Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #2656
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
We'll do Columbia bridge next time, too. I didn't like wherever the hell we crossed very much. Not really unsafe, just not as slick as I hear Columbia Bridge is.
Been crossing at Colombia Bridge for the last 6-7 years. If you encounter a long line of 18 wheelers just go around them - they should wave you around. Never spent more than 30 minutes inside the building. Never lines of private vehicles.

Coupla things:

Toll road from IH35 was once private - now part of TxToll system. TxTag works or by-mail. No more toll plaza. If your vehicle reg address isn't current the by-mail system will screw you with late fees.

Banjercito building just past Migracion no longer serves the public - no exchange possible there. Try Casa de Cambio inside gas station on southbound IH35 service road in Encinal (S. of Artesia Wells). They offer a good exchange rate and should be able to handle a few hundred dollars. Otherwise you can do ATM's at Oxxo stores along MX2. Watch your speed on MX2 - cops like to set up in median breaks with radar.

On your return you surrender your TVIP at a little white bldg. on left curb as you approach Migracion. Cancel FMT inside Migracion as usual.

I'll be checking out the Anzalduas Bridge crossing in Reynosa next month. PirateJohn has been extolling its virtues. Should be even slicker than Colombia Bridge.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #2657
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
That should block a bit of wind. Definitely will need a taller to helmet to complete the look.

Find anything out about the big GS?
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #2658
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs
I hate dentists.
Well it wasn't so bad, but tomorrow may be the bad day. Yeah, more expensive then the motorcycle store and way less fun.

Having dental work done ranks just a notch or two above paying taxes. The main difference is the dentist is cheaper and he did do something for me.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #2659
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Been crossing at Colombia Bridge for the last 6-7 years. If you encounter a long line of 18 wheelers just go around them - they should wave you around. Never spent more than 30 minutes inside the building. Never lines of private vehicles.

Coupla things:

Toll road from IH35 was once private - now part of TxToll system. TxTag works or by-mail. No more toll plaza. If your vehicle reg address isn't current the by-mail system will screw you with late fees.

Banjercito building just past Migracion no longer serves the public - no exchange possible there. Try Casa de Cambio inside gas station on southbound IH35 service road in Encinal (S. of Artesia Wells). They offer a good exchange rate and should be able to handle a few hundred dollars. Otherwise you can do ATM's at Oxxo stores along MX2. Watch your speed on MX2 - cops like to set up in median breaks with radar.

On your return you surrender your TVIP at a little white bldg. on left curb as you approach Migracion. Cancel FMT inside Migracion as usual.

I'll be checking out the Anzalduas Bridge crossing in Reynosa next month. PirateJohn has been extolling its virtues. Should be even slicker than Colombia Bridge.
The border crossing isn't the problem with Mexico these days. Its the massive body count these drug gangs are amassing. Something tells me that the people who were responsible for killing 75 people the other day wouldn't hesitate at all at shooting anyone that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, you're riding a really nice HD, which the morally challenged there would love to have. That's why you need a KLR, less desirable (for the drug lords), less valuable, less noticeable than your shinny HOG.

I used to think the border was the problem area, but someone else told me that around the Copper Canyon area is a "drug trail" and so precautions need to be taken there as well.

So be careful when you head down there! Limit yourself to 8 beers and 4 tequila shots at any one meal so you stay sharp...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #2660
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
The border crossing isn't the problem with Mexico these days. Its the massive body count these drug gangs are amassing. Something tells me that the people who were responsible for killing 75 people the other day wouldn't hesitate at all at shooting anyone that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, you're riding a really nice HD, which the morally challenged there would love to have. That's why you need a KLR, less desirable (for the drug lords), less valuable, less noticeable than your shinny HOG.

I used to think the border was the problem area, but someone else told me that around the Copper Canyon area is a "drug trail" and so precautions need to be taken there as well.

So be careful when you head down there! Limit yourself to 8 beers and 4 tequila shots at any one meal so you stay sharp...
Been traveling to MC since '74 and have never felt in danger but you only have to find youself in the shit once and there you are. I truly believe the risk factors down there are still totally manageable.

Must admit to feeling somewhat conspicuous on the Harley last spring. People flocked to it like it was on fire or sumpin'. I'd put kids on the seat, start it up and let them crack open the throttle. They looked like I was pumping drugs into their veins. The Pemex girls, too.

The owner-on-site at our H-D dealership told me to start my Mexico DS riding with a KLR. Can't be beat as an all-around DS starter bike. From what I've read here I'd say that's good advice. Down the road I may graduate to a GS.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #2661
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Shady, I'm still in. I sent you a pm. Call me. Nephew #2 wants to ride. As to the bike....well, not so good but it won't bother me much to ride it.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #2662
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Been traveling to MC since '74 and have never felt in danger but you only have to find youself in the shit once and there you are. I truly believe the risk factors down there are still totally manageable.

Must admit to feeling somewhat conspicuous on the Harley last spring. People flocked to it like it was on fire or sumpin'. I'd put kids on the seat, start it up and let them crack open the throttle. They looked like I was pumping drugs into their veins. The Pemex girls, too.

The owner-on-site at our H-D dealership told me to start my Mexico DS riding with a KLR. Can't be beat as an all-around DS starter bike. From what I've read here I'd say that's good advice. Down the road I may graduate to a GS.
No doubt, the KLR has some advantages in the adventure touring department. They're affordable, pretty low tech and easy to fix, there's lots of crap available to purchase (compared to most DS bikes), and they come with a reasonably sized tank. Like HDs (and really just about every motorcycle out there), there are many mods you can make if you're looking for performance improvements.

However, they're not the best bike for trail riding, so if you looking for riding some pretty nasty stuff single track and such, you can find better bikes for that. But those bikes really end up being limited on long distance riding. Yes, really skilled riders can ride just about any bike any where, but any job is best done with the right tool. That's the thing about DS, its always a significant compromise on what your trying to achieve.

The KLR is a poor man's GS - BMW's are more expensive all the way around. Purchased new, add-ons, maintenance, parts, etc. But I guessing most BMWs are going to last longer than most other DS bikes. I think you're HD dealer gave you some good advice.

Its hard to beat a HD for being flashy and eye and ear catching. Maybe a custom chopper, but those aren't known for being comfortable.

Hey, if this doesn't make any sense, blame on the pain meds.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #2663
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

shadysmurf, no-name nephew #2, and I will leave from the station at 116 and US 84 in Gatesville at 8:30. We will either head south-west, north-west, north-east, or due west. That's the plan. Might need a few more details.... but it's still a plan. ;)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #2664
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
shadysmurf, no-name nephew #2, and I will leave from the station at 116 and US 84 in Gatesville at 8:30. We will either head south-west, north-west, north-east, or due west. That's the plan. Might need a few more details.... but it's still a plan. ;)
Wish I were riding that train but gotta get my single track fix. Catch you and nephew 2 next time.
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #2665
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
No doubt, the KLR has some advantages in the adventure touring department. They're affordable, pretty low tech and easy to fix, there's lots of crap available to purchase (compared to most DS bikes), and they come with a reasonably sized tank. Like HDs (and really just about every motorcycle out there), there are many mods you can make if you're looking for performance improvements.

However, they're not the best bike for trail riding, so if you looking for riding some pretty nasty stuff single track and such, you can find better bikes for that. But those bikes really end up being limited on long distance riding. Yes, really skilled riders can ride just about any bike any where, but any job is best done with the right tool. That's the thing about DS, its always a significant compromise on what your trying to achieve.

The KLR is a poor man's GS - BMW's are more expensive all the way around. Purchased new, add-ons, maintenance, parts, etc. But I guessing most BMWs are going to last longer than most other DS bikes. I think you're HD dealer gave you some good advice.

Its hard to beat a HD for being flashy and eye and ear catching. Maybe a custom chopper, but those aren't known for being comfortable.

Hey, if this doesn't make any sense, blame on the pain meds.
Kidnapping is the latest craze with the mexican narcos. I get a DHS brief every morning at work and these narco guys are targeting Americans...ransoms can be as low as a $1000 or much higher. They tend to target individuals or small groups though reports of mass kidnappings (more than 20) have occured numerous times. Many times the police are in on the kidnappings! So many people there on the take!
BTW...Robert from Lonestar sent you a care package...wanna meant at Loco tomorrow evening? I brought the Pope Mobile home
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #2666
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Kidnapping is the latest craze with the mexican narcos. I get a DHS brief every morning at work and these narco guys are targeting Americans...ransoms can be as low as a $1000 or much higher. They tend to target individuals or small groups though reports of mass kidnappings (more than 20) have occured numerous times. Many times the police are in on the kidnappings! So many people there on the take!
BTW...Robert from Lonestar sent you a care package...wanna meant at Loco tomorrow evening? I brought the Pope Mobile home
Sounds good. I might be caging it and I might not be able to eat much, but getting out is sounding good. I want to see the new ride!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #2667
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Big fun on the wonder pig today. Thanks shady smurf and nephew2 for letting an old guy hang around. Gee. My ankle hurts from showing shady my unique and well-thought out slime crossing technique. The waterfall was pretty. My fall? Not so much. lol ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 06:31 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #2668
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Anything going on Sunday?

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 07:13 PM
Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #2669
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Big fun on the wonder pig today. Thanks shady smurf and nephew2 for letting an old guy hang around. Gee. My ankle hurts from showing shady my unique and well-thought out slime crossing technique. The waterfall was pretty. My fall? Not so much. lol ;)
No photo evidence means it never happened...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #2670
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

I don't know. I think those two fellas will remember my cat-like reflexes for a while. When I give advice I look to give folks a visual reference. Since I had no PowerPoint available I had to improvise and use an IRL demo. It went like this:

you are heading down a rocky rutted dirt goat path, downhill approaching a concrete LWC with a raised dam with waterfall on your left and a big drop off on your right. You see a small puddle and past that a dry area right before an algae covered deathspot. Being the mature sensible rider I am I decide to use my vast experience in this teachable moment and stop at the dry spot and walk the snot crossing with flowing waterfall.

I proceed to bust my ass in the puddle before ever making it to the dry spot. The bike lands on my ankle. Thank you. Thank you. Your applause is unnecessary. I'm just here to serve as a good example for our youth.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 12:48 AM