User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
approachbears OP
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Scooters to be made in the USA?

It looks like Genuine Scooters (Buddy, Stella, etc...) have bought out Twist-N-Go Scooters and might move manufacturing from China to the USA (well, at least Texas).
http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/co...rs_102309.html
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Hoseman
pushing rocks.....

Oddometer: 596
Sweet!

Hoseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Talking Cool Beans

I may just hafta get one just cuz.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
It looks like Genuine Scooters (Buddy, Stella, etc...) have bought out Twist-N-Go Scooters and might move manufacturing from China to the USA (well, at least Texas).

Genuine, of Chicago, sells re-badged PGO scooters from Taiwan (Buddy, Rattler, etc.) and re-badged LML scoots from India (Stella). Is Phil McCaleb/Genuine involved in this TNG thing?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
approachbears OP
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
Genuine, of Chicago, sells re-badged PGO scooters from Taiwan (Buddy, Rattler, etc.) and re-badged LML scoots from India (Stella). Is Phil McCaleb/Genuine involved in this TNG thing?
The guy who sent me the link is a Stella rider and mentioned Genuine. Maybe it was just because the photo in the article has the guy behind the purchase sitting on a Buddy in front of a huge Genuine banner.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
I didn't read anything in the article regarding Genuine Scooter Company...it says National Scooter Company.
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Not sure I understand the point of buying a company in China and moving it here? And why keep one employee there?

Even so it would be very very cool to have scooters built in the USA.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
approachbears OP
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew
Not sure I understand the point of buying a company in China and moving it here? And why keep one employee there?

Even so it would be very very cool to have scooters built in the USA.
The one person kept there might be to get parts since I expect at least some parts will still be made there. Or maybe they are selling them back to China? that'd be kind of interesting...

But I think they are buying an American company that basically just imports in scooters to Seattle. So I guess they're getting the brand name, dealer network, maybe some copy rights and legal stuff, etc...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
The one person kept there might be to get parts since I expect at least some parts will still be made there. Or maybe they are selling them back to China? that'd be kind of interesting...

But I think they are buying an American company that basically just imports in scooters to Seattle. So I guess they're getting the brand name, dealer network, maybe some copy rights and legal stuff, etc...
As I recall Tn'G was just doing final assembly here in the States, and ultimately their products were just generic Chinese scooters like what Roketa sells.

But yeah, doesn't look like Genuine is involved in this at all, except that the guy appears to currently be a Genuine dealer.

I wish him the best and I hope they turn out unique, quality products, but judging by the Tn'G thing the pessimist (realist?) in me says these are basically going to be generic Chinese scooters with added "God bless Amurrica!" advertising.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #11
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Why would you do this, and why would the Us government support this? - no benefits whatsoever other than selling to fuckwit yanks who are prepared to pay a premium just because of the old "it's made here" syndrome (i.e those who through ignorance misinterpret Johnsons' famous "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" speech).
Old 11-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar
Why would you do this, and why would the Us government support this? - no benefits whatsoever other than selling to fuckwit yanks who are prepared to pay a premium just because of the old "it's made here" syndrome ...
Why, farqy, you Silver-Tongued Devil; don't hold back - tell us what you really think.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
approachbears OP
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar
Why would you do this, and why would the Us government support this? - no benefits whatsoever other than selling to fuckwit yanks who are prepared to pay a premium just because of the old "it's made here" syndrome (i.e those who through ignorance misinterpret Johnsons' famous "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" speech).
Seriously, you can't envision a good reason to have an internal source of production for a basic good besides patriotism? Do you realize that your post makes you sound like, in your own words, such an "ignorant fuckwit"? The jobs argument is the easiest to make, but its great for us scooter buyers alone even without considering that there needs to be jobs to have buyers.

Its funny that your only real argument is "paying a premium". That is thoroughly disproven by the fact non-US vehicle manufacturers like Toyota, BMW, Nissan, Subaru, Kia, Honda, Mitsubishi and Isuzu all have US plants paying workers US wages and their vehicles are competitively priced in categories from entry-level to luxury. Maybe the Harley Davidson's sold down in Australia are pricey (they are imports to you after all), but they are inline with the Cruiser Market price here in the US.

Also take into account the fact that they're hoping to partner with Stephen F. Austin College to reinvigorate design. Foreign vehicle manufacturers big and small have opened US-based design centers (often linked with colleges and Universities like BMW in South Carolina) and the US consumer has thoroughly benefited. One reason I personally don't want a Chinese-scooter is their lack of understanding of US market needs and desires. In-country design means more responsive design. Manufacturers like Toyota and Nissan are popular in the US in part because they produce vehicles spec'd for the US. It wasn't always the case and they suffered for it until they had a better feel for the market.

For instance, I recently test drove a Euro-spec Ford Fiesta here in the US as part of campaign to introduce the model back into the American market. I've driven cars and scooters in foreign countries before and noted the local quirks. But the differences--especially interior layout, lack of locally standard features like cupholders and cruise control--really stand out in one's home country. The consumer really does benefit from local production.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
I recently test drove a Euro-spec Ford Fiesta here in the US as part of campaign to introduce the model back into the American market. I've driven cars and scooters in foreign countries before and noted the local quirks. But the differences--especially interior layout, lack of locally standard features like cupholders and cruise control--really stand out in one's home country. The consumer really does benefit from local production.
Then there's the "gaming the system" strategy:
To Outfox the Chicken Tax, Ford Strips Its Own Vans
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
shecky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
For instance, I recently test drove a Euro-spec Ford Fiesta here in the US as part of campaign to introduce the model back into the American market. I've driven cars and scooters in foreign countries before and noted the local quirks. But the differences--especially interior layout, lack of locally standard features like cupholders and cruise control--really stand out in one's home country. The consumer really does benefit from local production.
This is a case for designing them in the US, not producing them in the US. In the scooter world, some of the most unique and successful designs seem to be from Japan, which kind of argues against local production. For lots of folks, scooters are cheap transportation. There seems to be plenty of competition on the premium supply. It would be nice to see another player in the field, though I place no significant value on the "Made In The USA" label. A label that ultimately means nothing if it doesn't translate into a good value.

In any event, it seems Federal and local subsidy sweeten the deal for local production. Stimulus money? Welfare? Let's hope for their success, at least for the sake of the taxpayer.
shecky is offline   Reply With Quote