ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
OR SB420 - Oregon Lane Splitting bill, 2015

didn't see anything here about this...

it's not gotten very far any other time a similar bill was introduced, but hey... just maybe

summary:
Allows operators of motorcycles and mopeds to pass vehicles in same lane during traffic jams or slowdowns. Allows operators of motorcycles and mopeds to travel between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles during traffic jams or slowdowns.

https://legiscan.com/OR/bill/SB420/2015

EDIT:

Public hearing scheduled for SB694

4/02/2015 in Salem... 8AM (there's other work sessions and hearings, so it'll be a bit later than 8)

900 Court ST NE, Salem OR 97301

Hearing Room 50

This is a PUBLIC HEARING... I don't feel like there's a whole lot of interest in this within the Oregon motorcycling community, but for those of us who are interested, here's our choice to show up and be heard!

dhallilama screwed with this post Yesterday at 09:59 PM
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
caslaw
Pig Wrestler

Oddometer: 51
I was interviewed last week on the Mark and Dave program about SB 420. For those interested, you can listen to the interview here:

http://www.oregonmotorcyclelaw.com/1...gon-sb420.html
caslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,715
thank you!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslaw View Post
I was interviewed last week on the Mark and Dave program about SB 420. For those interested, you can listen to the interview here:

http://www.oregonmotorcyclelaw.com/1...gon-sb420.html
just listened to the interview: GREAT, thank you!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Grahamcracker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I sure would like this to go through!
Grahamcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 13,263
How many times has this been introduced?

Has it ever left committee?

I don't get what people are so afraid of - while letting bicycles to more.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
How many times has this been introduced?

Has it ever left committee?

I don't get what people are so afraid of - while letting bicycles to more.

introduced a bunch of times, doubt it has (or will anytime soon) leave committee. sure would like to see it go to vote.

riding for a couple decades in so-cal, lane splitting daily, i don't see the problem.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

realized there's another bill, SB172, which is much the same as SB420, though lower speeds.

as Washington's SB5263 & HB1515 (their lane splitting) has voted up from the rules committee to senate, here's to hoping OR's gets somewhere...
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
tunus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I highly doubt the OR legislature will act on this. They are way to busy trying to make gas more expensive for all of us, you know to save the planet
tunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Neverenuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamcracker View Post
I sure would like this to go through!
Me too!
Neverenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunus View Post
I highly doubt the OR legislature will act on this. They are way to busy trying to make gas more expensive for all of us, you know to save the planet
I doubt it as well...
Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,183
I got Senator Boquist to submit SB172... and I got this email from him yesterday:

-----------

As you are aware, Senator Boquist has introduced your bill request in the Oregon State Senate. The bill number is SB 172 and has been assigned to the Judiciary Committee.

Senator Boquist urges you to contact the committee chairman and the committee members requesting a hearing on the bill. When the hearing is scheduled, you will be expected to come to Salem to testify and he would urge you to have friends and others who support your concept to also contact the committee chairman for the hearing as well as to testify either in person or by letter (email correspondence is very acceptable). Written support for the bill can be submitted to the committee administrator.

The Oregon legislation Information system (OLIS) which you can access on the Oregon Legislatures home page or at https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1 categorizes a wealth of information on the legislature, the bills, the committees and legislator contact information in four areas:

Session Day- clicking on this icon, you have the choice of choosing which legislative session you wish to look at. For this legislative session click on the 2015 session. The page will show you the calendar for the current day, which committees are meeting, where they are meeting and the agenda.

Bill- this icon allows you to look up bills by its number, topic areas or by sponsor. When you click on the bill, the specific information on the bill will appear including an overview, current status, scheduled events, proposed amendments and a history of the bill including where it currently resides.

Committee- clicking on this icon allows you to look at each legislative committee, the members of the committee, the committee administrator, committee meeting times and locations, the bills that are assigned to the committee and the agenda(s). To contact a committee member, click on the name and the address, phone number and email address will be shown.

Reports- this area provides information on status reports, measure indexes and floor letters.

Make sure you sign up for email notification to receive an email any time the status of your bill changes. Your involvement with the bill is critical to its success.

If you have questions, please call.

Jim Williams
Legislative Assistant
Senator Brian Boquist
Oregon Senate District 12
503 986 1712
Sen.brianquist@state.or.us

-------------------------

So... make calls and write letters or emails! If enough people will do this, maybe we can at least get one of these bills to a vote.

I do tend to think it'll take a lot to get one passed. I've found that Oregon motorists are some of the most narcissistic of any I've ever encountered. "It's all about me, all the time, they seem to think. How dare anybody try to pass me, or expect ME to show them ANY consideration. F them, I'll do what I want." This is how they seem to think. I can't go anywhere here in Salem without encountering at least one of these types.

Rob
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

calls made and emails sent, requesting a hearing.

chair & members

HB172:
Sen.FloydProzanski@state.or.us
Sen.JeffKruse@state.or.us
Sen.SaraGelser@state.or.us**
sen.ginnyburdick@state.or.us*

SB420:
Sen.FloydProzanski@state.or.us
Sen.JeffKruse@state.or.us
Sen.SaraGelser@state.or.us**
sen.ginnyburdick@state.or.us*
Sen.KimThatcher@state.or.us

and I agree about the OR drivers. I've driven & ridden in a lot of states (and quite a few countries), with Oregon having what seems to be the highest number of both narcissistic and clueless/oblivious drivers.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:31 AM   #14
Peak_Oil
Not One 2 Floss

Oddometer: 380
Just my thoughts about lane splitting

Your safest place to wait for the green light is right between lane 1and lane 2.

One starry night I was on my way home from a movie theater on my previous bike, and I had the choice to pull up behind a lane with five cars and a lane with one car. I was in California at the time, but did not choose to split the lane and get in between the two front cars.

Seconds later an SUV nailed the back of the car on my left at full speed. I would have been flattened if I had chosen that lane. It was a coin flip. Some fellas are lucky and some fellas aren't. That's what it came down to that night. I was not smart or resourceful, I was just lucky.

After that night, I split the lane to be in the safest possible place just in case somebody wasn't watching the road. I would like to have that option again.

There are times I think about riding to my destination, and then think about my kids. I want the option of working the odds in my favor as much as possible. There's also the look on my wife's face when she wanted me to sign the contract for life insurance. I do enough stupid shit that she should have put that in the prenup. That said, she's kind of right.

Then again, the Oregonian in me kind of likes the steady slow pace of traffic. It's a little frustrating, but not too much to take. I should have left earlier, right?

Bottom line is I'll take it if I can get it. If I can't, that's OK too.

Peak_Oil screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 07:18 PM
Peak_Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Grahamcracker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
My friend got rear-ended in her car by some teenage girl at 35mph last week while sitting at a stoplight. That kind of crap is what makes me want to split the most...
Grahamcracker is offline   Reply With Quote