ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #106
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
. Poorly worded at best.
I quoted your post but the second part was in response to CrazyBrit, sorry! Poorly worded on MY part.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #107
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
BMW F650 (pre-2001) exhaust - Cheap

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/1474623428.html

Just saw this on the Seattle CL - $50 for an F650 muffler and cat is a pretty decent price.

Yeah, they're stainless, weigh a ton, and have all the sonic appeal of the Farting Room at a Weasel Convention, but if you gotta go buy one they're kind of a BIT spendy.....

No knowledge other than what you see, no interest, no money or electrons changed hands....

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #108
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX
You can even sign and date the title if you want, and give it to the next owner with a bill of sale from you. Totally legit. My Toyota was handled that way, DMV had no problems with it.
There are some pretty hefty penalty fees if you don't apply for new title within 15 days. From WA state DMV web site:

Deadlines and penalties
You must transfer ownership into your name within 15 calendar days from the date of purchase, or pay the following penalties:

•$25 on the 16th day.
•$2 per day for each day after the 16th day, up to a maximum of $100.

As to having the seller sell you a vehicle by signing the title with no date and not filling in the buyer, this requires a sympathetic and trusting seller because they are on the hook until a report of sale is filed...

Why file a report of sale?
The report of sale does NOT transfer ownership, but will release you from legal liability if you file the report properly. If you don’t file a report of sale, you may be held liable for parking tickets, impound fees, and other financial liabilities incurred by the new owner until they transfer the title into their name.

Personally, I'd never consider selling a vehicle without fully filling out the title with a buyer and immediately filing a report of sale. Likewise, I wouldn't buy a vehicle from someone with a BOS and a different name on the title from the seller. And I'd be nervous walking into a DMV with a title in one name and a BOS from another.

I've heard some say you can use the "2nd reassignment" part of the title to handle a flip, but this is for dealers only, so you'd need to launder the paperwork through a dealer.

All in all, it's certainly possible to flip a bike and not have it run through your ownership (thus avoiding the huge sales tax hit), but it is not as simple as you say unless you are a registered dealer.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #109
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Toy Hauler $400!!!

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/1474301033.html
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #110
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
WA
My information was for Oregon.

Oregon has similar fees, but if there is a bill-of-sale in-between, the fees no longer apply.

Also, as far as releasing liability, if the seller files the release online in Oregon, that's it, you're done, 24 hours later you are not responsible for what happens with\to that car.

If you are going to have the previous owner date the title, and they make you sign it and date it on the spot, you could wind up paying fees, unless, as I said, you turn around and sell it to someone else with an oregon DMV bill-of-sale-form.

Also, as a side story, I purchased a car at one point with a WA title that had been signed and dated TWO YEARS before I came into possession of the car. Oregon DMV had no problem with it, no fees.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #111
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,131
Ya, it's two weeks from the date on the bill of sale if multiple BOSs done after original title signed. As long as the VIN on the headtube matches that found on the papers and you have enough bills of sale/odometer disclosure statements - I can't see a problem when it comes time to license the vehicle provided it's done within 15 days of the date of sale "reported". Assuming it had multiple owners and neither licensed it there's no reporting of when the sale occurred so the buyer ought to be able to determine the date of "sale" by when he wants to license it himself.

Sometimes the state just has to go without - sorta like life.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #112
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby
I was convinced the price was $4,000, but he typed it as $400 twice...

(That said, I almost bought a trailer that size back in NY that was gutted for practically free... it was just too big)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #113
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee
I don't think I can go wrong in buying that XT for $1400.00-I want to ride it for at least a year and even if I sell it for a little less than I paid for it who cares-cannot imagine that bike will be worth much less than $1400.00 to someone in a year...

Quote:
I can met you at 1PM today at my home. //address deleted// I have a bike ramp to load bike. I have title but not a bill of sale. I think I can just write that on a piece of paper.
Link - wazzup? Did you look and reject or just bail on it? I had asked them yesterday but never got an answer - today (AFTER noon WTF?!) I find this in the inbox.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #114
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
Assuming it had multiple owners and neither licensed it there's no reporting of when the sale occurred so the buyer ought to be able to determine the date of "sale" by when he wants to license it himself.
Again, you can do it this way, but it takes cooperation from the parties, cooperation I'd never give to someone I didn't know/trust - when I sign a BOS, I'm not going to leave the date blank, not going to leave the new owner on the title blank, nor not immediately file a report of sale.

Oregon has no sales tax, so all these issues are mostly academic. In WA, unless you're a dealer, every time a sale is made, the state wants their 9.x% sales tax and if two consecutive sales are made in the space of week and you don't report one, you're committing fraud and if the money is significant, I suspect they'd prosecute.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #115
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,347
just as an FYI, Oregon DMV forms are printable from their online site,,Bill of Sale, etc,
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #116
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger

Link - wazzup? Did you look and reject or just bail on it? I had asked them yesterday but never got an answer - today (AFTER noon WTF?!) I find this in the inbox.
I just got home geez- I didn't get up there until noon-rained like a banshee all the way up.
let's put it this way...
The cute owner needs money-she emphasized that right away. When I got there some dude showed up in his SUV and loomed over the whole deal. The battery is dead so we had to jump start it twice and I had to bump start it a few times when it died riding around the neighborhood. Looks like it was her kid's bike. No plate, alot of the plastic had rash on it as did the tank. Clutch lever was a stub, shift lever was bent and it looked like it has had minimum maintenance in it's 5 years. I'm guessing she would take $1300.00. Put a battery, new clutch lever and shift lever along with new plate, title fees etc plus change out the kiddie footpegs that look like they are standard on those bikes and you would have a $1500.00 bike that in a year you could probably sell for $1500.00 or a little more. If I was going to buy a xt225 and keep it for awhile I'd probably buy one in better shape with a few farkles already on it like a rear rack. Was a bit small and underpowered plus I didn't have a good feeling about the deal so I passed-it's all yours as I'm going to wait for a good deal on a DR to come up or wait for a nicer xt to come along and save my money over the winter. I'm thinking that a $1500.00 DR350 would be a way better bike.

linkweewee screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 05:47 PM
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #117
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Again, you can do it this way, but it takes cooperation from the parties, cooperation I'd never give to someone I didn't know/trust - when I sign a BOS, I'm not going to leave the date blank, not going to leave the new owner on the title blank, nor not immediately file a report of sale.

Oregon has no sales tax, so all these issues are mostly academic. In WA, unless you're a dealer, every time a sale is made, the state wants their 9.x% sales tax and if two consecutive sales are made in the space of week and you don't report one, you're committing fraud and if the money is significant, I suspect they'd prosecute.

- Mark
Not no dealer here. Just a whack job motorcycle freak who's bought a sold some bikes. I'm talking 'bout buying a bike from a guy who hasn't titled it in his name yet. I'm not saying I would do this practice on a clean title if I were the seller.

I had one guy ask me to write in gift. I said no because if it were actually gifted sometime the state only allows for it to be gifted once. I believe it could be traded by not gifted again. Of course he wanted to usurp the use tax but that is outright fraud too.

Even a man of such low moral values has his limits.

shrubitup screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 05:14 PM
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #118
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
I just got home geez- I didn't get up there until noon-rained like a banshee all the way up.
let's put it this way...
The cute owner needs money-she emphasized that right away. When I got there some dude showed up in his SUV and loomed over the whole deal. The battery is dead so we had to jump start it twice and I had to bump start it a few times when it died riding around the neighborhood. Looks like it was her kid's bike. No plate, alot of the plastic had rash on it as did the tank. Clutch lever was a stub, shift lever was bent and it looked like it has had minimum maintenance in it's 5 years. I'm guessing she would take $1300.00. Put a battery, new clutch lever and shift lever along with new plate, title fees etc plus change out the kiddie footpegs that look like they are standard on those bikes and you would have a $1500.00 bike that in a year you could probably sell for $1500.00 or a little more. If I was going to buy a xt225 and keep it for awhile I'd probably buy one in better shape with a few farkles already on it like a rear rack. Was a bit small and underpowered plus I didn't have a good feeling about the deal so I passed-it's all yours as I'm going to wait for a good deal on a DR to come up or wait for a nicer xt to come along and save my money over the winter. I'm thinking that a $1500.00 DR350 would be a way better bike.
good recon - thanks! growler to go or a couple fresh offa' the tap if your in the VIC.
Tanks,
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #119
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Quote:
No salt mines today?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #120
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1474520332.html
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote