Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
Have a seat, let's have a cup of coffee together..

The official coffee thread... From picking, to roasting to drinking. Let's kick it off with this amazing story.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
A coffee thread is a great idea, but as I've become more and more busy I strayed away from 'good' coffee, and that french press I bought (you know the kind - it lets through more oils, but makes ya have to use the toilet), and went with Nescafe Clasico instant, or sometimes StarBucks instant.

Real good coffee is great for those who have the time and money, but ... I sure don't anymore.

In the tea category, while wholey different, for a bold taste try Lapsang Souchong tea.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 04:52 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #3

Oddometer: 4,716
My biological mother has started roasting her own coffee. At first it wasn't so hot but now her roasters have been seasoned and she has gained some experience. The latest Honduran she did was fantastick. She's starting to gain some regular customers.

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house so a simple single cup pour over device is what I use. I like illy brand dark roast. There is also a guy out in Greenport that roasts a great blend called Orient Express. I pick up a pound or two whenever I'm out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.

13 screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 11:37 AM
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
The official coffee thread... From picking, to roasting to drinking. Let's kick it off with this amazing story.

Great video...

I have been home roasting for about 3 years now. I have a Hot Top roaster that I bought used and refirbished.

I have a strong preference for Etheopian coffees but my wife and son prefer a blend.

There is soooo much to learn. While I think I have it down pretty good and my friends and family rave, there is always room for improvement.

I think the largest contributor in a good cup besides fresh roasted, properly rested coffee is the grind followed by a tightly controlled temperature on brewing.

Mmmmmm Coffee.....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
What an amazing thread topic...why did I not think of it first!

Gotta love ADVrider!

I started home roasting about a year ago and just received 20lbs from sweet marias last week. When I get home I will take some pictures of the pour over stand that I built.

I use a whirley popper that I confiscated from my wife, along with a coleman camp stove for roasting about a pound of coffee at a time. It tastes amazing, way better than anything that you can get in a store.

Great video btw...
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
A coffee thread is a great idea, but as I've become more and more busy I strayed away from 'good' coffee, and that french press I bought (you know the kind - it lets through more oils, but makes ya have to use the toilet), and went with Nescafe Clasico instant, or sometimes StarBucks instant.

Real good coffee is great for those who have the time and money, but ... I sure don't anymore.
I used to wear a green apron...and really prefer Asia-Pacific, specifically Sumatra and Sulawesi. Unfortunately finances limit me to the same Nescafe Classico and Folgers swill paid for by the school.

When I get home at night, Brook Bond Red Label or TyPhoo is our tea of choice. My wife evidently didn't get the Swedish coffee gene from her parents. Thus the single cup over as well. sigh.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,846
I've been roasting for about 3 years.

I have a KLR style roaster, bread machine, heat gun. Shop vac for cooling.

I have about $30 in my setup, and I can roast 1lb at a time (works out 2 about once a week).

I get my beans from Burman Coffee (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

I love to give fresh coffee as a gift, and everyone seems to like it.

Kenyan seems to be my favorite, I hope the prices stay where they are. Otherwise my wife and I like some of the Brazilians as well.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Been home roasting for almost a year and have done 100 batches on my Gene Cafe. Use a Baratza Preciso for my grinder and a Gaggia Classic for my Espresso maker.

Very happy with my coffee. Eventually would like to upgrade to a better espresso maker won't get spousal permission for that anytime soon...

Almost always bring my coffee with me when I travel along with an Aeropress. Sometimes will bring my grinder and Gaggia as well...

Get my beans at Sweet Maria's. Should be putting in a new order in the next day or two.

My bikes now share space with my coffee stuff in my Man Cave...

Jon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
rd1900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
I use a whirley popper that I confiscated from my wife, along with a coleman camp stove for roasting about a pound of coffee at a time. It tastes amazing, way better than anything that you can get in a store.
Can you share your roasting process?
rd1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,139
cyclops roasts coffee on cast iron over an open fire at select events. It was pretty cool to watch him do it and the coffee was darn tasty too.

I buy coffee from Cafe Britt. My fave is from Costa Rica, supposed to be getting 6 lbs of it today.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
If you ever head down the Baja, go in to Baja Beans in Pescadero. Fellow there roasts Mexican coffee beans, and has a great little shop,featuring breakfast, etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Gimme!

I used to work at Gimme! in Ithaca, NY...never go to roast, but got to taste some amazing stuff... I was the guy who blended and bagged and shipped for a while though...

Great stuff, still...
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 223
percolator?

what says the collective about percolator technology?

I've been getting by with the french press and the aeropresso, but I've been curious about the stove-top percolator. opinions?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
what says the collective about percolator technology?

I've been getting by with the french press and the aeropresso, but I've been curious about the stove-top percolator. opinions?
I find it easy to over cook the coffee.

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I find it easy to over cook the coffee.
I think it is the fastest way to shitty coffee, but maybe that is just the people I know that use them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: