Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #10831
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Just saw this, blows me away, had to share it!
Yeah and it's that type of BULL SHIT that give the Anti-motorcycle Government Shit Heads another nail for the coffen of our sport.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #10832
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Going to Ft Rucker?
Yeah, I needed a break. This deployment had some really big frustrations for me (well, they all do, but this one capped it), so I needed to get away from the unit. Also I wanted to spend more than 10-12 months at home this time. This was my 4th career deployment as well, so someone else can take my spot next year

I'm going to go be a instructor pilot at Rucker. It's going to be a rough six hour workday.

The biggest problem right now is that I will be in school for RTB III. So trying to scheme how I'm going to manage that one. I think I will most likely truck the bike down, and show up really late Friday night. Unless I can work something out with them.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #10833
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post
Yeah, I needed a break. This deployment had some really big frustrations for me (well, they all do, but this one capped it), so I needed to get away from the unit. Also I wanted to spend more than 10-12 months at home this time. This was my 4th career deployment as well, so someone else can take my spot next year

I'm going to go be a instructor pilot at Rucker. It's going to be a rough six hour workday.

The biggest problem right now is that I will be in school for RTB III. So trying to scheme how I'm going to manage that one. I think I will most likely truck the bike down, and show up really late Friday night. Unless I can work something out with them.
Hey, I used to have friends still down there in Enterprise. Make sure you dump some soap in the Boll Weevil Monument for me.......LOL

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #10834
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Quote:

I kinda thought that might be up. Good luck to you and teach them well I hope you make it back for Bones III I got your first beer
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #10835
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,659
So my starting issue is creeping back into my world again. Not really sure what the issue is.

Basically...when the bike is cold (aka sitting overnight, not necessarily cold in temperature) it will crank and start, but will only run for a second or two then bog and quit on me. Hit the starter again and I'm good to go with not an issue in sight.

Now...sure I can give it a little gas and Im good, but shouldn't I not have to? This happened to me back when the bike was newer and wasn't an issue on my trip. I remember the guy at Lone Star saying at my first service that my throttle bodies were WAY out of sync and he adjusted that. Could that be what's causing this again?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #10836
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
So my starting issue is creeping back into my world again. Not really sure what the issue is.

Basically...when the bike is cold (aka sitting overnight, not necessarily cold in temperature) it will crank and start, but will only run for a second or two then bog and quit on me. Hit the starter again and I'm good to go with not an issue in sight.

Now...sure I can give it a little gas and Im good, but shouldn't I not have to? This happened to me back when the bike was newer and wasn't an issue on my trip. I remember the guy at Lone Star saying at my first service that my throttle bodies were WAY out of sync and he adjusted that. Could that be what's causing this again?
I thought you did the the old TPS reset (key on, twist throttle 3 time slow, key off) thing last time and it solved it? I'd hope the throttle bodies would be in sync since you just had it serviced before the trip. Other thought might be some bad gas and you are getting a little separation over night and the first start picks up some water. Not the most likely problem, but one a little seafoam or other additive could clear up (and confirm that was the issue).

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #10837
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Too bad Mr2mch doesn't have an 1150GS because this appears to be painted just for him. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2969811655.html

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #10838
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
I thought you did the the old TPS reset (key on, twist throttle 3 time slow, key off) thing last time and it solved it? I'd hope the throttle bodies would be in sync since you just had it serviced before the trip. Other thought might be some bad gas and you are getting a little separation over night and the first start picks up some water. Not the most likely problem, but one a little seafoam or other additive could clear up (and confirm that was the issue).
Can I get a linky to this additive?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #10839
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Go to any auto parts store or even waldo-mart. They'll have Seafoam. That's the product's name.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #10840
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Go to any auto parts store or even waldo-mart. They'll have Seafoam. That's the product's name.
Ahhh...right in the tank eh? Interesting...guess it can't hurt!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #10841
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Ahhh...right in the tank eh? Interesting...guess it can't hurt!
On the back of the can there will be directions. Follow them. About a 1/2 can for 8 gallons IIRC, but read them and make sure. Do it before a longish trip. Its worth a shot. I don't think its going to help here, but it won't hurt and it does help remove water from the tank.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #10842
sasquatch98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Laugh

Quote:

When you end up at Lawson AAF at Benning with a student pilot make sure you go across the river to Ft Mitchell BBQ on the Alabama side it's fantastic and they have a Pilot plate so it makes ordering easy.
sasquatch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #10843
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Quote:
Schick, make sure the throttle cable is seated on the right side. If it has been knocked it out, it will run like shit
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #10844
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Schick, make sure the throttle cable is seated on the right side. If it has been knocked it out, it will run like shit
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, so I'm confused if this is a joke, or I should actually be checking for something.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #10845
cavemanjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I have no idea if your bike has one, but my buddy's sportbike was doing similar stuff symptomatically and it was from a bad throttle position sensor, just a thought.