Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #13441
thepopularjock
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Hey, man. It's me again. (I'm everywhere.) Sorry you missed Roll the Bones last weekend. We didn't kill anybody!! That's always a good thing. Something will be coming up soon enough. Ghost is laid up with a funky shoulder but his campouts will start in earnest after the New Year. Somebody is riding somewhere every weekend. I am heading East tomorrow, though.

Do you know the best dirt roads around your area? I'd like to go run some tasty dirt and see if I can use it for my Red to the Rio project. One leg is coming through Bosque County and I'm thinking Brownwood for the other.

I wish I could have come to the Roll the Bones but I was entered in The Texas Mile to race my R1. I am hoping to get to ride the DRZ 400 a little more. I am just starting my search so I don't have any good dirt to report so far. I will get some more answers before long.
I will post up what I find and maybe we can go for a ride when you head through Bwd.???
thepopularjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #13442
thepopularjock
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
You are smack dab in the area I plan to start working next for possible RTB routes We need to get together

Cleatus...you think the fog was bad on the dam....should have been on the water...50 foot visibility is a bit scary...had to nav by GPS only! It was a surreal experience

That is awesome!!!! We should all get together and ride.
I work 7 days on/ 7 off (night manager of a pharmacy) so if you need me to do some local recon I can scout some things out - see if I can help pull things together.
I am just now getting out on my DRZ 400 but I am really enjoying it. I plan on looking around for some good dirt roads this next week. I will post up if I find anything worth reporting.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #13443
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
I work 7 days on/ 7 off (night manager of a pharmacy) so if you need me to do some local recon I can scout some things out - see if I can help pull things together
Yes. We do. Please run every beautiful, twisty, topo-filled dirt road in your area. And then take me on them (edit: first. Before ghost. So I can find the preferable lines. )

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 11:11 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #13444
thepopularjock
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yes. We do. Please run every beautiful, twisty, topo-filled dirt road in your area. And then take me on them (edit: first. Before ghost. So I can find the preferable lines. )

HAHAHA!!!! Nice!
I am going on my 1st scouting mission Sat or Sun. Probably Sat. I have 2 main points that I will hit. One is right outside the Lake Bwd called Thrifty. There is a small little camping area and river with some decent crappie fishing. (at least it was when I lived near by but that's been 10 years ago). It's just a few miles from the the lake. I have been wanting to get out to the lake and check it out. We have been in such a fierce drought lately that I have had this idea that we could take our motorcycles and go riding through the dry parts of the lake. At this point it's just an idea as I have not see the lake from any vantage point other than the bridge on Hwy 279.
The 2nd spot is closer to Goldthwaite, Tx. There are TONS of gravel roads along this area. Many of them lead to the famous (somewhat famous) Regency Bridge......One of the oldest suspension bridges in Texas. It's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKbdQxCfSc

I will need this weekend to do all the riding and get some kind of idea of what's out there. This will just be the 1st recon mission.......LOT's of ROADS in that area.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #13445
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yeah. Do it! We got the Regency Bridge on the map. If you could, concentrate on the dirt roads west of there. I sent you my digits for some routing help.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #13446
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopularjock View Post
HAHAHA!!!! Nice!
I am going on my 1st scouting mission Sat or Sun. Probably Sat. I have 2 main points that I will hit. One is right outside the Lake Bwd called Thrifty. There is a small little camping area and river with some decent crappie fishing. (at least it was when I lived near by but that's been 10 years ago). It's just a few miles from the the lake. I have been wanting to get out to the lake and check it out. We have been in such a fierce drought lately that I have had this idea that we could take our motorcycles and go riding through the dry parts of the lake. At this point it's just an idea as I have not see the lake from any vantage point other than the bridge on Hwy 279.
The 2nd spot is closer to Goldthwaite, Tx. There are TONS of gravel roads along this area. Many of them lead to the famous (somewhat famous) Regency Bridge......One of the oldest suspension bridges in Texas. It's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKbdQxCfSc

I will need this weekend to do all the riding and get some kind of idea of what's out there. This will just be the 1st recon mission.......LOT's of ROADS in that area.
I was out west of Brownwood a couple of years ago on some rough dirt roads...I know they are there but not sure of there numbers You don't want to ride with SlowOldGuy...he is slow and old
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #13447
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
You don't want to ride with SlowOldGuy...he is slow and old
Ain't that the truth. Getting slower and older every day.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 10:48 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #13448
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445

Fairing moved higher. Surprisingly enough I found rubber compression nuts at the local hardware store so I just installed a second set of four in the headlight surround and now there are two positions to choose from. It's about 2 1/2" higher than before and wind is hitting my just under the collarbone.

EDIT: Rocky Mountain ATV has Tusk grip heaters and "oven" mitts on sale for $9.99 and $7.99 respectively.

veriest1 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 12:59 PM
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #13449
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Fairing moved higher. Surprisingly enough I found rubber compression nuts at the local hardware store so I just installed a second set of four in the headlight surround and now there are two positions to choose from. It's about 2 1/2" higher than before and wind is hitting my just under the collarbone.

EDIT: Rocky Mountain ATV has Tusk grip heaters and "oven" mitts on sale for $9.99 and $7.99 respectively.
Wow. I bet you can hardly tell it's winter behind that thing. Well, at least until the ride to work next Tuesday morning.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #13450
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I heard those bikes were fast, but I didn't realize they were fast enough to peel the paint off....
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #13451
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Wow. I bet you can hardly tell it's winter behind that thing. Well, at least until the ride to work next Tuesday morning.
Wind is hitting me just under the collarbone now. I'll see how it goes....

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #13452
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Anybody riding Monday? Looks real nice.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #13453
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Well, looks like rain is out here. Too far north. May be heading up to LC. Looks like they are getting a little sprinkle up there but not enough to slow anything down. Damn its sad out here on the ranch.

Edit: Looks like no-name nephew2 and Josh want to get out for a bit. The big Katooms will be rumbling.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:16 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #13454
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Beauty and the beasts. ;)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #13455
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,105
Yesterday there was one Goose and 30 Hogs hanging out there. One choose to follow the Goose thru 51 back to Granbury to Saddlebags BBQ. He caught up after we crossed 56.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote