Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbagpiper
Thanks! Found it on baysideperformance.com (http://www.baysideperformance.ca/ind...d=14752)...its actually on sale right now. The pants are listed on the site as well...

Hoping it arrives today...can't help but get excited for new gear, even though the riding season is a good 3 - 4 months away
Yours arrive yet?

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
mcbagpiper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Yes, it arrived at the office, but I'm off until next week so I'll have to report in a few days!

Current ride - 13 Ninja 1000 ABS
mcbagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Mine should be here in a day or 2, they shipped on the 22nd....

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Well, they arrived today so here is my quick initial review.

Here they are after unboxing:

I'm about 5'11" and 205 lb-ish. I normally wear an XL and the JR XL fits me perfectly. The one pleasant surprise is that the sleeves are nice and long. I normally take a long or tall in a jacket due to my arm length but this jacket is perfect for me.

From the back (the definition of Fugly):

Here's a shot from the front with the outer shell open and the "Big Air" mesh done up. It's an interesting concept and I think it'll work very well. When you do up the jacket there are 3 zippers: 1, the waterproof layer 2, the mesh and 3, the outer shell. When you open the outer shell for venting the jacket opens up slightly providing a loose fit so the air can move through the jacket. With the rear zippers open it should provide for fantastic airflow.

And the waterproof "flap" dealeo:

Here it is with the liner in. It fits in very nicely and adds a minimum amount of bulk to the jacket. Interestingly, they have a slit in the liner so that you can still access the inside chest pocket. Good thinking.

The arms of the liner velcro to the inside of the shell. I've had JR jackets in the past that use this method and its my favorite to date.

And here's the jacket w/o the liner. You can see the powder cuff. I never use them so I may actually remove it.

To me, the jacket/glove transition is one of the most important aspects of a jacket. I have to say that it's one of the best features of the Aerostich Roadcrafter gear. Well, this is simply a copy of the stich and works very well with the gauntlet internal or external. The reason this is so important to me is that on my VFR my hands are low so I roll with gauntlets internal to keep the rain out. On th XRR (soon to be 950A) my hands are high so I go with external gauntlets. I actually find this jacket to be more better than the stich because the material is less stiff.

External:

Internal:

As an aside, those BMW Prosummer gloves are the best thing ever. 100% waterproof, the liner never moves even when removing the sweatiest of hands. Little hot in the warmer times of the year but thats why I have a glove fetish I guess, no one glove does it all.

Finally I'll comment on the straps that allow you to form fit the jacket. I think this is one of the best features I've seen in a jacket. You can maintain a form fitting jacket regardless of what you have underneath it. Our weather here can change a lot during the day. I quite often leave my house in the early morning (6 am) and it'll be 3-5 degrees C (~38 F) and come home in the afternoon in 30 C (~90 F). That means I go from a fleece (or liner in this case) and a heated vest in the morning to just my wool undershirt in the afternoon. This jacket allows you to easily maintain a safe and comfortable fit throughout the day with just a quick adjustment.

Here's a shot of one of the rear vents open:

So, as you can probably tell, I'm very impressed with the features of the jacket, especially at 1/4 of the price of a comparably featured BMW jacket.

Another VERY big plus with this jacket is that due to the large about of size adjustment available, I can actually remove the pads from the jacket and then fit my pressure suit underneath it comfortably! This is huge for me as my riding ranges from tight steep single track on the XRR to sport touring on the VFR. This seems like it'll be the jacket thats able to do both as well as everything in between.

I guess we'll see when I next get a chance to ride!

Pants review will follow, gotta go build some bacon wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapeños for tonight!

Cheers,

Wesley J

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,183
Wesley J, thanks for the review and pics. First I've seen of this gear, and it looks like another good option for us atgatt riders.

Maybe when you review the pants you can comment on the standard armor for each piece (qlty., placement, adjustability, etc...).
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
Wesley J OP
Hoser

First I'll have to say I'm not knowledgeable in armor. Below is the information sheet that came along with the jacket.

And a shot of the elbow armor:

I can say that I really like how the armor is fitted to the jacket. Rather than being inside the jacket in a fabric bag, it's on the outside shell, inside a more durable fabric.

As you can see here the armor is adjustable by moving it to the different pocket.

The adjustment straps work very well and have a lot of range, unlike any of my other JR jackets that were always too tight on even the loosest setting.

I have to say I'm sold on the Nano Fibre technology. Here's a shot of the propoganda:

After seeing the shot of the air flow through the fabric, I went and put my mouth against the fabric and blew. I could feel the air come through on the backside. I then went and tried it on my other GoreTex based jackets and did not have the same effect.

I'll try to do the same review of the pants but they're too big and I'm sending them in for a L so I wont be able to comment on fit.

Cheers,

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Just bought one of these jackets myself. Seems like pretty good value as long as the nano waterproofing works as advertised. Thanks for taking the time to post your review Wesley, it really helped me decide to get it.
Wildcard342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,313
I guess I'm a bit confused..looks like a good jacket..outside of the Rocket billboard on the back..lots of good features..but it's a 500.00 Joe Rocket Jacket..lots of money for a Jacket from a company with a track record for cheap and low quality products....I'll have to see/feel one in person..nice review though..keep us posted on your road evaluations.. thanks
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #24
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Not too sure where you are but check out the link above. The pricing is about 1/2 or MSRP.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
...lots of good features..but it's a 500.00 Joe Rocket Jacket..lots of money for a Jacket from a company with a track record for cheap and low quality products....
I predict we will see this jacket on closeout at year end due to slow sales. Joe Rocket is going to learn this lesson just like VW did with its $70k Phaeton.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Wesley J OP
Hoser

I cant completely disagree with you. But, I will say that this piece appears better designed and implemented with better materials than my 'stich.

Heck, it's hard to argue with a $250 CND jacket.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I'd grab a jacket at $250, but the pants are "on sale" at $311?

Too bad no other colours are offered. Black sux in the sunlight.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
mcbagpiper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Not too much I can add to the review that was posted already. Received my jacket today and it fits very well. I ordered an XL and I'm 6'3" 200lbs...as commented earlier the arms are a good length which is a nice change!

Current ride - 13 Ninja 1000 ABS
mcbagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #29
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Got one of these and am pretty happy with the overall design and the quality of the jacket. $250 from Canada was for me, good value for what I get. I have worn it for a couple of weeks and found it very comfie. I like how the waterproof layer is always bonded to the jacket fabric. One less thing to take in and out all the time and I don't need to carry the winter liner, which by the way is pretty well made. I like the big air concept and have worn it like that on a couple of 100 degree days and it works very well. The jacket loosens up and allows good flow to the rear vents. Not overenthusiastic in how it looks opened up this way but in Summer here it works. On cooler days I do think that it looks pretty nice when done up with the outer zips. I haven't tried it in the rain yet so am really hoping this new nano fabric is as marketed.

so far.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Nice review. Anyone tested if it is 100% waterproof?

I don't like my jackets too baggy, in my opinon they are a bit too loose on you from the pictures, Wesley, could you have done with a Large? I'm slightly smaller anyway (185lb, 5'10") so probably Large is correct for me then. Even more so with the pants, want them fairly tight to avpoid flapping and more important, to keep the protection in place. Are the pants loose fitting?

Talking about protection/armour. This is a very important point to me. Look like you can replace them though (see url=http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Joe_Rocket_Replacement_Armor--35-JR-1.html , not sure which is the better one...).

Joe Rocket is not sold in Norway, how is the general quality? Any thoughts about how they would stand up after a slide along tarmac?
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote