Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #4171
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
Schizz, we went about 3 years ago down to Galeana. It was fantastic riding. Great folks once you get past the border. Had big plans to make Mexico our winter riding spot but haven't been back because of the turmoil.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 AM   #4172
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Thanks, SOG. From what I've read on this thread you have all the testicular fortitude you need to ride Mexico. If you have any doubts they will be gone after your 1st encounter with the locals who will treat you like a rockstar because you're riding your scoot in Mexico.

Well Schizz, you had the good foresight to go over the edge at a place where you could recover the rider and bike. Also, you were smart enough to have a KLR then. Imagine pulling your big HD up the hill.

The KLR may be the perfect bike for south of the border riding. Simple enough to be fixed my any tractor mechanic. Parts are common. And if it disappears, well, its pretty cheap too.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 06:26 AM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #4173
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Schizz, we went about 3 years ago down to Galeana. It was fantastic riding. Great folks once you get past the border. Had big plans to make Mexico our winter riding spot but haven't been back because of the turmoil.
Hope to make Galeana this year but it might conflict with a 2 week trip to Oaxaca. We'll see.

Everyone has to make their own call on the Mexico drug war issue. There's no wrong call as I see it. Will say that I know quite a few riders who go there and none report any issues with crime. There were 8 of us riding for a week into and out of Mexico's drug triangle. No problems. I went on solo to Durango, Maz, Guad, Lake Chapala, Mexico City then home with no problems. Lots of Mexico RR's on this site and they all read the same on this issue.

It helps to not watch TV news or read State Dept. travel advisories.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #4174
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Well Schizz, you had the good foresight to go over the edge at a place where you could recover the rider and bike. Also, you were smart enough to have a KLR then. Imagine pulling your big HD up the hill.

The KLR may be the perfect bike for south of the border riding. Simple enough to be fixed my any tractor mechanic. Parts are common. And if it disappears, well, its pretty cheap too.
In truth what I had was 5 great guys riding with me and the good Lord watching over me. You're probably right about the KLR but I'm considering buying a DRZ400 for more challenging dirt riding like Copper Canyon. Or maybe a KTM 590. And a GSA for touring Mexico. Then there's the track bike I've been wanting.................

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #4175
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Hope to make Galeana this year but it might conflict with a 2 week trip to Oaxaca. We'll see.

Everyone has to make their own call on the Mexico drug war issue. There's no wrong call as I see it. Will say that I know quite a few riders who go there and none report any issues with crime. There were 8 of us riding for a week into and out of Mexico's drug triangle. No problems. I went on solo to Durango, Maz, Guad, Lake Chapala, Mexico City then home with no problems. Lots of Mexico RR's on this site and they all read the same on this issue.

It helps to not watch TV news or read State Dept. travel advisories.
Well, I sure if the drug cartels had seen you ride that KLR off-road, they would have said, "Stay away from that one, he's too crazy for us..."

Give me a heads up if you have a spot on one of your DS trips into Mexico. I'd like to go sometime with someone experienced in riding in Mexico.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #4176
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
In truth what I had was 5 great guys riding with me and the good Lord watching over me. You're probably right about the KLR but I'm considering buying a DRZ400 for more challenging dirt riding like Copper Canyon. Or maybe a KTM 590. And a GSA for touring Mexico. Then there's the track bike I've been wanting.................
The DRz400 is a good bike, so I've heard. Also the DRZ600 is good also. Better for a mostly dirt type of trip. IMHO, KTM makes a great racing bike, but anything racing "thing" in the world is designed to be maintained more frequently than I like to do maintenance. For a lightweight dirt bike (but not an adventure touring bike) I like the Yamaha WR250R. For another grand you can get a kit to make it a 290, but I've heard that the 250 is plenty powerful.

So many bikes, so little time and money.

Rather than try to get a better bike, I'm going to focus on learning how to ride my KLR better. I have not maxed out my equipment yet.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #4177
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,368
The Yamaha WR450R with the Baja Design lights and tank kit make one hell of a street legal dirt bike. I've often looked at getting one but then remember that my testicles sometimes overide my brain and I don't bounce like I once did. I rode a WR450 and it is a whole lot of dirt bike. Scared the shit out of me and damn it was fun. That's the part that keeps me from getting one.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #4178
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
The Yamaha WR450R with the Baja Design lights and tank kit make one hell of a street legal dirt bike. I've often looked at getting one but then remember that my testicles sometimes overide my brain and I don't bounce like I once did. I rode a WR450 and it is a whole lot of dirt bike. Scared the shit out of me and damn it was fun. That's the part that keeps me from getting one.
+1

450cc in a dirt machine may be waaay too much power for me to handle. At my age, my money may be better spent on learning some good riding techniques. 30 years ago, I would have been able to learn these things the "hard way", but now its cheaper and less painful to have someone instruct me in the correct way of doing things. Perhaps I'll take that MSF dirt course. Go wreck their bikes instead of mine for a change of pace. Of course, this assumes that I'm not too old to learn new tricks.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #4179
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Yeah and watch out for those petrified cow turds.......damn they hurt

Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #4180
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

FYI, The BMW dealership up here is having a demo day for the new K1600 bikes this Sat.

Linky
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #4181
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Well, I sure if the drug cartels had seen you ride that KLR off-road, they would have said, "Stay away from that one, he's too crazy for us..."

Give me a heads up if you have a spot on one of your DS trips into Mexico. I'd like to go sometime with someone experienced in riding in Mexico.
Will do!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #4182
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
FYI, The BMW dealership up here is having a demo day for the new K1600 bikes this Sat.

Linky
I saw a guy take it for a spin last sat and when he got back he had a smile like he had just had sex
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #4183
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
I saw a guy take it for a spin last sat and when he got back he had a smile like he had just had sex
Best to get there early!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #4184
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
Well for some of us older married guys, it may have been a while.....

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #4185
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,454
??????

Quote:
Best to get there early!

YES....It could help prevent sloppy seconds.....!huh

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote