Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #9856
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
http://www.florencemotorsportsweekend.com/

anyone interested????? Sunday is for bikes. I'm thinking about making a trip.
Wow, good on 'em for having an event like that!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #9857
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Noted. Thanks!

Making a list over here of all the roads mentioned and will produce a route from that. Don't want to overplan but want to have a list!

Are roads in Colorado going to be no good in early April?
Talked to a friend in Ouray today and he told me they had NO snow and it was 50 degrees Unless you are headed on some of the primitive passes all roads are open
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #9858
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
March 9-18th is Bike "week". When ya going? Where ya going?
Well I was thinking about heading to Daytona. At the Dallas Show, one of the Suzuki reps said nearly all the manufacturers had demos there. I have some time and wanted to ride a demo a few bikes. Also see all the insanity that is Bike Week. I'm thinking about making some changes to the stable, but I don't want to sell anything at least before figuring out my next ride.

However, the weather forecast looks better to the west, unless you like riding in the rain.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #9859
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Once again, nobody is mentioning 191 in AZ. Schick, this road is supposed to be super fun and twisty. Kind of like the Dragon Tails except without all the trucks, bikers, and cops. Don't do what I did and go out there and miss riding it, or worse, ride the boring road next to it instead. Yup, I rode 180 in New Mexico, not 191. When I got home and told people where I had been, that's when everyone told me about 191. When I was HOME.

View Larger Map
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #9860
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Once again, nobody is mentioning 191 in AZ. Schick, this road is supposed to be super fun and twisty. Kind of like the Dragon Tails except without all the trucks, bikers, and cops. Don't do what I did and go out there and miss riding it, or worse, ride the boring road next to it instead. Yup, I rode 180 in New Mexico, not 191. When I got home and told people where I had been, that's when everyone told me about 191. When I was HOME.

View Larger Map
WOAH!!! I rode 191 last summer...Course it was raining then sleeting But Beautiful except for the burned areas
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #9861
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,445
Roads roads roads...

I got a few for ya too Schick......but I'm at work "watchin paint dry" right now.

Not really....they've got me doin all sorts of stuff (away from the net)

...back to work....

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 08:55 AM
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #9862
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
191 is a must ride. The south end has killer-good twisties but the whole thing is well worth it. Be sure to add 78 in there too. It's south of Clifton, headed east into NM and traverses the Gila. It's a great road as well.

If I were you and coming in from the west, I would find my way to central AZ. Probably something like this:

View Larger Map

Note that I haven't ridden all of this so you should do some research. I would post up in the AZ regional forum.

Oh! And don't waste your time going to the Grand Canyon. There's no denying it's majesty but it's not something you can do in a day... as I learned the hard way. You waste a lot of good riding time getting there for a brief glance at something that needs a few days to fully appreciate.
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #9863
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
191 is a must ride. The south end has killer-good twisties but the whole thing is well worth it. Be sure to add 78 in there too. It's south of Clifton, headed east into NM and traverses the Gila. It's a great road as well.

If I were you and coming in from the west, I would find my way to central AZ. Probably something like this:

View Larger Map

Note that I haven't ridden all of this so you should do some research. I would post up in the AZ regional forum.

Oh! And don't waste your time going to the Grand Canyon. There's no denying it's majesty but it's not something you can do in a day... as I learned the hard way. You waste a lot of good riding time getting there for a brief glance at something that needs a few days to fully appreciate.
The only modification I would make to this route is around the silver city area. The road up to the Gila National Monument is a good ride and climbing through the cliff dwellings is fun, if you like that sort of thing.

The modified map"

View Larger Map
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9864
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Yes on hwy. 191. Forgot that one. April is real iffy in CO, but this year is not normal. Hwy. 142 to Gateway is a canyon carving great ride. The founder of Discovery Channel has a excellent lodge, gas, store and restaurant there. Check out his car museum also.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #9865
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,235
Schick. I have map books of Utah, NM, AZ, and Colorado you can borrow for your trip and trip planning. Lots of good roads mentioned but lots more to go.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #9866
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post

View Larger Map

US93 in AZ is a fast rd...but watch for traps......AZ96 & 97 are also great little back roads w/o much traffic ...when you hit US89 to Prescott....the twisties will have ya in knots!! AZ260 can have lots of traffic in places like Show Low...but it's a much better road than US60 to Springerville (Stay at the Rode Inn in Springerville... the girl running check in who said she was from Stephenville) Get a meal & killer pies (ask ssdan about the pie) at the bar & grill almost across the street from the inn. Alpine has some nice motels too. Eatin places....eh...good. (I'd pick Springerville though)

Don't forget the River Rd in NM where TXjames' route ends near Truth Or Consequences. Totally different view of NM than I expected. Stop in Hatch for anything with Chiles in it. Check out the orchards with trees hangin over the road near Las Cruces...(lots of orchards) A lot better'n I25 & takes ya all the way to El Paso then get on the loop to hit US180 over to the Guadalupe Mtns then a stop at Carlsbad Caverns for a tour & a break. From Carlsbad, The road to Jal (NM 128) goes by a huge salt mining operation/lake heading into Tx. (there's a county rd connecting two highways near Carlsbad ...NM 720....nice.

Lastly....we've eaten at a killer Mexican restaurant in Midland...twice! in one trip. I think it's on 158 just north of I20 west side of town.

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 06:58 PM
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #9867
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,232
If I'm off on the day the shenanigans are scheduled at Ghost Ranch I'll be there.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #9868
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,689
191 is THE road to ride out west, 550 turns over what 100 miles or so? Parts of it are at 10k feet so could be snowed in places. Plan on spending half the day just getting through that. Wind your way through prescott and jerome unless pressed for time.

Other thing to look out for is wacky time zones since AZ doesn't do DST.

Sign says 191 not snowplowed at night, on weekend or during storms. Looking south in Alpine, AZ

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #9869
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
US93 in AZ is a fast rd...but watch for traps......AZ96 & 97 are also great little back roads w/o much traffic ...when you hit US89 to Prescott....the twisties will have ya in knots!! AZ260 can have lots of traffic in places like Show Low...but it's a much better road than US60 to Springerville (Stay at the Rode Inn in Springerville... the girl running check in who said she was from Stephenville) Get a meal & killer pies (ask ssdan about the pie) at the bar & grill almost across the street from the inn. Alpine has some nice motels too. Eatin places....eh...good. (I'd pick Springerville though)

Don't forget the River Rd in NM where TXjames' route ends near Truth Or Consequences. Totally different view of NM than I expected. Stop in Hatch for anything with Chiles in it. Check out the orchards with trees hangin over the road near Las Cruces...(lots of orchards) A lot better'n I25 & takes ya all the way to El Paso then get on the loop to hit US180 over to the Guadalupe Mtns then a stop at Carlsbad Caverns for a tour & a break. From Carlsbad, The road to Jal (NM 128) goes by a huge salt mining operation/lake heading into Tx. (there's a county rd connecting two highways near Carlsbad ...NM 720....nice.

Lastly....we've eaten at a killer Mexican restaurant in Midland...twice! in one trip. I think it's on 158 just north of I20 west side of town.
I enjoyed the ride along the Rio Grande to Hatch in NM. The chilis were making and I could smell them the whole way. Alot of other bikes there too. Dahveed mentioned a place in Hatch with green chili burgers...I must have missed it but intend to find it next time.

Will put you down Veriest...see ya then
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #9870
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
If I'm off on the day the shenanigans are scheduled at Ghost Ranch I'll be there.

you better.....