Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #4021
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Wish I had a motorcycle. Brady sounds like fun. Have to check that Rally out as I hadn't heard anything about it.

Well, this last heavy duty tube lasted from TxJames' house all the way to the ranch and then to my office. Maybe 40 feckin' miles. I was riding my bike because the ac went out in my 03 Ford PU and , even if I could have stood that, I couldn't find the damn keys after an hour of looking (they were in the 07 Ford my wife had).

I had just sold my POS 04 Chevy the day before. The Big Ugly is still dead. The KiLleR was my only transportation other than one of my thieving bastard horses or the Kawasaki Mule. Pretty pissed off.

I chose KiLleR. By the time I got to the office, all was good. Sweet little cool morning ride. Did two days worth of dictation before lunch and went to get on the bike. The moment my ass hit the seat , I felt it. Flat. I was plenty pissed.

No problem. I have friends. Or used to, anyway. Got a lift from a client out to China Spring and borrowed a nice V-strom 1000 that was just sitting there. I could ride it to shop and leave the keys for the rescue truck that would come and get the KiLleR. All was good again. Starting to calm down. Hey. This bike's modified suspension handles just like a Rambler we used to have ....but it is peppy.

WTF? Why is it acting like the clutch is slipping? Holy shit! It did it again. No. No. No. This is impossible. I'm not a member of Nambla. I don't persecute Jews and wear brown shirts and march funny. I'm not on talk radio. WTH have I done to deserve this shit? O.K.. It seems to have calmed down. I make it to Tim's. Leave the keys. Call the bike's owner and leave message .... "This bike sucks." Get geared up, get on the bike, vroom....no go. Vroom.....no go. S of a B. I was looking for a place nearby to rent a gun and buy a bullet. You'd think there'd be one on La Salle .

Finally, after getting the owner of the bike to start heading to his trailer which happened to be way out on my ranch (of course) , I just stomped like hell on the shifter and it engaged. I limped back to China Spring. Sweating bullets the whole way.

BTW, Tim called this morning about the tire and tube. No. It's not the rim. No. We are not pinching the tube. "Large rusty nail". I am one snake-bit MF.

So, I did what any other red-blooded American would do under the same or similar circumstances. I bought another vehicle. I really don't like hassles.

Here's hoping everybody else had a pleasant week. lol.
WHAT ! ! ! Holy Shit Dude, another flat? Do you go riding through construction sights to see if you can find nails? I have had in all the years of riding (37) 3 nail flats, now I have had rock vs rim pinch, valve stems ripped out, pinched tubes, broke bead from low air, even worn tires down so far that they leaked, but only 3 nails. I think when you get your bike back home, you need to get a piece of steel and see if your bike is magnetized somewhere.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #4022
Agman
Ranching Rider

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
WHAT ! ! ! Holy Shit Dude, another flat? Do you go riding through construction sights to see if you can find nails? I have had in all the years of riding (37) 3 nail flats, now I have had rock vs rim pinch, valve stems ripped out, pinched tubes, broke bead from low air, even worn tires down so far that they leaked, but only 3 nails. I think when you get your bike back home, you need to get a piece of steel and see if your bike is magnetized somewhere.
Same here, Dave. In over 35 years of riding I have had exactly one flat. I've ridden coast to coast and completely across Mexico to the Pacific Ocean with no tire problems. For the life of me I can't figure SOG's dilemma with nails...there must be a logical answer somewhere. For the last several years I've used Ride-On in my road bike tires and heartily promote the product.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #4023
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,988
I have no answer, either. But I don't think it's the bike. I think I must be the flat magnet. It is truly unbelievable. Savage told me this morning that I can't even walk into his motorcycle garage. "Too risky. You've got some serious karma going."
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #4024
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Dang SOG, if I ever get to ride with you I want to ride behind you, that way you will pick up all the sharp objects on the ground
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #4025
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
I have no answer, either. But I don't think it's the bike. I think I must be the flat magnet. It is truly unbelievable. Savage told me this morning that I can't even walk into his motorcycle garage. "Too risky. You've got some serious karma going."
I've have a total of 5 rear flats on both the KLR and BMW. 3 of them were caused by nails/staples. I've been riding for about a year when I had the last flat.

That's where I left that nail...
staple in BMW tire.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #4026
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

I've had plenty. Lots and lots of flats. But then again, I've been riding 10-20K a year for the last 20 years (and somewhat less than that for another 20+ years). Dang, I wonder how many miles I've ridden in my life? Now that I think about it, it might be right at 500K in 42 years. (Edit, On second thought, maybe closer to 400K. Hell, I don't know. Never really thought about it. )

But at no time during those however many miles have I ever had a bike with the power of the magnet on this KiLleR. I had 3 flats on it on a 4 day Mexico trip.

It could be that the nasty, rocky, loose tire shredding POS that is my road compromises the tires so that are more susceptible to puncture from nails ,tacks, thorns, staples. Because it happens on my trucks, too. But then again, I can make a two-wheel drive truck think I'm running Baja, too. Yeehaw!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #4027
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,300
I don't know Tom, you beat all I've ever seen when it comes to flats, but ya know we love ya. Got to hang around to see what's going to happen next...... I saw something today you need, it was a band you use to make tube type rims tubeless. that way you could just stop and plug your tires.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #4028
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

If you are talking about the tubliss system, when they make my size I'll try them out. I think it's always "almost here". Like Heidi's for our bike. The boat just never arrives.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #4029
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
If you are talking about the tubliss system, when they make my size I'll try them out. I think it's always "almost here". Like Heidi's for our bike. The boat just never arrives.
It may be a non-DOT approved issue. Tubliss aren't DOT approved. They're for off road only. No doubt the testing is very expensive and you can imagine the liability issue for selling non-DOT tire systems in sizes commonly used by street bikes.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #4030
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
No doubt the testing is very expensive and you can imagine the liability issue for selling non-DOT tire systems in sizes commonly used by street bikes.
F'in lawyers. Obama's a lawyer , right? Sheesh. So my flats are Obama's fault. Figures. I have to go call Fox News. ;)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #4031
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
F'in lawyers. Obama's a lawyer , right? Sheesh. So my flats are Obama's fault. Figures. I have to go call Fox News. ;)
Actually, I thought Obama was a community organizer (whatever the hell that is) before becoming a politician. But I'm ok with you blaming him. He's just gonna blame Bush.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 08:06 PM
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #4032
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,420
I think your riding too slow, the faster you go you float right over the nails.

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #4033
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

So. That's a dang interesting theory. I'll have to give that a try. Nobody has ever told me to speed up before. ;)
Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4034
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

In "Just How F'in Crazy is This Idiot" News, as of 45 minutes ago, I now own 4 complete high-end motorcycle suits (courtesy of Ebay and this site) and not a single operating motorcycle. I really need better medication.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #4035
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
In "Just How F'in Crazy is This Idiot" News, as of 45 minutes ago, I now own 4 complete high-end motorcycle suits (courtesy of Ebay and this site) and not a single operating motorcycle. I really need better medication.
with better meds can you go places and not leave your easy chair?
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote