Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #61
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007
That sounds fun, but I thought you were going to ride in Texas!
You must not have been on some of the good stuff down here.Granted...there are a whole bunch of flat characterless 90 degree corner roads in many places around Texas (& OK) but there are also some nice gems scattered around too (& also in OK).My TX favorites are mostly west of I35 extending from Mineral Wells all the way down to the hill country around San Antonio.....although east Tx also has some good stuff that we ride from time to time.
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #62
Burbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Well 2 of us made it. Its a beautiful 38 degrees and misting rain. Where the hell is everyone else?
Burbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #63
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbo
Well 2 of us made it. Its a beautiful 38 degrees and misting rain. Where the hell is everyone else?
Hey guys...I haven't talked to slowoldguy this morn....but with the solid wall of mist goin on,my guess is that the turnout won't be large.Even if I had my tires on,I probably wouldn't have made it.Slick roads & fresh skins don't do it for me.Don't give up on the Waco contingent just yet.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #64
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch
You must not have been on some of the good stuff down here.Granted...there are a whole bunch of flat characterless 90 degree corner roads in many places around Texas (& OK) but there are also some nice gems scattered around too (& also in OK).My TX favorites are mostly west of I35 extending from Mineral Wells all the way down to the hill country around San Antonio.....although east Tx also has some good stuff that we ride from time to time.

Yeh I was just playing along with the stereotype people have of TX and OK. I have been to the Hill coutry and other areas. I need to get back down to hill country with the dual sport.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #65
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,407
Did slowoldguy make it? Does the Pope shit in the woods? Are bears Catholic? Hey. A deal's a deal. Hope everybody survi.....I mean, had a good time. I certainly did. The pinkish KiLleR did great. No dust. Wall of mist became slightly less of a wall. Great guys. Great food. Lots of water to cross. And some pretty dang decent riding. Hope everyone had fun.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 02:51 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #66
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbo
A little impatient there? - I rolled in at 9:15. 3 of us hit the road at 9:30 and at 9:35 it was dirt.

If you ever hear slowoldguy say "I wonder what's down this way?" get ready - I think he has radar for the road less traveled. We had some great dirt riding, fast paved twisties, and giant BBQ plates at Loco Coyote. Ran into Dahveed there, he left with S-o-g and Burbo for some riding, I headed back to Dallas. Great ride guys, thanks.

Heavy mist most of the way home coated my face shield, blurred my vision until it turned into actual rain in Cedar Hill. Passed a nasty looking accident (cage and a truck) on Hwy 67 outside Alvarado. Glad to be home and off the highway. Dirt roads are much safer.
Aanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #67
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007
Yeh I was just playing along with the stereotype people have of TX and OK. I have been to the Hill coutry and other areas. I need to get back down to hill country with the dual sport.

For some parts of both states the stereotype is true.

If you do head this way, both SOG and Burbo are the gurus of gravel. They know where it is in their neck of the woods. But if you do ride with them, come prepared, 'cause they don't call off a ride for crappy weather.

They claim that Mr2mch also knows all the non-paved roads worth riding on.

Enjoyed meeting Toltec. Maybe next time I'll be on time and actually get to ride with him.

Lets do this again soon guys, minus the rain and plus about 20 degrees. Sun would also be a plus. Although the mist did keep the dust down and tables open at the Loco Coyote...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #68
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Nice meeting you, Dahveed. Did you enjoy the water crossings? You looked badass on that first one. Water justa flying. That's a fun road, rain or shine.

Tight twisties and then hilly-twisty dirt. Dual sporting is a helluva hobby, ain't it? But don't tell anybody.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #69
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Someone post a map please!!!! I want to head down there some day and explore the area too! Thanks!

Edit: any pics of the water crossing?...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #70
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
For some parts of both states the stereotype is true.

If you do head this way, both SOG and Burbo are the gurus of gravel. They know where it is in their neck of the woods. But if you do ride with them, come prepared, 'cause they don't call off a ride for crappy weather.

They claim that Mr2mch also knows all the non-paved roads worth riding on.

Enjoyed meeting Toltec. Maybe next time I'll be on time and actually get to ride with him.

Lets do this again soon guys, minus the rain and plus about 20 degrees. Sun would also be a plus. Although the mist did keep the dust down and tables open at the Loco Coyote...

Got my tires on mostly....Hope I won't miss the ride next time.I'll throw my rocks into the gravel pit of backroad knowledge.I don't get to ride on the loose stuff with other riders nearly enough.Most of the other guys I ride with regularly prefer paved pastimes instead of gettin durty.The Wee has been down much of the gravel ya'll rode today.
I've also been workin on some highlighted paved county road maps copied from the Roads o Tx catalog. Maybe I can scan them into my computer & post for all to see.So far,I've got co roads in Coryell Bosque Somervell & parts of McLennan Bell Burnet Williamson & Lampasas.

Hope I get to meet ya'll next time around....Rod
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #71
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Post a map? I'm not a warlock. That might as well be a magic trick.

I'm doing good to make a post. As far as pics, I think burbo got one of his "tiny burger" and "a couple of o'rings".

Mr2Much knows every corner on every road 'round these parts. He just has questionable taste.

As for me being a guru of anything. Nope. I'm just happy to stay upright and just barely fast enough to get out of my own way.

Rod, it was dreary and cold but it was .... a good day.

Hmmmm. We still need to hear from a big yellow somebody. Bueller? Bueller?

slowoldguy screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 04:32 PM
Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #72
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

I tastefully question that remark....
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #73
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
Nice meeting you, Dahveed. Did you enjoy the water crossings? You looked badass on that first one. Water justa flying. That's a fun road, rain or shine.

Tight twisties and then hilly-twisty dirt. Dual sporting is a helluva hobby, ain't it? But don't tell anybody.
That road was a blast, both 51 and that gravel track. I've ridden parts of 51, but not that section. It appears I missed the best section, until today.

The water crossings were also great, but waterproof boots would have been nice to have.

I cannot imagine having a MC that I couldn't take on at least a gravel road. My dream ride is a BMW 1200 GS. I think that it is good touring bike that can also handle some gentle gravel roads. I'll research that more when I find the cash for it. I've got some time...

Thanks for putting together the ride today. How's Ghost doing? Hopefully he'll be back in action by the next time.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #74
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy
Rod, it was dreary and cold but it was .... a good day.

Hmmmm. We still need to hear from a big yellow somebody. Bueller? Bueller?
Bueller lives in these parts? He gave me grief about having a KLR with a milk crate as luggage. I'd like to ride with him...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #75
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Just got off the phone with the Ghost....He's doin ok...just hurtin from the impact of the tree limb.Didn't have to go to ER after all.Probably bruised ribs & the prickly pear needles that had to be removed...OUCH..He'll be a couple of weeks out of the loop anyway.