User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #31
SuperSlug
The Space Worm

Oddometer: 2,715
Very cool. I wish that could be my winter project.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,528
Very cool, mine is not nearly as nice. 2004 model 6x10 haulmark from kccraigslist for $1500. Folddown bunk, dollar store table, ebay wheel chocks, roof vent etc. I home built my own vnose bolted to the tongue and use it for chairs, water jugs etc. It also doubles as a shower stall. I tow mine with a 4cyl chevy colorado.
With the vnose my mileage is cut by less than a third vs half without. I try to stay off the interstates and keep the speed around 65. I use a blem deep cycle battery and inverter to charge the laptop, too bad solar is so spendy. Nice job!
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #33
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Very cool, mine is not nearly as nice. 2004 model 6x10 haulmark from kccraigslist for $1500. Folddown bunk, dollar store table, ebay wheel chocks, roof vent etc. I home built my own vnose bolted to the tongue and use it for chairs, water jugs etc. It also doubles as a shower stall. I tow mine with a 4cyl chevy colorado.
With the vnose my mileage is cut by less than a third vs half without. I try to stay off the interstates and keep the speed around 65. I use a blem deep cycle battery and inverter to charge the laptop, too bad solar is so spendy. Nice job!
How about a pic of the Vnose mod??
Old 11-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #34
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
How about a pic of the Vnose mod??
Here ya go, not that pretty but functional.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...z/DSCN0855.jpg

http://mrsgoodearth.smugmug.com/Moto...59_2FWB2-M.jpg

My next experiment will be to cover the back half of the truck bed to keep the air moving until it gets split by the cone. Should have built it about 5" taller, but had ideas of tying it into the roof seam, an old bug shield fills the gap.

katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #35
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

I spotted this in texas on my last adventure....lots of mods....

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #36
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Outlaw
Well done.
I've been contemplating this for a few years, with a gooseneck or 5W type.

+1

With one of these:

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #37
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

I have been thinking of buying a flat bed truck (diesel)...and buying a cargo trailer yanking the axles off of it and mounting it on the flat bed..... and doing the camp conversion. Adventure camp....dont need the shit tank, oven, or the microwave that comes with overpriced leaky wooden wall camper trailers.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #38
Bendejo
Movin' on up

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Here ya go, not that pretty but functional.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...z/DSCN0855.jpg

http://mrsgoodearth.smugmug.com/Moto...59_2FWB2-M.jpg

My next experiment will be to cover the back half of the truck bed to keep the air moving until it gets split by the cone. Should have built it about 5" taller, but had ideas of tying it into the roof seam, an old bug shield fills the gap.

That's awesome. I hate my trailer because of the wind drag, I might have to try that.
Bendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #39
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

any new ideas here???
Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
I have been thinking of buying a flat bed truck (diesel)...and buying a cargo trailer yanking the axles off of it and mounting it on the flat bed..... and doing the camp conversion. Adventure camp....dont need the shit tank, oven, or the microwave that comes with overpriced leaky wooden wall camper trailers.
Expedition Portal has quite a few examples of those.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Why not just get a cube van or box truck? Eliminate the scrapped trailer aspect...???
Hardware02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Bumping This For Help...

Question for HighTechCoonAss but any other FF'er with a clue is welcome...

I like the idea of the cargo trailer conversion - using it as a bike hauler and then pseudo camper. Here's what I want and why: I really want a rolltop (like HTCA's Haulmark) so that I can cut the entire roof off where the bend begins and build a poptop mechanism that raises and lowers the whole shooting match maybe 1-2 feet with a screen and canvas surround like any other poptop. I really don't want it for headroom - I want it for a sleeping platform so that I don't have to sleep in the cargo box with all the gas and oil that will end up on the floor from dragging around bikes and other dirty crap. My intention is to completely isolate the sleeping platform from the box save an access hatch from the interior.

So here's the question for those that have owned cargo trailers: Do you think that the uprights can be cut like I'm thinking about? Anyone ever seen or attempted such a task??

I've gone through all of the sites I could think of and nothing like what I've described...

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #43
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Question for HighTechCoonAss but any other FF'er with a clue is welcome...

I like the idea of the cargo trailer conversion - using it as a bike hauler and then pseudo camper. Here's what I want and why: I really want a rolltop (like HTCA's Haulmark) so that I can cut the entire roof off where the bend begins and build a poptop mechanism that raises and lowers the whole shooting match maybe 1-2 feet with a screen and canvas surround like any other poptop. I really don't want it for headroom - I want it for a sleeping platform so that I don't have to sleep in the cargo box with all the gas and oil that will end up on the floor from dragging around bikes and other dirty crap. My intention is to completely isolate the sleeping platform from the box save an access hatch from the interior.

So here's the question for those that have owned cargo trailers: Do you think that the uprights can be cut like I'm thinking about? Anyone ever seen or attempted such a task??

I've gone through all of the sites I could think of and nothing like what I've described...
I think I know what you mean. the only thing I could find that may look kind of like what you meant is this unfinished made from a flat utility trailer thing:

Found that on http://www.tnttt.com/.

Or you could get one of these:

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #44
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
You are sort of on the right track WolfTamer. But the starting point wouldn't be a flat trailer but ideally a 5x10 or 6x12 enclosed trailer. Then where the sidewalls begin their bend to the roof - I want to cut it, put in scissor lifts with electric actuators and raise the roof (like the maggiolina's roof tent you posted). Then basically have a flat platform where the bend began that would go side to side and front to back to act as the bed platform - thus making it sealed off from the inside of the cargo hold (with an access port of some kind from the inside).

I love the roof tents, but reality is its either an enclosed trailer to haul the bike or a van. Obviously the trailer is ALOT cheaper and could have some potential to act as a base camp too.

Thanks for putting some brain time to it!

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #45
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
I knew that's what you were talking about and after reading through that forum I think you could do what you envision. Only problem was I couldn't find a pic of anyone that had done it other than from scratch builds. My guess is with some sort of frame below where you want the sleeping quarters, you should be able to do what you describe.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: