Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #3991
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,443
I'll check them out next time I'm up there. I'm starting to ride on more rutted up trails and I'm paranoid about jacking my foot up in a "mild" off. Since I'm coming from a crotch rocket my gear isn't exactly dirt oriented and I'm currently wearing some Built boots. They've been good to me but they aren't a mx boot by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd prefer a Fox brand boot just because that's what my compression suit is. The reviews on their high end boots seem hard to come by though compared to the Alpine Stars. Any advice here? Money isn't to much of an issue on this particular purchase but $300 is about the max I'd be willing to pay if the boots are worth it.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #3992
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I'll check them out next time I'm up there. I'm starting to ride on more rutted up trails and I'm paranoid about jacking my foot up in a "mild" off. Since I'm coming from a crotch rocket my gear isn't exactly dirt oriented and I'm currently wearing some Built boots. They've been good to me but they aren't a mx boot by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd prefer a Fox brand boot just because that's what my compression suit is. The reviews on their high end boots seem hard to come by though compared to the Alpine Stars. Any advice here? Money isn't to much of an issue on this particular purchase but $300 is about the max I'd be willing to pay if the boots are worth it.
Try the AXO boots from Atomic Moto.com. Excellent price, good lugged sole, lots of armor, but still flexible enough for dual sporting.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #3993
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:

Moose racing makes a good boot also. Their butt ugly, but are really tough, pretty comfy after a few wearings. You can get them in either smooth or lugged soles.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #3994
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
I think good adventure riding gear is hard to find, thought if you get a small DS bike, MX stuff works well. I wanted a boot that would be comfy all day and have some luggs on the bottom for traction when I'm standing or walking. Many MX boots have slick soles.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #3995
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I think good adventure riding gear is hard to find, thought if you get a small DS bike, MX stuff works well. I wanted a boot that would be comfy all day and have some luggs on the bottom for traction when I'm standing or walking. Many MX boots have slick soles.
I am a bout to get me some new boots too...I want lugs...
Anyone know much about Icon helmets???
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #3996
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

I toyed with getting a Varient 2 helmet by them, but went with the Shoei DS helmet instead. It was cheaper than the Icon Varient helmet. I watch the product review video at Revzilla and purchased it there. My only experience with them, but it was good.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #3997
Agman
Ranching Rider

Oddometer: 242
Boots, etc.

Hay Ghost, check out atomic-moto.com and talk with Brian. These are very people oriented and knowledable folks and in these times, it is rare. I spoke with them today about some dual sport boots and Brian took me to school about modern boots on the market today. I have no experience with Icon helmets, but I have a bunch of other Icon stuff, and they are great.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #3998
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
So true. I have a DRZ so I've decided to go with a layering scheme sorta like if I was backpacking on my torso consisting of a moisture wicking base layer, compression shirt, insulation as needed, and a rain jacket with lots of vents over it all. That should cover just about everything the weather can throw at a person.

On my legs I'm thinking MX boots, knee braces, and (if I can find some that'll work) baggy jeans over the top. Or maybe I'll just run Kevlar lined jeans....

For a helmet I have an AVG full face and I just picked up a One Industries Kombat Traffic helmit from Cycle Gear (I figured it was hard to beat for $60 on sale). But I had to send it back because they run so small. I'm not really interested in repeating this process for boots so I was hoping to find some place semi-local with a good selection to try on.

Does anyone have any tips on sizing these things over the net? I know the Built boots I have run pretty small. I guess I could just call, chat, order a few pairs, and then send back the ones that don't fit but that's a hassle.

Those AXO boots look like a bargain... I'm going to have to look at them closely.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #3999
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
So true. I have a DRZ so I've decided to go with a layering scheme sorta like if I was backpacking on my torso consisting of a moisture wicking base layer, compression shirt, insulation as needed, and a rain jacket with lots of vents over it all. That should cover just about everything the weather can throw at a person.

On my legs I'm thinking MX boots, knee braces, and (if I can find some that'll work) baggy jeans over the top. Or maybe I'll just run Kevlar lined jeans....
Knee/shin guards under jeans will work well, but can be hot in the summer (so I hear).

I think the kevlar jeans are not needed. They're great on the abrasion resistance, but road rash is not a significant factor on the trails. Impacting (rocks, trees, etc) is a more likely sort of injury on a trail, so pads with built-in abrasion resistance are a good idea.

I've seen people wearing those Klim armored pants on top of the MX style boot. Many MX style pants are also of breathable mesh. Its worth taking the time to figure out where you're planning to do some riding. Desert SW or rainy forests of AR.

I agree with you on the problems of getting gear from the internet. Sizing can be a huge problem. I'd get the pants, boots, and knee guards all at one time since they're kinda of system.

Good luck!
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #4000
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Knee/shin guards under jeans will work well, but can be hot in the summer (so I hear).

I think the kevlar jeans are not needed. They're great on the abrasion resistance, but road rash is not a significant factor on the trails. Impacting (rocks, trees, etc) is a more likely sort of injury on a trail, so pads with built-in abrasion resistance are a good idea.

I've seen people wearing those Klim armored pants on top of the MX style boot. Many MX style pants are also of breathable mesh. Its worth taking the time to figure out where you're planning to do some riding. Desert SW or rainy forests of AR.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only person contemplating the knee braces under jeans setup.

I mentioned the kevlar jeans as a replacement for the knee guards since there is some debate surrounding the usefulness of the latter. I'll wear them when I'm slabbing it since I already have some.

Most of my riding is in Central and East Texas. Probably 80/20 pavement to dirt simply because I have one bike I use for everything and pavement miles rack up fast.

EDIT: Boot wise I'm leaning to the Gaerne SG-10. I'm not sure the SG-12 is worth the premium and the 10's seem to have a superb track record. Now if I could just find some to try on....

veriest1 screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 02:45 AM
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #4001
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Glad to hear that I'm not the only person contemplating the knee braces under jeans setup.

I mentioned the kevlar jeans as a replacement for the knee guards since there is some debate surrounding the usefulness of the latter. I'll wear them when I'm slabbing it since I already have some.

Most of my riding is in Central and East Texas. Probably 80/20 pavement to dirt simply because I have one bike I use for everything and pavement miles rack up fast.

EDIT: Boot wise I'm leaning to the Gaerne SG-10. I'm not sure the SG-12 is worth the premium and the 10's seem to have a superb track record. Now if I could just find some to try on....
Just make sure you take your boots or shinguards when you buy the other. Many shinguards are designed to into the top of the boot. I looked at buying some shin/knee guards a while ago and that advice was given to me when I was shopping.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #4002
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
That is what i did Dahveed when i went to get a regular hinged knee brace, i took my Sidi Adventure Rain boots with me and made sure the brace would clear
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #4003
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,457
I hate car dealers. Uhhhh........ that is all I wanted to say.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #4004
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,414
As far as boots go, I have a hard time finding boots that fit. Because I'm a big guy with big feet, I have found that most boots just run too small but Moose Racing has a good reputation for being spot on, on their boots at least. I have the M1 Moose boot with the ATV sole. It has a 12" upper with a good shin guard, lugged sole so you can walk around and not bust you ass on the grass. I loosen them up when I walk around and then tighten them back down when riding so they won't slip around. They adjust very easy. Here is a link to check them out.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j...51&startPage=1

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 09:18 AM
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #4005
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
As far as boots go, I have a hard time finding boots that fit. Because I'm a big guy with big feet, I have found that most boots just run too small but Moose Racing has a good reputation for being spot on, on their boots at least. I have the M1 Moose boot with the ATV sole. It has a 12" upper with a good shin guard, lugged sole so you can walk around and not bust you ass on the grass. I loosen them up when I walk around and then tighten them back down when riding so they won't slip around. They adjust very easy. Here is a link to check them out.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j...51&startPage=1
you are the only one I know with feet larger than mine and I want something I can walk in if I have too
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is online now   Reply With Quote