ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Capitol Forest Ride Sunday April 27th

Several of us are planning to ride through Capitol Forest on the 27th. We'll meet at the Haggen's Food store (used to be Top Foods) off Hwy 101 in West Olympia on Black Lake Blvd. Arrive at the store whenever you like, they have outside seating for breakfast snacks/coffee, but come gassed-up and ready to depart at 10:30am precisely.

Our goal is to do the "Five Corners" of the Forest. Rock Candy, Porter Creek, Waddell Creek, ORV Park (aka Straddleline), and Bordeaux Rd. If you aren't familiar with Capitol Forest, this is a great opportunity to find out where the best routes are to ingress/egress. DNR requires Discovery passes.

If you haven't ridden CF, you are missing out! The Mainline roads are well-maintained crushed rock and includes lots of elevation and curves. Perfect for improving rusty skills. Easy to get to and back home.

This will be a GS-friendly ride. Your call whether you will have a smile on your face or helmet-hidden look of terror. ;-) This is a Dual-Sport "ride"...not a clinic. A good rider will have fun with dual-sport bias tires, but street tires could be a little slick. This is intermediate riding...not advanced. We won't head off on the more technical "sub" roads, but you will see all the opportunities for a future trip. CF offers trails for every ability. This is intended to show you what is in your backyard.

There will be several chances to head home early as we reach each "corner" in succession.

If you wouldn't mind, please respond if you think you are attending.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
joeaverage
mediumcore

Oddometer: 81
I thought CF didn't open until May 1st (maybe that's just the single track?)
joeaverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Single track opens then.

I rode everything yesterday that we are going to ride on the 27th.

BTW, Dale Gray (one of the owners of South Sound Honda...and a hell of a rider) is riding his clutchless NC700X that has a skidplate and TKC 80s. He's made it into quite an adventure bike.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Wirewiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm thinking yes!

Sounds like a good way to get more familiar with Capitol Forest!
I'm in.
Wirewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
RWC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Count me in.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Scnsgr1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'd like to join. If there's room.
Scnsgr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

plenty of room for anybody looking for a fun ride!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Capitol Forest Ride Sunday April 27th
Several of us are planning to ride through Capitol Forest on the 27th. We'll meet at the Haggen's Food store (used to be Top Foods) off Hwy 101 in West Olympia on Black Lake Blvd. Arrive at the store whenever you like, they have outside seating for breakfast snacks/coffee, but come gassed-up and ready to depart at 10:30am precisely.
is the start at stop location the same? i would love to join in but would be trailering my little KTM down there from Tacoma. need to see what capitol forest is like compared to tahuya!
riceaterslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

If your KTM is plated, then the ride will work out well. If it isn't, then it probably won't.

There are three sections (at least) where we will be on the road and license plates are necessary. In no particular order (at this point), they are the distance between The ORV Park (Straddleline) and Rock Candy, and the ride from West Olympia down to Bordeaux Road. This really is set up as a dual-sport ride. The single track parts of CF won't open until the weekend after this ride.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
If your KTM is plated, then the ride will work out well. If it isn't, then it probably won't.

There are three sections (at least) where we will be on the road and license plates are necessary. In no particular order (at this point), they are the distance between The ORV Park (Straddleline) and Rock Candy, and the ride from West Olympia down to Bordeaux Road. This really is set up as a dual-sport ride. The single track parts of CF won't open until the weekend after this ride.
KTM is plated, so no issus there. I understand this is a DS ride, but am looking forward to checking out this area in general, and what better way than with some other ADVers!

I just don't want to end up 40 miles away from my trailer at the end of the ride. That's a long way to ride on the street on the little thumper!
riceaterslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
dionbilt
energetic beginner

Oddometer: 89
this sounds like fun, I just cant make it. If it was later in the year towards end of summer I would be IN. On these rides what are the mileage you run between gas stops? packing the Rotopak I can go about 150 no problem, with out it I'm only good for 120 with the fuel bottles on the backpack.
dionbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
OlyRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
KTM is plated, so no issus there. I understand this is a DS ride, but am looking forward to checking out this area in general, and what better way than with some other ADVers!

I just don't want to end up 40 miles away from my trailer at the end of the ride. That's a long way to ride on the street on the little thumper!
You shouldn't have a problem. Parking your rig is your only concern. At this point, we are going to head from Haggen's to Bordeaux Road. We'll pass right by the Waddell Creek entrance, which is where we plan on exiting (ending) the ride later on. So you could meet us at Haggen's and park somewhere in their giant lot, and then return there without going out of your way at all. Or...park your rig near the Waddell Creek entrance, and meet us there as we begin the ride. We should be there by 10:45am, or so. If you do this, let me know so we can coordinate.

Gas won't be a problem for anyone fueled up with at least a 100-mile range. Just remember to get gas "before" we leave Haggen's. We won't be making a gas stop to begin the ride! :-)

OlyRider screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:43 AM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
clfhngr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
can't make it either on 27th, but hoping that you can post the route to check out another time!

thanks
1981 R80 G/S
2013 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
clfhngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
allpapajohn
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just may try and make this. I am nearly 100% I have next Sunday off work. Will confirm tonight after checking schedule.
allpapajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
So close and yet I won't be making it. As my riding time diminished with the entry to the world of my young daughter and busier work schedule, I never got around to taking care of the chronic electrical problems haunting my KLR. Maybe if local rides like this keep taking place, I'll get back in the DS business (it is fun).

Have a good time Paul and the rest of you.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote