ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #136
Enprize
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: PacificNorthWet
Oddometer: 82
Health insurance Tricare for Gray area retirees

Back in page 2 or 6 or so someone posted question about health insurance. If you are a gray area retiree, (you'll know if you are so don't ask what it is) you can now purchase TRICARE. Major benefit is that TRICARE will pay for care in most countries, so it works well for the nomad sort who is living out of a camper or bike in Mexico, India, ect. Single rates are going for $47 a month right now. See TRICARE web site for more information.

james

Gray area=military reserve retired under age 60.
__________________
www.motorcyclebum.com
Enprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #137
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumfuzzle
Somebody mentioned my website www.bumfuzzle.com back on page 1 of this thread and I was then written off as having made too much money to count.
Pat, that certainly wasn't the intent of my post about you. The idea was to live on the cheap, I think you'll be the first to admit that buying a $200,000 yacht is not the way to do that.

I'm a big fan of all that you and ally have done in the last several years, and in fact I think I bought my boat largely because I was inspired by you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #138
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther

What do you do now and what do you take?

Camped out behind one of our favorite Jacksonville, FL bars:



Loading the Land Rover and one motorcycle:





Here we are, camped out on the bay in Corpus Christ last year:



The motorhome is 40 ft. long, and the hitch adds about 12".

The current trailer is about 26 ft. LOA.

Maximum legal length for an RV and trailer combination in Florida is 65', so do the math on that one.

I was thinking that I might be able to get away with a 28 ft. trailer (70 ft. LOA is legal in many states.)

Bosswoman has been talking about selling the BMW and getting something more practical for out current lifestyle, like a Jeep.

And I've currently got 4 bikes and would love to add maybe 2 more to the fleet if/when $$$ start coming back in again (knocking on wood ... something's cookin' so let's hope for the best)

Anyway ... putting 2-3 bikes and a workshop into a 28 ft. trailer is looking good at the moment, but I have kicked several other solutions around for the last 2 years.

A 28 ft. trailer would allow us to slide into the pull-through spaces at many RV parks and while that's not a really low-cost solution, it could well be lower cost than leasing space for a workshop, which is what I have been doing, or leasing a second spot in order to get add'l electricity and water.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that a 28 ft. trailer, equipped the way that I want it, is lighter than I thought, and within what we can tow behind the Bluebird.

Here I am, camped out at the Progreso border crossing last year. To put the length into perspective, when I load a motorcycle the Rover almost hangs off the back of the trailer:


PirateJohn screwed with this post 12-18-2009 at 11:12 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #139
Bbasso
my name is Rob
 
Bbasso's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South Carolina!
Oddometer: 1,881
So if a person, gets rid of their place (home/ Rented apt/ other) How would that person get Ins for the bike and van/car/RV for the extended stay on the road?

Say I loaded up my van and bike, left my apt in SC and took a 6 month+ road trip. How would I stay legal?

I've been slowly working on doing this, but there is a lot I just don't know about.

thanks.

And this is a very cool thread. ADV always has good reading
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #140
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
you have to have some address, somewhere.

A friend or relative, or if you have to rent a box at a UPS store. (I personally don't like PO Boxes cuz you can't get UOS & Fedex deliveries.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
So if a person, gets rid of their place (home/ Rented apt/ other) How would that person get Ins for the bike and van/car/RV for the extended stay on the road?

Say I loaded up my van and bike, left my apt in SC and took a 6 month+ road trip. How would I stay legal?

I've been slowly working on doing this, but there is a lot I just don't know about.

thanks.

And this is a very cool thread. ADV always has good reading
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 AM   #141
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
So if a person, gets rid of their place (home/ Rented apt/ other) How would that person get Ins for the bike and van/car/RV for the extended stay on the road?

Say I loaded up my van and bike, left my apt in SC and took a 6 month+ road trip. How would I stay legal?

I've been slowly working on doing this, but there is a lot I just don't know about.

thanks.

And this is a very cool thread. ADV always has good reading

I use Good Sam's mail forwarding service. That's a recognized RV'ers organization which gives me a reasonably-legal Florida address. They can register the vehicles and so forth. For $100 they will physically go to the DMV office for you, although most Florida DMV issues can be handled in the mail.

http://www.goodsammail.com/

There is another RV'ers organization that is based in Texas and which isn't occurring to me at the moment (old timer's disease) that people swear by. Similar set up.

When I lived in Florida my driver's license showed a PO Box as my physical address, and that caused some eyebrows to raise. I had that cleared with the Florida DMV, who were sensitive to the issues of full-time RV'ers. Alas, I think that the law has since changed, and that option has gone away.

When I had my sailboat a decade or two ago the boatyard that I kept my boat at had mail slots for folks that hadn't been there for years, but who picked up there mail every so often.

So where there is a will ... there is a way.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #142
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I use Good Sam's mail forwarding service. That's a recognized RV'ers organization which gives me a reasonably-legal Florida address. They can register the vehicles and so forth. For $100 they will physically go to the DMV office for you, although most Florida DMV issues can be handled in the mail.

http://www.goodsammail.com/

There is another RV'ers organization that is based in Texas and which isn't occurring to me at the moment (old timer's disease) that people swear by.
Escapees. They're who my parents have used for the past 10 years.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #143
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder
 
ywr969's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Oddometer: 658
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Here we are, camped out on the bay in Corpus Christ last year:

hey, my wife has one of those:



Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
The motorhome is 40 ft. long, and the hitch adds about 12".
The current trailer is about 26 ft. LOA.
Maximum legal length for an RV and trailer combination in Florida is 65', so do the math on that one.
the 65' limit exists in many states i've been told.
regardless, i've seen a 40' diesel pusher towing a suburban, towing a boat. seriously.
i wonder if he was, ahem, detained on the road.

can't your range rover tow anything?
with an enclosed shop trailer, you can stuff your bikes in it for the trip & tow that with your RV.
then, the range rover can tow the bimmer. right?
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
2006 Triumph S3

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #144
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!
 
mpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Las Wages
Oddometer: 1,036
John,
Are you going to put a car in it too? having used my 11' garage as a shop, there is plenty of space for almost every job on a bike. imo.
So a 22' would give you room for 5 bikes if two or three were just a little smaller than what you list now in your profile with a little thought, or your current 4 with ease.


Bbasso,
As to a address, I had a bike with a "grey" frame/title. It was already in my name in NM, but I had never lived there. (the guy i bought it from was my best friends dad and he knew the title clerk.)
When it came time to renew the license, i couldn't get it transferred to another state. plus my TX license was about to expire and i was living in Palm Desert CA. I also wanted to give my girl a Honda Express to ride around in NY at collage.
So, I called a UPS store in Albuquerque, NM and set up a box with forwarding service. transferred my cell phone bill and insurance to that address. (saved a bunch of money with that part.)
I took the scooter apart, stuffed it into hard suitcases from goodwill. and took the bus to NM. Rented a U-haul truck for the weekend, assembled the scooter in the back of the truck and picked up my mail. got it inspected & tranfered to NM tittle, renewed my motorcycle and got a NM DL. Scooted around town for a few hours, then put the scooter back into suit cases, returned the truck and took the bus back the next day.

Transferred my truck and two more bikes to NM on the way through to Upstate NY the next year.

I "Lived" in NM for 4 years. In my whole life I have slept in the state of NM for a total of 8 nights so far.

I just had my mail, two bills i paid online and the DMV stuff, forwarded every three months. As I was always "on a trip right now, sorry" the state would accept a NY state emissions inspection and my money for tag renewals on the truck, and just my money on the bikes. then mail the tags to my address and they would be forwarded to me.
All pretty easy.

I think the total cost was two days on a bus. (the Worst part!) and maybe ~$500 for the trip and all four years. Saved a ton on tag fees and about 30% on the insurance.
In the end, I made money on that deal.

Not suggesting NM as the choice, but it worked for me.
Sorry so long, I did have a point.
__________________
Peace in your heart & Light on your soul.
>^..^<

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #145
Bbasso
my name is Rob
 
Bbasso's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South Carolina!
Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
you have to have some address, somewhere.

A friend or relative, or if you have to rent a box at a UPS store. (I personally don't like PO Boxes cuz you can't get UOS & Fedex deliveries.)
Kinda a problem for me, I wouldn't have any place I could use...P.O.Box, I guess. How does that work in SC- can it even be done?
Another thing is I don't have any credit cards, I paid them all off (6 years ago-a good thing) and will never use one again. So I'd have to use cash for everything.
Taking care of DMV stuff from far might pose a problem?
thanks.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #146
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969

the 65' limit exists in many states i've been told.
regardless, i've seen a 40' diesel pusher towing a suburban, towing a boat. seriously.
i wonder if he was, ahem, detained on the road.

can't your range rover tow anything?
with an enclosed shop trailer, you can stuff your bikes in it for the trip & tow that with your RV.
then, the range rover can tow the bimmer. right?

A multiple beer discussion.

I think that the maximum towing capacity of a Land Rover Disco II is around 5,500 lbs. My current open trailer weighs something like 4,000 lbs. empty, so you see one of the issues.

But yeah ... I am thinking that if I put my shop into a 28 ft. trailer that I should be able to carry at least two bikes. I did some preliminary drawings for a detachable module that would have fit onto my existing 26 ft. trailer and was able to fit a big GS and the K1200LT into the workshop, at least according to the silhouettes that I used when I drew up my plans.

Texas lets an RV tow double trailers. Florida certainly doesn't. I don't think that any state to the east of Texas actually allows that.

Every so often you see a double trailer arrangement here in the Rio Grande Valley. Last fall I met a guy that ran a route cleaning some sort of industrial equipment and he moved from RV park to RV park and repeated that route about every two weeks. At any rate, he towed a nice travel trailer with a big pickup, and that in turn towed a trailer that had his work equipment. He'd drop the travel trailer, and then take the work trailer out for a day or two of cleaning.

I really don't want to go the double trailer route. I used to own a company that moved large boats (we specialized in big sailboats) and I am familiar with tall, wide, and long commodities. The Bluebird is relatively non-maneuverable because of a combination of long wheelbase (much longer than any tractor that you'll ever see) and because the steering wheel cut is very limited by today's standards.

Perhaps you realize that truckers often call double 28 ft. trailer combinations "wiggle wagons" and there is a reason for that. They are pretty squirrelly (in Europe they used to be limited to a top speed of somewhere around 45 mph) and almost impossible to back up.

An uncooperative 40 ft. motorhome and a string of trailers that you can't reverse is a bad combination, trust me.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #147
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Kinda a problem for me, I wouldn't have any place I could use...P.O.Box, I guess. How does that work in SC- can it even be done?

Why screw with SC? As has been pointed out, there are mail forwarding services just for that purpose that operate out of Florida and Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Another thing is I don't have any credit cards, I paid them all off (6 years ago-a good thing) and will never use one again. So I'd have to use cash for everything.
Taking care of DMV stuff from far might pose a problem?
thanks.

Bank of WalMart. Get a WalMart Visa-labeled card that you recharge by adding money to. There are WalMarts all over, and that lack of universal banking is, indeed, an issue when you are on the road.

(As an aside, when we were in Memphis we still had money in an account for our real estate bizness out of Florida. I went into a branch of the same bank where we had our accounts [SunTrust as I recall], and they refused to cash a business check for me personally. That was about the time that I decided to close the account. )
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #148
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
John,
Are you going to put a car in it too? having used my 11' garage as a shop, there is plenty of space for almost every job on a bike. imo.
So a 22' would give you room for 5 bikes if two or three were just a little smaller than what you list now in your profile with a little thought, or your current 4 with ease.


I'm not totally sure what I am going to do, to be honest.

As a practical matter, there isn't one perfect solution for me, short of hiring a truck driver and moving around with some sort of huge race car transporter. And then there is that pesky issue of $$$ ...

Some other possible data points:

- I am helping Bosswoman start a food service bizness. If that goes the business may need a medium-sized truck, and I could use that every so often to move a bigger trailer.

- It looks like I'm going back to work professionally. If that comes to pass we might get a newer motorhome. If we go to something like a Newell of a Prevost I might be able to get a stacker trailer. Our current motorhome can't handle a trailer that heavy.

- If you look at some of the other threads here I have been looking to systematically reduce the mass of my bikes (remember the comment in this thread about how living on the road changed your lifestyle?). I am trying to find an add'l set of mounts for Jesse Odyssey bags (either that, or change the whole setup to something like Pelican cases) so that I don't have to carry duplicate bags for what is essentially a pair of identical bikes (R1100GS and R1150GS). I have also been looking off and on for a smaller bike to supplement or replace one of the larger GS's, something like an X-Challenge or a farkled F-650GS.

Decisions, decisions ...

I have looked at modular garages, things built into ISO containers, and so forth. One thing about putting as much as I can into a 28 ft. trailer is that I should be able to find some pull-through spaces at RV parks and that would mean that I could use the existing electrical hookup to run the electrics in the trailer, and not have to screw with paying for a second lot at an RV park.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #149
thetourist
Just passing thru
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,973
Pirate John. My brother was a heavy truck guy when young. Then he started a welding business. That is up to a dozen welders, at this point.

Anyway, one of the cool things he builds is custom bodies for trucks. Railroad, mining and fire trucks. He has converted several Peterbuilts to pull large people trailers. (The big trucks have too much spring and tire.) He then puts bodies or boxes on the truck for what ever the owner wants.

He has done some very clever stuff. Based in Spokane WA. T-2 Fabrication.

http://www.t2servicesinc.com/
__________________
thetourist
The gate guard glares at me. "It's after curfew." He looks me up and down, "What do you think you are, some kind of ****** tourist?" ..Phu Loi 1969
My Idaho =7893
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #150
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist
Pirate John. My brother was a heavy truck guy when young. Then he started a welding business. That is up to a dozen welders, at this point.

Anyway, one of the cool things he builds is custom bodies for trucks. Railroad, mining and fire trucks. He has converted several Peterbuilts to pull large people trailers. (The big trucks have too much spring and tire.) He then puts bodies or boxes on the truck for what ever the owner wants.

He has done some very clever stuff. Based in Spokane WA. T-2 Fabrication.

http://www.t2servicesinc.com/

Thanks! I'll keep him in mind!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014