Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #6001
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
[QUOTE=ghostrider1964;16597456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
IS Big Dave one word or two...need to get the plaque ready
As long as it done in 24k gold I don't care!

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #6002
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage View Post
James.......Sounds like it will take most of the day Monday to piece you back together but after wallking around with these injuries for a week, I'm sure you will be glad to get started on the healing process. How's the lung? With both you and Hancock banged up, you've got people really thinking about the hazzards of riding. I was replaying things yesterday as I was loading my bike for NM. In all honesty, I'm not as excited about this trip as I usually am. You and Hancock really hit close to home. Take care my friend and I know you'll be in good hands next Monday.
Everyone should be worried about deer. They're an uncontrollable factor. Riding beyond your capability OTOH is both preventable and unwise. By not being a jackass you eliminate a lot of risk. So do as I say, not as I do.

Hit the road, ride vigilant, and enjoy life!
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #6003
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:TXjames....Everyone should be worried about deer.

...uh......& buzzards!!

ya ever seen a buzzard's feathers in detail??

I think everyone,at some time in their riding experience,has had one (or prob more) of those moments....It only takes a second...& even the best of riders can have an unexpected OH SHIT! ....We are human of course....& with mistakes sometimes..... All we can do is try ...like you said..to NOT BE A JACKASS & eliminate a lot of the risk.

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 03:44 PM
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #6004
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Everyone should be worried about deer. They're an uncontrollable factor. Riding beyond your capability OTOH is both preventable and unwise. By not being a jackass you eliminate a lot of risk. So do as I say, not as I do.

This.

Deer can getcha in a car too. I've seen to many pictures of them after they've come through windshields. And if they manage to live through it they AREN'T happy.

Hope you get to feeling better sooner rather than later.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #6005
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
...uh......& buzzards!!

ya ever seen a buzzard's feathers in detail??

I think everyone,at some time in their riding experience,has had one (or prob more) of those moments....It only takes a second...& even the best of riders can have an unexpected OH SHIT! ....We are human of course....& with mistakes sometimes..... All we can do is try ...like you said..to NOT BE A JACKASS & eliminate a lot of the risk.
You were so close to that buzzard it looked like an Indian headdress!
Was watching for the bile stream to shoot through the air.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #6006
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,447
Hmmmmmm... I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
You were so close to that buzzard it looked like an Indian headdress!
Was watching for the bile stream to shoot through the air.

That buzzard was probably thinkin...DAM...THAT'S A BIG HEAD!!

..I was thinkin...DAM THAT THING"S GONNA STINK!

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #6007
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,240
Quote:

That's one way of describing what happened....and true as far as it goes. But not that great of a teaching tool. So, I'll elaborate a little with James' generous permission. This is a public service announcement. lol

He did, in fact, cause this accident but not by speed or lean angle, or even a combination of those two. Even if you add in Txjames riding style, he still wouldn't have wrecked on that corner at that speed and lean angle .....without "changed road conditions" on a familiar road. This time by heat, but sometimes by rain, debris, gas or diesel or a million other things.

Txjames is a flicker or maybe a flopper, not a swooper. (Some of us Waco folks know Serge who rides litre class Honda's. Same style.) He goes in deep, deep setting his mid corner speed then with an athletic and precise flick...he flops the bike to full lean in a nano-second, and once past the apex it's big throttle time again as he straightens the bike back upright. dsavage (the Keith Code devotee) is more of a swooper. He scrubs off all his unneccessary, unwanted speed well prior to corner entry, sets his line, and he is smooth on the throttle all the way around. (BTW....I am, at my worst, a point and shoot guy. Not a style to emulate. :()

So, why the wreck? Txjames saw the dark patch (substantially darker than the rest of the roadway), he recognized that the dark patch was right there in his braking, flopping, acceleration zone. It , for whatever brain dead reason, did not register for this experienced capable rider that his traction was gonna be limited (or as dsavage reported to me, very limited). Oil, tar, gunk had seeped to the surface of this visibly smoother section of pavement in this 2 month no rain heatwave. He approached the sweet little pasture corner, set his speed comfortably for him, flopped/flicked his bike, made the corner, and nailed the throttle. The rear spun up and kicked out instantly as a 100 hp bike in an oil slick is likely to do. It caught after what looked like 5 or 6 feet, violently snapped back inline and launched him like a rodeo bull launches many a cowboy. Game over.

So did he ride over his capability? Certainly on that day on that road under those unrecognized conditions he did. But it's the unrecognized conditions that broke that tire loose. Not some racer wannabe bullshit.

Should he have recognized the conditions, or allowed a greater margin for the possibility that it was slick? Well, yeah. That's why it's his fault. And I should have seen that effin' fawn , too. But I ain't perfect and as far as I know, none of y'all are either.

I just don't want y'all to be thinking after james' mea culpa post that this was some hair-balled mistake. It was a mistake of perception. He saw it wrong. He read it wrong. He read it as "normal" and it was most decidedly not. Not on that day.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 08-10-2011 at 06:56 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #6008
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,043
Well put Tom. And EXACTLY what happened. Just wish I were that eloquent.
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #6009
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Hillcrest is the easiest to find of the Waco hospitals. It's the large, brand new complex on the SW corner of I-35 & Hwy 6.

I wouldn't recommend visiting on Monday since I'll be having my ass kicked that day and I may or may not be conscious for much of it.

Just leave the que on the bedside table if I'm not conscious. Haha.
Tuesday evening, right after you've hit that pain med button. Other than some Q, is there something else you want me to bring?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #6010
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Excellent analysis SOG!

Thanks!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #6011
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Well put Tom. And EXACTLY what happened. Just wish I were that eloquent.
Its the pain meds, you'll be that eloquent on Monday evening.

Its always good to go back and do an honest assessment of what went wrong. Its called learning from your mistakes and most motorcyclists do a good job of it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #6012
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
James...here's to a speedy recovery!

BBQ on me next time I see you on the road.

So no NM again this weekend...but anyone riding? It's somebody's birthday this Friday.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #6013
Has Been
Better HB Than NW

Oddometer: 340
Reply to Schizzman PM

Ill go public with this as Im sure that others might be interested in the nomenclature of the Yamaha WR250R. Its here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181
Schizz I too am interested in this scoot. Perhaps both of us will show up a RTBII with this relatively baby bike.
Carpe Diem (Big Dave says so)

1999 BMW R1100S
1997 Husaberg FE501E
1979 Husqvarna Auto
Has Been is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #6014
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Has Been View Post
Ill go public with this as Im sure that others might be interested in the nomenclature of the Yamaha WR250R. Its here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538181
Schizz I too am interested in this scoot. Perhaps both of us will show up a RTBII with this relatively baby bike.
What happened to the Husaberg? I too am looking. I have heard many good things and know several people who have and love them.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #6015
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,473
SOG, not sure I agree totally. I have a sneaky feeling that the Heidi may have contributed to James demise. I saw similar behavior out of your Heidi that day in Pearl.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote