Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #196
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Here's one that will be an expat in the next couple of years. I will probably go to Mexico on an FM3 visa: http://www.mexonline.com/visa.htm
I visit Mexico a couple of time a year and I know I can live very inexpensively there, as I will live as Mexicans and not in high traffic tourist areas. Last trip to Copper, four of us had dinner in the small town of Mazatan (really off the grid) at the local tortia lady's house--total bill for all four about $7.50 (100 pesos), hotel room in same town $10 split 2 ways--very cheap, of course no hot water
I have been investigating business opportunities, gonna do a go back to Copper in March and do a couple of months in Mexico this summer.
I do have some retirement income and I could live in USA, but I really like the simplicity of Mexico--and the food
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #197
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969
what about boondocking?
the UK is a small country with 65 million crammed in & every bit of land has some official eye kept on it, so free-bee camping especially in a vehicle would be difficult.

There is also a big problem with gypsies (irish & english) that has caused a lot of resentment in the rural areas. Long term stay (weeks or months) in area not designated for camping will lead to some council official making you move on.

Boondocking in the UK would not be impossible - just a pain the arse. Wales & Scotland might be easier.

I expect the rest of Europe would be eaiser to boondock - more space.
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #198
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitouMike
Last trip to Copper, four of us had dinner in the small town of Mazatan (really off the grid) at the local tortia lady's house--total bill for all four about $7.50 (100 pesos), hotel room in same town $10 split 2 ways--very cheap, of course no hot water

Reminds me of a Canadian that I ran into a few years ago in the beach area of Tampico. He cut a deal with a small motel for several months use of a room with the understanding that he'd do his own laundry. The tab came to $6/night.

The motel didn't look that nice ... but was right down the road from some really nice stuff.

I have wondered about running down to that same place with our motorhome and asking them how much they would want to allow us to hook up the electrical power there.

$6/night motel:

Across the street:

Fancier places down the street:

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #199
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
the UK is a small country with 65 million crammed in & every bit of land has some official eye kept on it, so free-bee camping especially in a vehicle would be difficult.

There is also a big problem with gypsies (irish & english) that has caused a lot of resentment in the rural areas. Long term stay (weeks or months) in area not designated for camping will lead to some council official making you move on.

Boondocking in the UK would not be impossible - just a pain the arse. Wales & Scotland might be easier.

I expect the rest of Europe would be eaiser to boondock - more space.
There are plenty of hostels in the UK as well.
Also, if you're not from the UK, it's pretty easy to find someone to spend a few days with when in a small town or large city. UK folk are friendly. Especially the ladies.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #200
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Here's our $5 per person a night digs. Big inside locked area behind large block wall. I slept very well that night--cerveza sleeping pills

Pirate John, are you originally from Jax? I grew up there, lived on Northside on Clapboard Creek, and attended Andrew Jackson High class of 73.
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #201
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitouMike

Pirate John, are you originally from Jax? I grew up there, lived on Northside on Clapboard Creek, and attended Andrew Jackson High class of 73.

I lived there for about 13 years. Orange Park, San Pablo Rd. just inside the Intra Coastal Waterway, worked in Jax Beach for 7 years, had another house over in Julington Creek and a workshop for my motorcycles over in Arlington.

Great town, but it was simply time for us to travel.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #202
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
A multiple beer discussion.

I think that the maximum towing capacity of a Land Rover Disco II is around 5,500 lbs.
probably been said already, but discos (rangies & defenders) all tow 3,500Kg - legal limit in the UK = 7,716.179176475 lbs I am reliably informed
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #203
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
probably been said already, but discos (rangies & defenders) all tow 3,500Kg - legal limit in the UK = 7,716.179176475 lbs I am reliably informed

I'm not sure about the specifics of my 2003 Disco, but the fine print on my Range Rover was that, yes, you could tow that much but it had to be in low range, and that was impractical on a US Interstate because that would limit you to about 45 MPH.

Back in 1999 I towed a largish two-axle trailer with two motorcycles in it across the country and all that I can say is that while the Range Rover did the job, that handling was pretty evil, the maximum speed was slow, and on another towing trip I stretched the chain in the transfer case enough that I had to have the case rebuilt with a chain that I imported from England.

I love my Disco, but ...

I'm looking to get at getting heavier trailer so the weights will climb to around 4,000 lbs. empty, plus workshop tools, workbenches, and two large bikes. I suspect that's going to be around 8,000 lbs.

Thanks anyway!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #204
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
I went on a little trip in 1999. Did not come back till 2002.
No money involved.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #205
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
I went on a little trip in 1999. Did not come back till 2002.
No money involved.

Sounds like it was either the military or you went into prison.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #206
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Sounds like it was either the military or you went into prison.

And the difference is.......
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #207
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
And the difference is.......

That about like those jokes about the similarities between work and prison.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #208
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

[quote=PirateJohn]Sounds like it was either the military or you went into prison.

Neither.
If you have no debt no commitments there is no reason why you cannot hit the road and stay on it for years.
Ideally a camper and a truck and just get seasonal work where you can. There is money and great friends to be made. Not as glamorous as living in the burbs driving a soccer mom car but a hell of a lot more fun.

Here's an example of one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgAzoto3Tg

I did this on 3 different continents with months off at a time to explore.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #209
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,810
Thumb Jobs in National Parks

If you start down this path ( which I am really trying hard to do ), one of the first things you will need to do is inventory all of your job skills , followed by just what you are willing to do for money . Xantera ( spell check ) has the concession on almost all National Parks. Go to their web site, see what help they need, and where they need it. If you have a specific area, IE Death Valley NP, ride into their head quarters and see what they need. Typically they offer housing as part of the package and three squares a day at a great rate. Full RV space is usually offered in stead of housing. I know that at Scotty's Castle they pay $15 per hour to start for any position and a full hookup RV spot. They still can't keep people. Many of these employs move from park to park as they open and close.

Most Ski Resorts offer winter housing and since they close in the summer you can collect unemployment all summer and ride. Mammoth Mountain here in CA will train you and test you for a Class B bus license ( and pay you while doing so ). Then in the summer many of the drivers head off to drive in Alaska.

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #210
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall
If you start down this path ( which I am really trying hard to do ), one of the first things you will need to do is inventory all of your job skills , followed by just what you are willing to do for money . Xantera ( spell check ) has the concession on almost all National Parks. Go to their web site, see what help they need, and where they need it. If you have a specific area, IE Death Valley NP, ride into their head quarters and see what they need. Typically they offer housing as part of the package and three squares a day at a great rate. Full RV space is usually offered in stead of housing. I know that at Scotty's Castle they pay $15 per hour to start for any position and a full hookup RV spot. They still can't keep people. Many of these employs move from park to park as they open and close.

Most Ski Resorts offer winter housing and since they close in the summer you can collect unemployment all summer and ride. Mammoth Mountain here in CA will train you and test you for a Class B bus license ( and pay you while doing so ). Then in the summer many of the drivers head off to drive in Alaska.
$15/hour is decent money for doing nothing and adds up to over $2000/month with no rent which equates to another 600-1000/month, not bad.