Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #151
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbo
Crappo, you guys got my curiosity up. Do I need to have someone catch my bike after I fall off it? Sounds 3135 and 3137 will be a Sunday adventure for the 1150.
Sunday's predicted to have some nice weather. What sort of tires are you running on the 1150? Sounds like knobbies would be good to have on these roads, but I don't recall seeing anything aggressive on your bike when we rode last Sunday. Good luck with it. Please let those of us who cannot ride this weekend know how it goes.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #152
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
He was just telling me that we may be losing some roads in the future to closures 3150 is one. Might need to start a new thread the Roughest Roads in Texas
You mean a permanent closure, or just temporary to get it repaired?

Please do not let them pave anymore dirt roads.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #153
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
I show the coords at the intersection of those two roads as 31.688226 by -97.554903.

Doesn't look like much on the maps and sat, but those resources seldom reflect the real situation on the ground.

Looking forward to the photos.

Hey ghost, I didn't know there was a prison around in those parts, or are you using the term "prison" as a metaphor for your marriage? I guess another option would be "all of the above".

I'm looking forward to meeting you and riding with you some day soon. You seem like a fun guy.
Dahveed, I live near Gatesville, wife works at Woodman State jail, before that Hilltop. There are several womens units and a maximum security male unit. Unfortunately I am close enough that my horizons glow with their lights at night. Rumor has it life can be entertaining around me, rarely dull Just ask my wife, if it slows down too much all I got to do is piss her off
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #154
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
You mean a permanent closure, or just temporary to get it repaired?

Please do not let them pave anymore dirt roads.
Unfortunately I mean Permanant!!! A big game ranch now owns both sides of the road and wants to remove it The road is now lined by high game fence on both sides. As a point I would like to point out, I saw a nice 10 pt buck cross through the fences by ducking his head low enough to get his tines under the wire and going under the fence mother nature will find a waythe buck did this at a run!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #155
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
That be it I had road 3125 back to SH 6 and really thought nothing of 3137. I brought camera to take some pics today but may not get posted until Monday due to slow internet at home. I was really wishing I had Knobbies yesterday. But the Anakee 2s did better that I thought considering.
Anakee 2, huh? That's encouraging. What is the difference between the Anakee and the Anakee 2?

When I bought my 800GS I was all hot to wear out the stock Bridgestones and get some knobbies. But I have been surprised about what the B-stones could handle, and I like having a tire that performs well on pavement also. So now I am thinking Anakee or Metzeler Tourance for my all around tire, and put on knobbies when I'm going to truck or trailer to a more purely dirt ride, like the MT1000 next July.
Aanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #156
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Unfortunately I mean Permanant!!! A big game ranch now owns both sides of the road and wants to remove it
I think they'll need to have a public hearing to vacate the easement and then sell the land to the ranch. If enough citizens in that county show up at the hearing, it might be avoided. It would not do much for people that don't live there to show up at the hearing. I suspect people from the DFW area don't hold much sway with the county commissioners in Bosque (if I misspelled that, I'm sure canon will let me know).

Quote:
The road is now lined by high game fence on both sides. As a point I would like to point out, I saw a nice 10 pt buck cross through the fences by ducking his head low enough to get his tines under the wire and going under the fence mother nature will find a waythe buck did this at a run!!!
Likely learned that skill when he was a 4 pointer. Maybe why he is a 10 pointer today. People shooting at you is plenty of motivation to get creative in your fence breaching skills.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #157
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec
Anakee 2, huh? That's encouraging. What is the difference between the Anakee and the Anakee 2?

When I bought my 800GS I was all hot to wear out the stock Bridgestones and get some knobbies. But I have been surprised about what the B-stones could handle, and I like having a tire that performs well on pavement also. So now I am thinking Anakee or Metzeler Tourance for my all around tire, and put on knobbies when I'm going to truck or trailer to a more purely dirt ride, like the MT1000 next July.
Toltec, I have ran Tourances more than any other tire. Great road performance and fair off road. This is my first set of Anakees. Main difference for Anakee2s is the compound of which they are made from what I have read. I decided to try because they looked a little more aggressive then the Tourance. I ran my Vstrom with Tourances all over NEwMexico and Colorado. I only have about 600 miles on the anakees so I am not sure of final verdict. Initially, I do not like.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #158
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
I think they'll need to have a public hearing to vacate the easement and then sell the land to the ranch. If enough citizens in that county show up at the hearing, it might be avoided. It would not do much for people that don't live there to show up at the hearing. I suspect people from the DFW area don't hold much sway with the county commissioners in Bosque (if I misspelled that, I'm sure canon will let me know).

Likely learned that skill when he was a 4 pointer. Maybe why he is a 10 pointer today. People shooting at you is plenty of motivation to get creative in your fence breaching skills.
Historically, if no one else lives on the road, the commisioners have voted to close it. One road(CR4250) was even rerouted around a ranch. Big gate where the road went over to FM 2602. As to the buck, you are probably right cause he would have been 140 or better class buck. Unfortunately, the high game places are here to stay with more being built daily. Was gettin fuel at lunch and a guy was showing off his big buck with an ear tag. Thats like shooting a cow in the pasture
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #159
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
A big game ranch now owns both sides of the road and wants to remove it The road is now lined by high game fence on both sides. As a point I would like to point out, I saw a nice 10 pt buck cross through the fences by ducking his head low enough to get his tines under the wire and going under the fence
So I have an image in my head - you basically rode through a shooting gallery. Ya might want to get a KTM and matching Hi-Viz orange gear.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #160
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec
So I have an image in my head - you basically rode through a shooting gallery. Ya might want to get a KTM and matching Hi-Viz orange gear.

When I rode KTMs, they were white....am I telling my age now
Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #161
J-Ball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
FWIW the Anakee is a great tire for DS riding IMO. It can handle pretty much anything a county road can throw at you UNLESS its muddy of course. On the pavement it rails, wears good too.

Let's see some pics of this wicked sounding road in Bosque Co.

Roughest Roads in Texas..... I likey! I'm afraid there won't be many rough public roads to report on. Damn privately owned state. Oh how I wish we had tens of thousands of acres of state owned land to enjoy. This is coming from a person who almost NEVER says state = good....and from a private land owner as well!

I live on one of Llano Co's best DS roads. It's not rough to me, but it is scenic with sandy deep creek crossings, and is simply a blast to ride. I almost considered moving back to Austin but when I realized I wouldn't be able to ride every day out here I re-prioritized my life! My favorite thing to do now is wake up early and be on the bike as the sun is coming up. Go pound out 100 miles or so before work......I think its keeping me sane.... well kinda
J-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #162
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

J-Ball, Riding is my happy pill. I was at a meeting the other day and as it was breaking up, meds came up with my female co workers, seem I am the only one in my department not on meds!!! Even my boss admitted to taking them!!! DAMMMITTT! AND THEY THINK I AM CRAZY
All they want to do is watch TV and take happy pills I ride almost everyday even in 23 degrees, cept today cause I have to pick up feed for cows and llama.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #163
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Well took my big Dodge to get some pics of 3137. Got there just before dark. Whip out the camera push the button and error!!! No card inserted!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #164
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ball
FWIW the Anakee is a great tire for DS riding IMO. It can handle pretty much anything a county road can throw at you UNLESS its muddy of course. On the pavement it rails, wears good too.
No end of opposing opinions on tires (and bikes and everything else). I gues it's a matter of picking one and riding it. But Tourance and Anakee have both gotten thumbs up from quite a few riders.

Quote:
I live on one of Llano Co's best DS roads.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #165
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Historically, if no one else lives on the road, the commisioners have voted to close it. One road(CR4250) was even rerouted around a ranch. Big gate where the road went over to FM 2602. As to the buck, you are probably right cause he would have been 140 or better class buck. Unfortunately, the high game places are here to stay with more being built daily. Was gettin fuel at lunch and a guy was showing off his big buck with an ear tag. Thats like shooting a cow in the pasture
The only other argument that could impact a road closure is that people use it to travel on, but most people actually only use these roads if they live on them. As I write this I saw another area where a former CR was vacated and became the road into the private hunting ranch. It showed on my maps as a CR, but it also had a gate on it and was posted. Thats a deal, isn't it. Get the county to build the road and then give it to you...

These game ranches are how many former cattle ranches make money these days. Apparently the breeding of deer has gotten to be a good business. I hunted birds when I was a kid cause a friend's Dad had access to some land in Godley (it was in the country back then). We'd pile into his pick up, swing by Gibson's for a box of shells and head out there. We were 16 or 17 at the time. It was less than $5 for gas, shells, and maybe some burger king after. Today, no farmer gives the hunting rights on their land. They all sell them. A good lease costs $1,500 or more per gun now. Kids can't buy shells and its probably illegal for 16 and 17 YO kids to be a possession of a shotgun. Wow, I sound like a grumpy old man.

Anyway, hunting is big business now. I quit it when it became a rich man's sport. Today the hardest part of hunting is gathering all the cash you need to do it...

So now I do motorcycles now because no matter how much cash you have, you can still drop your bike.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R