ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #7066
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,753
Psst. Elbert. Mt. Elbert.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #7067
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Oh, I thought you rode back across.

I'm pretty sure it would have been a different story these days. Although I've never heard of a penalty for not having one or if they'd actually deny a US Citizen entry from any port. I sorta figure it's a big wait and a bunch of questions while they ascertain the suspects identity. That's just a guess on my part since I haven't actually researched this.
Yeah the US government has some weird ideas about driving vs walking. When I visited the White Sands Missile Range Museum, if you parked outside the base and walked in, you didn't have to show any ID (or just a DL - I've slept since then), but if you wanted to drive in well that required a bunch of paperwork, proof of insurance, and a vehicle inspection. What they were inspecting for was probably classified, so I didn't ask. Since I was riding a Your-a-peein motorcycle made in a city deep in the heart of former commie-land, I parked my bike outside and walked. Plus I hate paperwork.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #7068
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Psst. Elbert. Mt. Elbert.
Mt Massive is 2nd, my bad. Mt Harvard is 3rd. There were some enterprising harvard men that took a pole up to the summit of Mt. Harvard so that Mt. Harvard would be the tallest peak in Co. That's how close these top 3 fourteeners are in elevation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #7069
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Oh, I thought you rode back across.

I'm pretty sure it would have been a different story these days. Although I've never heard of a penalty for not having one or if they'd actually deny a US Citizen entry from any port. I sorta figure it's a big wait and a bunch of questions while they ascertain the suspects identity. That's just a guess on my part since I haven't actually researched this.
Nah...I just smoked it all before I came back over
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #7070
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Yeah the US government has some weird ideas about driving vs walking. When I visited the White Sands Missile Range Museum, if you parked outside the base and walked in, you didn't have to show any ID (or just a DL - I've slept since then), but if you wanted to drive in well that required a bunch of paperwork, proof of insurance, and a vehicle inspection. What they were inspecting for was probably classified, so I didn't ask. Since I was riding a Your-a-peein motorcycle made in a city deep in the heart of former commie-land, I parked my bike outside and walked. Plus I hate paperwork.
When I visited we just drove right in. I guess having a pass helps!
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7071
SkizzMan
There, that's it
 
SkizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,806
Just so we cover it:

Gotsta has passport nowadays to get back in the US from anywhere. Except New Mexico.

They likely didn't waste time with Schick because they surveilled him the entire time. That and he's the whitest human being they've ever seen.
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #7072
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
When I visited we just drove right in. I guess having a pass helps!
Yes, a DoD sticker came in handy for this and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just so we cover it:

They likely didn't waste time with Schick because they surveilled him the entire time. That and he's the whitest human being they've ever seen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #7073
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
They likely didn't waste time with Schick because they surveilled him the entire time. That and he's the whitest human being they've ever seen.
Word up, Homie.
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #7074
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Mt Massive is 2nd, my bad. Mt Harvard is 3rd. There were some enterprising harvard men that took a pole up to the summit of Mt. Harvard so that Mt. Harvard would be the tallest peak in Co. That's how close these top 3 fourteeners are in elevation.
Mount Elbert 14,440 ft, Mt Massive 14,428 ft, Mt Harvard 14,427 ft, but who's counting anyway. After 10,000 ft it's one step foward 2 steps back and then for me I have to sit down for 5 minutes to catch my breath.......
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
When your 6'8" with a 40" inseam, the bikes that fit you are limited ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #7075
SkizzMan
There, that's it
 
SkizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Word up, Homie.
Homie?!

Wigger!!
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #7076
yardracer
stubborn cow
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Mount Elbert 14,440 ft, Mt Massive 14,428 ft, Mt Harvard 14,427 ft, but who's counting anyway. After 10,000 ft it's one step foward 2 steps back and then for me I have to sit down for 5 minutes to catch my breath.......
I'm more for a bench.....with an engine..........
__________________
Yes, you can vacuum a Rottweiler
Certified battery murderer.
"Sounds to me like a bunch of other whiny pilots need to grow a set of ovaries and woman the f*#k up." Iron Horse
yardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #7077
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,682
6300 miles on the clock...starting to feel my engine change...in a good way.

Smoother, a bit more predictable...good stuff.

That is all.

Go Yankees.
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #7078
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
I'm more for a bench.....with an engine..........
LOL! Mt. Elbert, I've been told, is drivable to the summit. I'm sure its a 4x4 trail though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #7079
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Homie?!

Wigger!!
Heh... You said wigger. LoL
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #7080
SkizzMan
There, that's it
 
SkizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
6300 miles on the clock...starting to feel my engine change...in a good way.

Smoother, a bit more predictable...good stuff.

That is all.

Go Yankees.
Are you still on the stock seat?
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015