ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (IDBDR) 2015-Who's In?

last edit 05/29/15

I'm editing this post to firm up plans, now that the routes are out. No one has expressed a must-change to the date or made a commitment to a different week so lets nail this down. The ride will start in Jarbidge (not Jarbridge, lol) Nevada on Sunday, July 25th, and wrap up at the Canadian border at Port Hill on Sunday August 2nd. 8 days breaks it up into comfortably short days with time to do some side trips and stop and see the scenery. See this thread for a general discussion of the route: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935700

I'm working with the maps and looking at campsites. The IDBDR video list their sites and most look nice. BTW, the gpx segments do not represent their daily rides, just town to town. A rough itinerary is as follows:

*Sunday-Jarbidge to ~Anderson Ranch Reservoir (I'm looking into camp sites) 174 mi
*Monday-visit Trinity lake and side trip to Trinity Lookout. Camp at Deadwood Reservoir 151 miles
*Tuesday-Yellow Pine to Bergdorf Hot Springs. This will be a fairly short day. There are some old, and rather primitive but cool cabins to stay at there if anyone wants a break from their sleeping bag-make your own reservations. The pool at the hot springs is really nice; I think you'll enjoy this break from riding. 130 miles
*Wednesday-Elk City and Magruder Corridor-camp at Poet Creek or Observation Point
*Thursday-finish the Magruder, with an optional side trip to Burnt Knob Lookout. That optional trail is the toughest and most technical of the trip, but the views are spectacular. Darby, Lolo and start the Lolo Motorway, camp at Cayuse Crossing
*Friday-finish the motorway, through Pierce and camp south of Avery at Horse Camp (I'll buzz down and scout a campground before the ride)
*Saturday-Avery, Wallace. I plan to deviate from the published IDBDR route and head west and hit the south shore of Lake Pend Orielle near Bernard Peak. The road along the south side of the lake is pretty. Camp at Whisky Rock campground on the shore of the lake. Or those that want to can run the BDR route and either go to Whisky Rock or camp at Johnson Creek, just south of Clark Fork.
*Sunday-Clark Fork, Lightning Creek, stop at Char Falls and Lunch Peak Lookout, finish the route at Port Hill

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Port Hill if anyone wants to stay at my place Sunday night.

I'll put up the daily miles based on these suggested camp spots. If anyone in the southern part of the state wants to comment or add suggestions for the first couple nights, please do so. I'll break up the IDBDR gpx routes into the daily segments with camp sites and gas as waypoints.

Total ride is about 1300 miles.

What to expect? Well, first, an awesome time and spectacular scenery. The ride isn't particularly technical (at least what I've ridden, which is probably 2/3 of the route, and according to the BDR video). But it is remote backcountry-many days there will be no cell phone coverage and only one place for gas and provisions. And it's long, so don't push too hard and bite it. Many roads are narrow with steep dropoffs, so be careful. We'll be camping every night, with options to get a room at Bergdorf. Most nights won't offer options of a room. I'll double check and post if wrong, but I believe every day offers at least one town with places to get provisions. I'll also check the distance between gas stops. I don't believe that there are any over 160 miles or so, but I suggest having a range of 220 or so just to avoid "pucker factor" and offer options if a gas station is dry. Some days only will have 1 place with fuel.

Past experience on these types of rides is that you end up with a great group of people always willing to help. Riders don't have to be experts, but should be comfortable riding lots of dirt roads, have a good idea how to maintain their bike and do modest repairs, carry spare tubes or plugs and know how to fix a flat. The ride won't be "lead" and you're on your own to sort out into groups of riders of similar skills that enjoy each others company. We won't be one big mob, but a number of smaller groups. I find groups of 3-6 work well. Well, ultimately it depends on how many elect to go, if there are only 4-5 we'll figure out how much we want to break up. You also need to be able to use a GPS or ride with someone that does. A great many of the roads have no signage and maps are not particularly accurate. New roads may exist that don't show on maps, or ones on the maps may be obliterated or closed.

While the riding isn't especially technical, the country is remote and an injury will result in a long trip to help. I'd suggest an insurance program with an air ambulance service. I have one with Medstar out of Spokane that runs ~$56 a year for a whole family; I suspect there are others out there or if you have a local one they might have reciprocity. IMO, it's the bargain of the year for our sport. This isn't meant to scare anyone and we certainly don't expect to need one. But if you have to pay out of pocket for an air ambulance...figure $10k.

I'm updating this post on 2/12, or after post 117. If you will be going, please re-post. I'm going to add the list of attendees to this post and update it periodically. More info:

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/IDBDR

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/idbdr

********** Rider List ********
IdahoRenegade (Brian)
Doggitter
Gmountai
Sorebutt
Steveo1kenevo
Snakebreak
XR_Doug
Migrant
Ladybug

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:42 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Do you know if the IBDR will include the Idaho T routes I've been reading about? I don't think some of that is anything I should get involved in, but if it's not much more serious than the OBDR it'd be a blast.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Do you know if the IBDR will include the Idaho T routes I've been reading about? I don't think some of that is anything I should get involved in, but if it's not much more serious than the OBDR it'd be a blast.
Certainly not the vast majority of T1, from what I have read. That is focused on dirt bikes and is way over my head. The BDR is focused on bigger, ADV bikes. I've been on the Lolo Motorway, Magruder and Moon Pass; all are fine for big bikes. I hope the rest is as well. I guess that's why it's an adventure. Remember the saying...sometimes Adventures Suck when you're having them!

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 09-29-2014 at 10:29 PM
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

So will you be big biking it then?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
So will you be big biking it then?
Plan to take the V-Strom. My butt hurts from just thinking about riding the WRR to the starting point.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Very tentatively in. That would be a week and a half for me, need to work that out at home.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
gmountai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'd like to throw my hat. Probably won't be able to ride the whole route, but would enjoy riding part of it due to limited time off. I live in Boise and could offer up some tent space, showers, burgers and beer for anyone passing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
gmountai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Have they (Touratec) finalized the route yet? They were just mapping it out this summer when we saw them on the Lolo Motorway in August.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Have they (Touratec) finalized the route yet? They were just mapping it out this summer when we saw them on the Lolo Motorway in August.
They haven't "published" them yet. Beyond that, I have no idea.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
I"ve been interested in it from the first time I read they were doing it. I've probably ridden most of it already, but I haven't been in the extreme south or north.

Count me in. I'll follow you and the V-Strom anywhere.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
langstang96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I was not able to make the BOM2014. Very unfortunate. I would be interested more so the last week of August or the first or second week of September. Earlier than that interferes with Family Vacations. I have subscribed so I can follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
langstang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
The only time I can't do it is the 3rd weekend of July.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 322
Hell yes!

My BOM2014 got REALLY abbreviated. Maybe I'll have better luck on an Idaho ride.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,485
How Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
My BOM2014 got REALLY abbreviated. Maybe I'll have better luck on an Idaho ride.

4r
Hey 4r..how are you doing?

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post

4r
Sorry I don't recall your screen name from BOM14. Were you the broken ankle on day 1 or 2? Hope things go better this time.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 11-08-2014 at 07:24 PM