Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #9106
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,454
PBS..?. commercials... !???

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
that's why I like PBS commercials....they're always good.
!huh

I think everyone's evaporated

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #9107
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Bike choice?

Hey fellows,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a lighter off road bike. I have always wanted a 2stroke YZ 125 since I rode one briefly back in the 70's. I really don't have any "dirt" experience and it seems the F800GS is a little heavy to learn on not to mention I don't really want to drop it very much as it is a nice bike in good condition. Likewise Lynne has no "dirt" experience either, although she tells me she really doesn't want to ride around in circles. She does realize that the Versys really isn't a dual sport as such and is limited off road. I am thinking a bike that might be fun for me to learn "dirt technique", that I could drop without worry would be ideal. Also if Lynne could ride it to learn and later for riding off road with me when I would be riding the BMW. If the bike is for me only, seat height is no real issue but if Lynne is going to ride, the lower the better. I would definitely be looking at a used bike but with a little free time yesterday we looked at the bikes at Wood's Fun Center in Austin. The bikes that seemed best options at this point are:

Honda CRF250R (a nice 4 stroke maybe easier to find a good one than a beat up two stroke, light, lots of power, a little tall for Lynne, off road only)

Suzuki DR-Z400s (heavier, dual sport, still a little tall)

Kawasaki KLX250S (lighter, shorter, dual sport, seems too small for me)

Yamaha WR259R ?

Comments on this idea?
Comments on these bikes?
Other bikes to consider?

Thanks...Jeff
4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #9108
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,454
Hey Jeff...Talk with Dahveed or Rick M about the WR250 Yammy. 2 very different sized riders...but both love ridin the same bike.

Rick also has an 800GS...Dahveed an 1150 & a KLR

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #9109
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,303
The DRZ is great but I don't think it's what you're looking for if you want a lightweight dirt bike for 2 to learn on. It's porky and torquey.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9110
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
The DRZ is great but I don't think it's what you're looking for if you want a lightweight dirt bike for 2 to learn on. It's porky and torquey.
ROFL....porky.....sounds like me Betty
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #9111
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Got so dangerous in Puerto Escondido that we had to leave this morning for San Cristobal de las Casas. Tomorrow Guatemala.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #9112
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jranch View Post
Hey fellows,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a lighter off road bike. I have always wanted a 2stroke YZ 125 since I rode one briefly back in the 70's. I really don't have any "dirt" experience and it seems the F800GS is a little heavy to learn on not to mention I don't really want to drop it very much as it is a nice bike in good condition. Likewise Lynne has no "dirt" experience either, although she tells me she really doesn't want to ride around in circles. She does realize that the Versys really isn't a dual sport as such and is limited off road. I am thinking a bike that might be fun for me to learn "dirt technique", that I could drop without worry would be ideal. Also if Lynne could ride it to learn and later for riding off road with me when I would be riding the BMW. If the bike is for me only, seat height is no real issue but if Lynne is going to ride, the lower the better. I would definitely be looking at a used bike but with a little free time yesterday we looked at the bikes at Wood's Fun Center in Austin. The bikes that seemed best options at this point are:

Honda CRF250R (a nice 4 stroke maybe easier to find a good one than a beat up two stroke, light, lots of power, a little tall for Lynne, off road only)

Suzuki DR-Z400s (heavier, dual sport, still a little tall)

Kawasaki KLX250S (lighter, shorter, dual sport, seems too small for me)

Yamaha WR259R ?

Comments on this idea?
Comments on these bikes?
Other bikes to consider?

Thanks...Jeff
Jeff,

Here's what I know. The WR250R is a fuel injected dual sport. It can easily run at 75 mph all day, but you'll want some wind protection for all day rides. Its got plenty of power in my opinion, especially for a new dirt rider. I took mine to Big Bend Ranch State Park and I kept up with the KTMs and such there. The main difference is that I could have ridden the WR on the FMs there, while many of the other bikes at the park wouldn't have been good with that. People do set the WRs up for touring, but I'm not planning to do that at this time. There are plenty of farkles available for the WR as well. This bike has very long service intervals (3,000 miles oil changes, 26,000 valve checks) which really is nice on a touring DS. The stock seat was declared a instrument of torture by Amnesty International and has been banned by several international treaties.

The KLX250 is not fuel injected and according to the one guy I talked to, he said its top speed is 60ish, so its a little less good on the FMs. I don't know what year KLX that was, perhaps they have changed them. Clark and his wife both ride them and they seem to be competent bikes on the road, but we stayed mainly on the gravel roads that day.

Heard the DR-Zs are also geared lower, so they're not so good on high speed road rides. Also, somebody said the sides of the engine cases are weak and should be reinforced. Mudclod has one of those, perhaps he can discuss it more.

Don't know much about the Honda. I thought their small DS bikes were air-cooled, which generally means less weight and power. Agman has the larger Honda. I do not think he finds it very comfortable on the roads.

KTM makes several smaller DS bikes. They're designed to be higher performance and therefore tend to be require more preventative maintenance. They perhaps may be more bike than the dirt noob needs.

BTW, all of this is heresay, except for the WR comments.

If you want to ride my WR some, lets try to get together. I can't this weekend, but may be able to during the week.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #9113
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Got so dangerous in Puerto Escondido that we had to leave this morning for San Cristobal de las Casas. Tomorrow Guatemala.

Yeah. A more accurate reporting would have said "Drank all the beer and whiskey in Puerto Escondido, so we had to leave this morning for San Cristobal de las Casas. Tomorrow Guatemala."

Enjoy JD.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #9114
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
If you want to ride my WR some, lets try to get together. I can't this weekend, but may be able to during the week.
Dahveed,

Thanks for the comments and the offer. Hope I can take you up on that sometime soon...Jeff
Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #9115
Rman237
Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Dahveed,

Thanks for the comments and the offer. Hope I can take you up on that sometime soon...Jeff
Howdy neighbor.
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #9116
4jranch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman237 View Post
Howdy neighbor.
Hey Rman,

We ride through your area all the time. Look forward to meeting you...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #9117
Rman237
Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Hey fellows,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a lighter off road bike. I have always wanted a 2stroke YZ 125 since I rode one briefly back in the 70's.
Come on by sometime. If you're still looking for a 2stroke you should seriously consider the KDX200/220, rock solid woods machine! Much more versatile than a 125MXer, huge following and impressive aftermarket support.

Here's mine at CrossCreek...

Check your PMs.
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #9118
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
I agree. For a woods only bike Rman has a great suggestion. Big as I am, I still want one. I have a 6'5 friend who rode them almost exclusively for years by changing the risers. Literally reversing them to get more room.

And I like Dahveed's model by model breakdown. I was seriously impressed with the big-bike forks on his yamaha.

That Yamaha could be just the ticket.

Stay away from the KTM's and the other exotics. What they do better y'all simply don't need right now.

Then move up to a plated 450 with a big gas-tank and a Rekluse. Woohoo!! ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #9119
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,368
Found another place I want to add to my bucket list of places I want to ride. Beautiful country ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ThFCg0tBDck

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #9120
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I agree. For a woods only bike Rman has a great suggestion. Big as I am, I still want one. I have a 6'5 friend who rode them almost exclusively for years by changing the risers. Literally reversing them to get more room.

And I like Dahveed's model by model breakdown. I was seriously impressed with the big-bike forks on his yamaha.

That Yamaha could be just the ticket.

Stay away from the KTM's and the other exotics. What they do better y'all simply don't need right now.

Then move up to a plated 450 with a big gas-tank and a Rekluse. Woohoo!! ;)
I want to find something that's 300lbs of less and still have good low end torque to pull my big a$$ around and hold me up over rough terrain without staining. A 450 class plated bike or I like the looks of the 2012 FI KTM 690 Enduro, just don't like the $10K+ price tag

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote