Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #226
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
My buddy lives on Ambergris Caye (AC), Belize. He bought a house for cash down there about five years ago and lives frugally on less than $500 a month. Has a nice home with very low taxes, cable etc. Electric is higher but AirCon isn't really needed. Maintaining his golf cart is another expense. He has a permanent resident card so he comes and goes as he pleases. Hard to work unless you have your own business or work under the table.

I visited last year and it certainly is beautiful with nice peeps but AC is too small, expensive and touristy for me. I'm looking at going down again but want to visit Placencia, in Southern Belize as well as Corazol, on the Mexican border this time. Many of the locals working on AC are from Corazol and told me that's the place to be. Mexico is also right there for it's attractions and goods. Belize is certainly doable if you can adjust to living like local on local goods as U.S. stuff can be two to three times as expensive. If you are the least bit hesitant or fearful about travelling out of the country, especially Mexico, go to Belize. Even my timid wife enjoyed herself there and the people really are great.

Edit: Disclaimer, I have no business interest in Belize....Not a paid for endorsement...

A multiple beer discussion. I need to get down there and explore and see for myself (i.e. cut the carp) but from what I hear ...

Ambergris Cay is an island, and it's isolated from the rest of Belize because you need to ride a boat to get there.

However, it's close to parts of Mexico that are beginning to be developed, so it's getting increasingly easy to sneak in illegally. Sooner or later they are going to have to address the easy entrance from Mexico while at the same time being a gringo paradise isolated from some of the anti-gringo rhetoric in the rest of Belize.

Regardless of how you slice it, the place is pretty but not exactly a motorcyclist's haven. But if they build a bridge or authorize a ferry from Mexico to the Cay, then look out.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #227
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
A multiple beer discussion. I need to get down there and explore and see for myself (i.e. cut the carp) but from what I hear ...

Ambergris Cay is an island, and it's isolated from the rest of Belize because you need to ride a boat to get there.

However, it's close to parts of Mexico that are beginning to be developed, so it's getting increasingly easy to sneak in illegally. Sooner or later they are going to have to address the easy entrance from Mexico while at the same time being a gringo paradise isolated from some of the anti-gringo rhetoric in the rest of Belize.

Regardless of how you slice it, the place is pretty but not exactly a motorcyclist's haven. But if they build a bridge or authorize a ferry from Mexico to the Cay, then look out.
You can take the ferry or a 15 minute puddle jumper flight which is about $100. Easy to get over there regardless. Here is the main airline, read about it, quite the success story and great fun flying with them. http://www.tropicair.com/about.html

AC is the "happening" place in Belize economically so it attracts people for work. No shortage of 500K plus condo's for sale. It doesn't seem to be a big draw for Mexicans as it would be hard for them to melt into the local population which is quite varied ethnically. Hell, when I was there they weren't even letting Mexican mangoes into the country. A restaurant/bar owner told me you have to buy them smuggled in from Mexico..

And I wouldn't worry about that bridge to Mexico anytime soon. They just finally built a bridge suitable for golf carts that connects San Pedro with the northern part of the island. Xcalac and the Costa Maya in Mexico will develop but that will take time too.

Belize has good things going for it in that it is easy to live there as an expat on a tourist basis or as a legal resident. Their residency program is doable and fairly straightforward. they also have a reasonable government and a real legal system in place. English is also a plus. They speak three or four languages there but when you walk up to anyone they easily switch over to English. I think what really attracts people that purchase real estate for investment and future retirement is the stability of the country and the legal system.

The only negative I see is that it is more expensive than Mexico but that may be a wash for what you get. I don't know why my buddy chose AC to live. It's expensive and I know he really skimps to get by. There are many other suitable places but he wanted the ocean breeze to keep the heat down. Like I said, I think I would prefer the less developed Placencia, or even somewhere near a Mennonite community, which has a large and important presence in Belize. I think you would find them interesting as they are quite enterprising, involved in the government and brought a good work ethic to the country. One last thing, Belize City an be "sketchy" so be a bit careful there, otherwise I think you would enjoy what Belize offers. I like Mexico but find Belize easier to deal with. I like it MUCH better than Panama which I didn't take to at all.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #228
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
You can take the ferry or a 15 minute puddle jumper flight which is about $100. Easy to get over there regardless. Here is the main airline, read about it, quite the success story and great fun flying with them. http://www.tropicair.com/about.html

AC is the "happening" place in Belize economically so it attracts people for work. No shortage of 500K plus condo's for sale. It doesn't seem to be a big draw for Mexicans as it would be hard for them to melt into the local population which is quite varied ethnically. Hell, when I was there they weren't even letting Mexican mangoes into the country. A restaurant/bar owner told me you have to buy them smuggled in from Mexico..

And I wouldn't worry about that bridge to Mexico anytime soon. They just finally built a bridge suitable for golf carts that connects San Pedro with the northern part of the island. Xcalac and the Costa Maya in Mexico will develop but that will take time too.

Belize has good things going for it in that it is easy to live there as an expat on a tourist basis or as a legal resident. Their residency program is doable and fairly straightforward. they also have a reasonable government and a real legal system in place. English is also a plus. They speak three or four languages there but when you walk up to anyone they easily switch over to English. I think what really attracts people that purchase real estate for investment and future retirement is the stability of the country and the legal system.

The only negative I see is that it is more expensive than Mexico but that may be a wash for what you get. I don't know why my buddy chose AC to live. It's expensive and I know he really skimps to get by. There are many other suitable places but he wanted the ocean breeze to keep the heat down. Like I said, I think I would prefer the less developed Placencia, or even somewhere near a Mennonite community, which has a large and important presence in Belize. I think you would find them interesting as they are quite enterprising, involved in the government and brought a good work ethic to the country. One last thing, Belize City an be "sketchy" so be a bit careful there, otherwise I think you would enjoy what Belize offers. I like Mexico but find Belize easier to deal with. I like it MUCH better than Panama which I didn't take to at all.

Interesting post Gander. Thanks!

That puddle jumper thang kinda limits taking a motorcycle, which to me is a major drawback.

I know that, at one time, there were boats bringing people back and forth from the northern end of Ambergris Cay in and out of Mexico to the point that Mexico finally put a patrol boat in the waters there. It must be a river that they have to cross; I don't think that it's seriously blue water, so if a bridge isn't in the cards for the next few decades a ferry might be.

I have never heard anything good about Belize City. Someone, I think it was Eduardo from this site, told me that he ran into a guy that got held up two or three times in one day there. On the final robbery he pointed out that he didn't have any money nor watch any more and the robber let him go.

I've run into the Mennonites in Mexico. Nice folks, but they can't play pool worth a damn.

Incidentally, what did the psychologist prescribe to cure the nymphomaniac Amish girl? Two Mennonite, of course ...

It's interesting that you would mention the Belizean guv'mint and legal system. I used to subscribe to Belize Today and some of the various political parties' newspapers and such. There is some pretty serious anti-gringo and anti-non-black rhetoric in some circles, but as a practical matter no one ever acts on it. I personally think that having the majority of gringos on AC is a good thing in providing some distance, although I have personally known folks that developed resorts on the mainland and I have always heard them say that as long as you stay away from Belize City that everyone is friendly and that most houses remain unlocked during the day.

Aren't they building a bypass around Belize City right now, so that there really isn't a necessity to enter for most travelers?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #229
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Yeah. Less than 500 a month. Cheap. Really cheap.

Anybody out there living off of the internet? Stock markets, internet sales, internet sites? You know, working anywherer that they are located that has internet access.

I'm not a mechanic as I learned the hard way recently trying to change the rear tire. I had to leave it to a muscley man who had mechanical grace and skills. ( ).

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #230
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Yeah. Less than 500 a month. Cheap. Really cheap.

Anybody out there living off of the internet? Stock markets, internet sales, internet sites? You know, working anywherer that they are located that has internet access.

I'm not a mechanic as I learned the hard way recently trying to change the rear tire. I had to leave it to a muscley man who had mechanical grace and skills. ( ).

Suz
I have worked from my bus as a programmer since 2006. When I started my mobile lifestyle I already had a history with my employer (10 years) so the transition from telecommuting to mobile telecommuting was less scary to them. It's a salaried gig with regular paychecks via direct deposit, somewhat normal 8A-5P Mon-Fri hours with the occasional nightmare-mini-marathon of long hours.

Many jobs are suited to mobile telecommuting...programming, medical coding, accounting, tech writing. Unfortunately most of those jobs are easily sent to India, so you have to make sure that you bring value to your employer/customer that isn't offered by a company in India (that works for pennies to your dollar).

IMO, it is very important that your employer/client never gets nervous about the fact that you live on the beach in Belize, or a bus in the desert, a boat, etc. This means reliable & clear communications, punctuality, being available, and the quality of work must never suffer because of one's living situation.

This is gonna sound bad, but one advantage to living & working in Belize is that you can undercut your competitors in the US by living cheaper and thus charging less or accepting a lower salary. Which sucks, because that's what stings about offshoring in general. Kind of a grey area to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #231
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz

Not the 'net specifically, but I used to have a transportation brokerage and worked out of my house. Telephone and fax were the tools back then (this was in the mid 90's before the WWW really hit).

Food brokers and transportation brokers can often do quite well. When I shut the bizness down I owned three cars (S-Class Mercedes, Porsche Carrera, and Range Rover), several motorcycles, and almost had two boats (my sailboat had just been trashed in a hurricane).

Alas, in my case my little niche went away and I was never able to rebuild the business doing any other sort of freight.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #232
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF

Many jobs are suited to mobile telecommuting...programming, medical coding, accounting, tech writing.

I would question accounting as a mobile gig. That's where my career started, and what I am back to doing, and there's too much interaction with other people to be in a bus full time and wander (we are full timers, presumably putting down roots here for the time being, but that's another story).

Bookkeeping maybe ... but the repetitive numbers crunching jobs have all been given to computers, and I have trouble thinking of anything that a person could do that wouldn't require timely delivery of scads and scads of paper.

I do know a lady who is an advanced medical coder who is working from her travel trailer (a nice classic Airstream) these days, but it's because she is being treated for cancer and her immunity is too low to allow her to go to the office.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #233
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
I would question accounting as a mobile gig. That's where my career started, and what I am back to doing, and there's too much interaction with other people to be in a bus full time and wander (we are full timers, presumably putting down roots here for the time being, but that's another story).

Bookkeeping maybe ... but the repetitive numbers crunching jobs have all been given to computers, and I have trouble thinking of anything that a person could do that wouldn't require timely delivery of scads and scads of paper.

I do know a lady who is an advanced medical coder who is working from her travel trailer (a nice classic Airstream) these days, but it's because she is being treated for cancer and her immunity is too low to allow her to go to the office.
Fair enough, I'll readily defer to those who know something about the money managing biz. Like IT, there are probably some accounting-type jobs that are better suited to being mobile, while some (most?) are not.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #234
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Quote:
Interesting post Gander. Thanks!

That puddle jumper thang kinda limits taking a motorcycle, which to me is a major drawback.

I know that, at one time, there were boats bringing people back and forth from the northern end of Ambergris Cay in and out of Mexico to the point that Mexico finally put a patrol boat in the waters there. It must be a river that they have to cross; I don't think that it's seriously blue water, so if a bridge isn't in the cards for the next few decades a ferry might be.

I have never heard anything good about Belize City. Someone, I think it was Eduardo from this site, told me that he ran into a guy that got held up two or three times in one day there. On the final robbery he pointed out that he didn't have any money nor watch any more and the robber let him go.

I've run into the Mennonites in Mexico. Nice folks, but they can't play pool worth a damn.

Incidentally, what did the psychologist prescribe to cure the nymphomaniac Amish girl? Two Mennonite, of course ...

It's interesting that you would mention the Belizean guv'mint and legal system. I used to subscribe to Belize Today and some of the various political parties' newspapers and such. There is some pretty serious anti-gringo and anti-non-black rhetoric in some circles, but as a practical matter no one ever acts on it. I personally think that having the majority of gringos on AC is a good thing in providing some distance, although I have personally known folks that developed resorts on the mainland and I have always heard them say that as long as you stay away from Belize City that everyone is friendly and that most houses remain unlocked during the day.

Aren't they building a bypass around Belize City right now, so that there really isn't a necessity to enter for most travelers?

I guess you might be able to take the bike over on the ferry. Cars aren't allowed on AC unless you have a permit and I understand you need to know someone or have a taxi business etc. People already think there are too many cars on the island. If you visit AC I would leave the bike with someone.

AC at one time was part of Mexico. The water between the island and Mexico is supposedly a channel dug by the Mayans. Reading the paper and stuff it seems like the border is pretty well run. I also read where they just redefined the border between themselves in what seemed like an orderly fashion. The only border problem anyone mentioned to me was that Guatamalans try to come across the border to farm because Guatamala is much more crowded than Belize.

They seem to have a healthy political system. Two major poliltical parties I think and they have their share of rascals. Seems like the press is onto them when necessary though. To me it seemed that Belizians were proud of their ethnic diversity. I do know they have a strong "Belizians first" mentality which is fine with me. They are a poor, developing country. They have Indians, Mestizo's, Jamaicans, African Caribes, Anglo's. etc. and many have their own community's.

To get to Belize cheaply some fly to Cancun and bus down to Chetumal, MX. From there you can take a taxi or van across the border to Corazol, BZ. From there you can bus or rent a car or catch a flight and drive/fly anywhere in Belize including AC. Airfares are hard to estimate but from Dallas if you watch the fares you can pay $400+ to $500 + or so. Cancun is more like $240 to $340. I left my house in Fort Worth at 10:00 and was in my room on AC at around 3:30. I walked to my room from the AC airport - how cool is that!

If you're in Belize on a tourist visa it's easy to run up to Corazol and into Mexico to reset your clock when it runs out although there is a small charge to do so. It seems once people realize they want to stay they obtain their residency card which also allows them a one-time duty-free import of vehicles, boats, planes, household effects etc. I forgot to mention earlier also that you are able to buy property outright in Belize unlike Mexico which has restrictions on coastal property etc. I understand transactions use a lawyer (and realtor) and it takes a few months to get the title to your land.

Not sure about the Bypass in BZ City, didin't spend anytime there. Many people take a taxi into town from the airport so they can catch the ferry but I just walked across the tarmac and caught the puddle jumper which was worth it. make sure you get on first and you can sit up front and be the co-pilot!

Like I said before, the people are very freindly in Belize. It's nice to be able to really meet people and not just nod and talk in butchered Spanish to them. Oh, and you'l meet a few folks for various far-flung corners of the world. I ate at one restaurant owned bu a nice Jordanian guy. He kinda got on my nerves though because he kept going on about how lazy Belizians are...he was "wound" pretty tight.... lol

This is a link to a decent forum if its what I think it is. Plenty of good people who like to answer questions.

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/
Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #235
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Fair enough, I'll readily defer to those who know something about the money managing biz. Like IT, there are probably some accounting-type jobs that are better suited to being mobile, while some (most?) are not.
Gracias!

There are plenty of construction folks that move from job to job in their travel trailers and so forth. When we were in San Antonio there was a power plant job going on nearby and the RV park was full of 'em ... mostly laid off and between gigs, alas. Power plant construction is somewhat a specialty (a few years ago I was working for a company that did HVAC for power plants). I guess that there might be some gigs that need on site office staff, but generally all the accounting is done back at the Corporate Office somewhere.

I have seen other contractors that traveled by RV to do other speciality construction. I do remember a guy, years ago, that moved around and built some sort of chain pancake restaurant (Perkins maybe?) to their spec in various cities, but I think that only the construction manager was mobile and that he hired local labor wherever he went.

Carny workers are mobile. Man, do I have some stories about hangin' with the circus and carny folks in Gibsonton, Florida a few years ago.

There are a couple of other folks here at ADVRider who have done disaster relief work and insurance adjusting. We worked with FEMA last year. That can be pretty profitable and an excellent opportunity to wander but it's pretty hit or miss. If there had been another hurricane season like last year and *IF* we had been called up then we would have dropped our temporary jobs (we were both working at convenience stores to make ends meet) and headed out. But that didn't happen so I was forced to do the unthinkable - get what we used to call a Real Job after almost 2 years of being a wandering motorcycling hippy/gypsy.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #236
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

This is a link to a decent forum if its what I think it is. Plenty of good people who like to answer questions.

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/

I'm actually a member over there. Joined 8/28/07, according to my profile.

Thanks for the info. Now that I'm on the Tex/Mex border I hope to ride to the Yucatan and hopefully cross into Belize during the next few years. I've been interested in the place since I was in college and read about the Brits thwarting a military invasion by Guatemala with an undisclosed number of troops but demonstrating overwhelming force (read: two Harrier VTOL jets, a Puma and Gazelle helicopter or two, and just a handful of troops )
Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #237
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Quote:
I'm actually a member over there. Joined 8/28/07, according to my profile.

Thanks for the info. Now that I'm on the Tex/Mex border I hope to ride to the Yucatan and hopefully cross into Belize during the next few years. I've been interested in the place since I was in college and read about the Brits thwarting a military invasion by Guatemala with an undisclosed number of troops but demonstrating overwhelming force (read: two Harrier VTOL jets, a Puma and Gazelle helicopter or two, and just a handful of troops )

Not a problem. I'm considering a ride down myself plus I need to see some more of South Texas. I go to Laredo occassionally for work but I'd like to get over and see the valley too.

Funny you mentioned the Brits, (for those reading Belize was Briitish Honduras at one time) I got pretty snockered last year drinking with some Brit Army guys down there who were in-county for jungle training.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #238
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Not a problem. I'm considering a ride down myself plus I need to see some more of South Texas. I go to Laredo occassionally for work but I'd like to get over and see the valley too.

Funny you mentioned the Brits, (for those reading Belize was Briitish Honduras at one time) I got pretty snockered last year drinking with some Brit Army guys down there who were in-county for jungle training.

I'm in the McAllen, TX area, so if you get down here and need any advice/logistical support/ or want someone to ride with then let me know. We are getting pretty familiar with Reynosa and can get you to the services (food, hotel, secure bike parking) around the Centro, and through the permit process pretty efficiently.

There was a story going around a few years ago that some Belizean kid (I heard that it was the son of a drug dealer) smarted off to one of the Gurkhas that was down there training the troops and the Gurkha then proceeded to demonstrate how to behead a person right there inside the bar (or whorehouse) where this happened. Consequently the local kids gave the Royal Marines, Royal Army, and other troops considerable respect for an extended period of time.

Dunno if it's true or not, but it makes for a good tale.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #239
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Quote:
I'm in the McAllen, TX area, so if you get down here and need any advice/logistical support/ or want someone to ride with then let me know. We are getting pretty familiar with Reynosa and can get you to the services (food, hotel, secure bike parking) around the Centro, and through the permit process pretty efficiently.

There was a story going around a few years ago that some Belizean kid (I heard that it was the son of a drug dealer) smarted off to one of the Gurkhas that was down there training the troops and the Gurkha then proceeded to demonstrate how to behead a person right there inside the bar (or whorehouse) where this happened. Consequently the local kids gave the Royal Marines, Royal Army, and other troops considerable respect for an extended period of time.

Dunno if it's true or not, but it makes for a good tale.

Thanks, I'll give you a yell if I can make it happen.

I wouldn't discount the Gurkha story too quickly. I've worked with them two or three times in Hong Kong and they were certainly professional, no-nonsense types.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #240
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

I wouldn't discount the Gurkha story too quickly. I've worked with them two or three times in Hong Kong and they were certainly professional, no-nonsense types.

I'm not sure where I heard the story. I was hangin' around some Royal Marines a decade ago that were going to be in Belize later in the year, and I got the impression that they were polite, well edumacated, and that you really didn't want to mess with them.

They may have told me the story.

C'mon down!