so I figured I'd give this thing a try.

Surprisingly the construction, while minimum spec, is sufficient and not too shabby (everything fit together reasonably well). The instructions were clear. I had it up in about an hour and it works perfectly :

It's 10'Lx5'Wx8'H and cost $135.

For security, I use one of these attached to one of the center posts inside the tent - it's simple and I can run the cabe through my jacket and helmet as well - and if that doesn't work, well, that's what insurance is for I guess.

Cheers,
-Jack
IBA #30079
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #27
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
So what are your thoughts so far on the MP3?

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #28
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Only ridden it to work twice (about 100 miles), but so far so good. I need more seat time to get used to the unique features, but at this stage, it meets my expectations, and then some.

The factory windscreen I ordered arrives on Tuesday, and a day later I'm expecting a top box. Both should add additional value and usefulness.

Cheers,
-Jack
IBA #30079
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #29
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
I wish you the best of luck with your MP3 500. I had an 09 (black) back in May and got rid of it 2 weeks later for a TMax. The MP3's switchgear shorted out, the lock mechanism for the front end failed, and the hoses started to sheer (check out Modern Vespa for this problem that is fixed with a zip-tie). Interestingly enough, after exhaustive research, no one else has had this multitude of problems. The shop wouldn't work on it til Piaggio came through with the money so I traded it in on a new TMax. Funny though, everyone else that has them loves them and are usually problem free. Maybe mine was cobbled together at the end of the shift?

The scoot looks great, enjoy it and be careful of cagers swerving when they stare at the 2 front wheels!

Ride Safe!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #30
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I love the looks of the 250 & 400 but wish I had a 500. Temptation

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote