Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #2506
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
Nope. But I'm thinking about buying a set to put on just for the rally. Tired of tricycling around those loose corners. I honestly think I was passed by a tortoise. No front grip at all on that powder.
Well, I can put em on and admire until then Make myself ride the RT..It does have new shoes
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #2507
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
Kenda? No sir.. that's a Continental TKC 80 up front.. and the Mefo super explorer out back. They work well on the highway.. the front is a bit skitchy for the first hundred miles but it wears in nicely. I ordered the tires from KTMtwins.com...
Sorry bout that, I remembered the MEfo for sure...don't know where I got Kenda at...lol
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #2508
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Arkansas tracks

Hey, Dahveed, did you get your Nuvi in time for your trip? I'd love to see the tracks, and get a review of the unit.

Your experience with the flats is a good argument for riding in a group. My tire changing skills SUCK and it's good to have a helping hand. I need to get an old wheel and practice this at home.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #2509
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Trying to decide whether to buy some TKCs or not...reckon I would have any left come Rally time???
I just ordered a set of TKCs for myself, I predict the need for a second set by the end of October. This rain should make next weekend fun.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #2510
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Hey, Shady. Do some scouting, will ya? I think I'm headed down Junction way. A little outside our search parameters for the rally.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #2511
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Hey, Shady. Do some scouting, will ya? I think I'm headed down Junction way. A little outside our search parameters for the rally.
When ya headed to Junction?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #2512
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec
Hey, Dahveed, did you get your Nuvi in time for your trip? I'd love to see the tracks, and get a review of the unit.

Your experience with the flats is a good argument for riding in a group. My tire changing skills SUCK and it's good to have a helping hand. I need to get an old wheel and practice this at home.
Very true...For us I had plugs and a compressor...Dahveed must have taken the KLR.....Toltec you gonna register for the Rally?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #2513
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, the last weekend I rode in Centex with Mudclod and Has been I had my fill of the dust. Don't panic, its organic! Maybe it counts as fiber.

Unfortunately for us, NW Arkansas and Missouri are pretty far away. Last night I found myself wishing I had trailered my bike up after finding that last flat. Could have just brought it home flat and fixed it here. Instead I was up till 11:00 wrestling the tire in the parking lot and then I had in the back of my mind the possibility of fixing it again on the side of the road today. Riding in an air conditioned truck sounded pretty good then. Next time I go, the trailer may be the way to do it. If I had a tire fail out there, I would have been stuck until Tuesday morning when the bike shop opened up (if there is one there). Maybe next spring I'll try to do the SLAP with knobies and trailer my bike up there.

BTW, when I was riding out there, I thought I heard banjo music in one spot.

From the photos, it looked like ya'll had a good ride. Found some new stuff. I'm ready to try it. It was good you could get out and get your share of the dust.

Dahveed, you need to go prepared next time. Always, I mean always take a new tube for both front and rear tires. Patching sucks on the side of the road. Put the new tube in the tire and patch at camp are in your case the hotel room, that way you can check to make sure the patch is correct and dry.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #2514
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs
Dahveed, you need to go prepared next time. Always, I mean always take a new tube for both front and rear tires. Patching sucks on the side of the road. Put the new tube in the tire and patch at camp are in your case the hotel room, that way you can check to make sure the patch is correct and dry.
Damn I love a tubeless tire
Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #2515
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec

I did get the Nuvi, but didn't use it too much. It came the Thursday afternoon and I left Friday morning. I also never got my power outlet installed so I was always saving the battery in case I got completely lost and needed it to find my way home. Lastly, I rode in a group and just followed the lead guy.

Also, there is a learning curve on using any GPS and I'm at the bottom of that hill.

Yeah, my tire changing skills are very basic. Its always safer and usually more enjoyable riding in a group. I had a pump, but no power source, so I would've had to remove the seat to get to the battery. Plus we used the other bikes sidestand to break the bead. Can't do that with one bike operation with the bike on the centerstand. Also, I didn't have a patch kit, so I used SSDan's patches.

My investment in center stand paid off big time. Plus some of these guys on this trip had years and years of experience plus extra tools and stuff. 2 of the flats were on cold tires - the AM and PM flat. We had a hell of a time breaking the bead on the evening flat. The lunch flat went smoothly.

For your bikes, you might want to consider the Tubliss system. A few guys there were raving about it. No more pinch flats and makes the wheels a couple of pounds lighter. Also, you can just plug and go or ride it flat if you get a puncture. I'd do it on my KLR, but they don't make a 17" set. Only 18", 19", and 21".

Whatever you do, don't bother patching a heavy duty tube unless its your only option. The patch will fail soon after and then you get to change the tire again.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #2516
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Dahveed, you are correct about the tubes. Tim Mitchell has told me that medium tubes hold patches much better than heavy-duty tubes (and my nephews agree). I had 3 flats on my KLR in Mexico with no centerstand so I feel your pain. Or I should say more correctly, my tire repairing nephews feel your pain.

As to being prepared, on our little adventure Monday I had plugs. No tools. No air. Just a pack of plugs. Thank God Dody had his entire garage with him.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #2517
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs
Bigdave - I was prepared! I had a spare tube for both front and rear tires. We only patched the first tube when the second one expired. That patch would have failed if we had put it on that morning in Orek or at the hotel. The heavy duty tires do not take patches well. I don't know why, but both the tube and the patch had a large crack in it. The patch didn't lift off. Maybe something about how the glue works.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #2518
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Dahveed, you are correct about the tubes. Tim Mitchell has told me that medium tubes hold patches much better than heavy-duty tubes (and my nephews agree). I had 3 flats on my KLR in Mexico with no centerstand so I feel your pain. Or I should say more correctly, my tire repairing nephews feel your pain.

As to being prepared, on our little adventure Monday I had plugs. No tools. No air. Just a pack of plugs. Thank God Dody had his entire garage with him.
Bad thing is I left the kitchen sink at home with the top box It had my medical gear, 3 day survival stuff
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #2519
ssdan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Bigdave - I was prepared! I had a spare tube for both front and rear tires. We only patched the first tube when the second one expired. That patch would have failed if we had put it on that morning in Orek or at the hotel. The heavy duty tires do not take patches well. I don't know why, but both the tube and the patch had a large crack in it. The patch didn't lift off. Maybe something about how the glue works.
I agree, he was prepared, I think the heavy tube was heavier than the patch and that was the failing point.

The patch worked for many miles 60ish and got him back to base camp, so I didn't consider it to be a complete fail.
ssdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #2520
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:

As Toltec said, its good to be with a couple of guys. There were guys in the parking lot of the hotel that had nearly every tool known to mankind (except a big bead breaker) on their bike, including shampoo or soapy water in a squirt bottle.

Mr2mch, SSdan, and I had everything we needed between the 3 of us. The lunchtime flat was one of the quickest ones we changed. Had I purchased the correct sized tube, there wouldn't have been a 2nd flat. I'm ordering a new tube today and am going to check my front spare tube to make sure its the right size. And I'm not going to order a heavy duty tube. The bike came with those heavy duty tubes in the first place, but I'll be using the standard tubes in replacement.

I tell you who rides with a good tool kit - Robert from the Austin BMW store. He was a big help on the first flat and then he left so he didn't get to help on flats 2 and 3. I'm sure he was disappointed to miss that opportunity.

The joke was "it takes a village to change a flat"

SOG, I'm sure you know this but those plugs are supposed to be temporary. You might need to take the tire in to a tire shop to get a permanent patch. I guess just any tire store can patch it? Or do you have to go to a motorcycle shop?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R