Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #10906
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc View Post
Big Bird (get it? it's a yellow 1100GS....) is on the road again... It'll probably all get torn down again in a month or so, so this weekend I'm gonna get some riding in.

Devil's backbone maybe? I haven't been outside of Austin to explore much yet..
Check out Lime Creek Rd. out near Lake Travis (FM2769) then jump over to Spicewood Springs Rd. followed by 2222 back towards town. Turn right off 2222 onto Mt. Bonnell and ride up to the park for a nice vista. An excellent Urban Assault Ride right near home. Just watch out for the decreasing radius turns on Lime Creek.

Devil's Backbone sounds like a great road and you should do it once but apparently Lucifer is lacking in scoleosis as there are few turns to savor.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #10907
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

RawHyde Clinic

Lone Star BMW sponsored RawHyde's one day DS clinic here last Saturday. Lance and Shawn did a great job of giving us a taste of what's in store for those who take their intro course. They introduced and then demonstrated each section of the course before running us through it. Very clear and upbeat instruction with enough challenge to make each rider work it.

They covered how to set up your bike, pick up your bike, stop your bike, turn your bike and offered an assortment of farkles for our perusal.

Looking forward to practicing these skillls (except for picking up the bike) and taking the full intro course this fall.

Some bike pr0n

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #10908
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,468
Jeez. Rain skipped me and now it's done. Maybe tomorrow. Lake is already dropping with mid 90 temps and big wind. When I first bought my place my big creek ran about 8 months a year. Now it runs about two months, total.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #10909
super8mm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
SchizzMan, you take the class you will be picking the bike up, but they are there to help you too, there were normally there before I could even get my fat hinney off the ground

you dont mind showering outside on the back poarch do you?
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #10910
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Lone Star BMW sponsored RawHyde's one day DS clinic here last Saturday. Lance and Shawn did a great job of giving us a taste of what's in store for those who take their intro course. They introduced and then demonstrated each section of the course before running us through it. Very clear and upbeat instruction with enough challenge to make each rider work it.
That's what went on at Ghost's ranch, except they always took pictures first, before helping you.

Looks like a good class.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #10911
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

They covered how to set up your bike, pick up your bike, stop your bike, turn your bike and offered an assortment of farkles for our perusal.

Looking forward to practicing these skillls (except for picking up the bike) and taking the full intro course this fall.

Some bike pr0n
I wanted to attend that class so bad. And go to Ghost's. Anywhere but Port A. for the memorial service, which turned out to be just fine and I'm glad I went.

So, how difficult were the sections? I'm guessing that somebody on a light dirt bike wouldn't have had any problem. At the talk at LS, Shawn said to plan on a lot of first gear clutch work. So I dug up one of those squeeze grip hand exercisers and started working out for when the class was first scheduled. Turns out that helps for riding in traffic too...and crushing beer cans.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #10912
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Anakee 2 revisit

I was a little off in my mileage numbers when we were talking about tires a few pages back. I thought I had 6500 miles or so on my current A2. Turns out it was closer to 8000 miles. So with a trip to Medina, another to Port A, and the miles I'll put on this weekend to see Shick off, it will be toast with 9K miles on it. I'm just above the wear bars right now. I really squared this one off. Too many straight line miles up to Yellowstone and back and some other trips. The sides have tons of life left.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #10913
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
borrowed this from another place on this site. start watching at 7:30 mark. I can't seem to post a video, sorry for the link..

http://www.youtube.com/embed/atCrbQv5P3k

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #10914
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
borrowed this from another place on this site. start watching at 7:30 mark. I can't seem to post a video, sorry for the link..

Sux to be him...I really think the big pigs have an advantage in animal collisions as long as you can keep them up I think the lighter bikes are just screwed in these cases
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #10915
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

RawHyde Clinic

Yes, I dropped my bike (once) and picked it up on my own. Shawn taught a method new to me but I used the old "walk up" method I use for my Harley. At least with the GSA I wasn't sore the next day. I now know three methods.

We ran two different cone courses in a field to practice slow maneuvers, stopping, and turns. All riding was done standing on the pegs and holding the bike with the knees. Turns were conducted in the counter lean position. Slow maneuvers required proper use of throttle and the clutch friction zone.

For me difficulty ran from low to moderate. But I passed on the more advanced turns section to focus on the basic section. It's gonna take practice to start feeling confident moving like that on the bike. Very counterintuitive for me.

Cannot overstate the quality of the instruction given.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #10916
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:

Saw shorts and street boots in the first frame before skipping forward and knew it wasn't going to end well. Talk about cry like.... Please people; WEAR YOUR GEAR.
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #10917
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Saw shorts and street boots in the first frame before skipping forward and knew it wasn't going to end well. Talk about cry like.... Please people; WEAR YOUR GEAR.
I think any good quality lace up boot would have helped his ankle, but the short and tank top shirt...........can we say dumb ass. If I'm going to check fence on my place and never going on the road, then a t-shirt works fine but I still wear long pants, over the ankle lace up boots along with my helmet. If I'm out on the road, then jacket and gloves plus the rest.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10918
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
I was a little off in my mileage numbers when we were talking about tires a few pages back. I thought I had 6500 miles or so on my current A2. Turns out it was closer to 8000 miles. So with a trip to Medina, another to Port A, and the miles I'll put on this weekend to see Shick off, it will be toast with 9K miles on it. I'm just above the wear bars right now. I really squared this one off. Too many straight line miles up to Yellowstone and back and some other trips. The sides have tons of life left.
Same experience for me.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #10919
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:

Way too familiar.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #10920
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
File this under....

THINGS THAT ARE NECESSARY....

This is a fascinating thread...I encourage you to read it...even if just to see what his shop looks like!

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...out-of-the-bag