ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #316
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam




You make me regret not going to NAU. I was accepted but went elsewhere.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #317
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Repeat after me: What this nation's economy needs is a good natural disaster...
I hate to be a ghoul, but I'm waiting for hurricane season myself.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #318
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,300
Belieze as an expat or retiree

I asked the manager of the resort I was working at (on Ambergris Cay, north island) if I could live there on what money I expect to get from Social Security when my time comes (only 52 this year). He said you could live very comfortably on $1,000 > $1,500 per month - but not on the beach (Ambergris Cay). You'd have to go inland for that. He defined living well as: 1,000sf home, one car, food, clothing and inexpensive entertainment.

I asked how much more if I wanted to employ a husband and wife team for cooking, cleaning, laundry and general maintenance (mow the lawn, pressure wash off the mold and mildew , wash the car - you know, the essentials ). He said that if I provided a place to sleep where they were warm, dry and safe (think 1BR apt the size of a one car garage) and provided food and clothing I might not have to pay them anything. And $100 > $200 per month in cash on top of room and board would be considered generous and greatly appreciated. Admittedly, this was five or six years ago but I doubt things have changed all that much down there.

Food for thought. Most all of the doctors in Belieze, that are from Belieze, were trained in Cuba. They don't actually have a med school there. One doctor I heard about was very honest when an elderly woman blew out an ankle. He stabilized it and told her to get back to the US asap to have it looked at. He told her he was as good as they got down there, but that he was neither up to the task, nor in posession of the equipment, to deal with that. Now imagine having a heart attack or something worse.

More food for thought. This country is so poor that their national education budget comes as a grant from Mexico. I mean, honestly, when you're so poor that you get grants from Mexico . . .

Also, at the time I was there, they had no power generation plants in the country. Yes, lost of places had their own generators but the country didn't produce electricity. It came in from Mexico form the north and from Honduras from the south. There was talk of daming up a river to generate electricity but that was going to ruin the Tucan habitat and it may have been nixed - I haven't been there in five or six years.

Now you know as much as I do about Belieze.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #319
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
Or like Belieze which has a 100% import duty.
Belice is a beautiful C/A English-speaking country with US/CN prices.
Some vehicles come through GT dealers, and are not 100% duty.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #320
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Belice is a beautiful C/A English-speaking country with US/CN prices.
Some vehicles come through GT dealers, and are not 100% duty.
Not if you buy from a local dealer, I agree.

However, if your purchase something in the US and bring it into the country it gets a 100% import duty applied.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #321
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder
 
ywr969's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
You either don't takes showers inside the RV, or you have access to a pit toilet somewhere.
i'm a guy -- the great outdoors is my urinal.
no comment on gray water, but i think you can figure it out.
regarding showers, ours has a trigger on the showerhead that allows us to take minimalist showers, using very little water.
you just need to stop using so much water, PJ.
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
2006 Triumph S3

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #322
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer
 
LeftCoastMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Motorcycling State of California
Oddometer: 488
I'm doing this

I wasn't laid off or anything, I just gave the finger to my company, and for the past six months, I've been planning and preparing for a 1-2 year trip around North America with no set objectives. I have to do some consulting work, so I have to actually bring a suitcase with a suit, shirts and ties, just in case I have to fly somewhere.

But I've sold my house, put everything I care about into storage (which really was a few pictures and paintings, some books, and my baseball/hockey memorabilia collection). I sold my furniture and everything else. As soon as escrow closes in 45 days, I'm going to see the country (well, two, maybe three countries).

Although I'm not riding an off-road bike, I hope I run into some of you who decided to do the same. I don't want to talk about politics, accounting principles, marketing strategies, or hedging commodities futures. I want to sit and talk about baseball, hockey, a secret campground in the redwoods, and where to get the best burgers. In fact, I want to find some really good burgers.

Oh, I'm a really cheap SOB, so if I'm spending more than a few bucks a night on food and a campground, then I'm not going to be happy. That's why I love this website.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #323
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
Leftcoastman, That's Great news!!

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do afterward?
Are you retired with an income stream, or are you thinking you'll go back to work and build up a nest egg?



Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
I wasn't laid off or anything, I just gave the finger to my company, and for the past six months, I've been planning and preparing for a 1-2 year trip around North America with no set objectives. I have to do some consulting work, so I have to actually bring a suitcase with a suit, shirts and ties, just in case I have to fly somewhere.

But I've sold my house, put everything I care about into storage (which really was a few pictures and paintings, some books, and my baseball/hockey memorabilia collection). I sold my furniture and everything else. As soon as escrow closes in 45 days, I'm going to see the country (well, two, maybe three countries).

Although I'm not riding an off-road bike, I hope I run into some of you who decided to do the same. I don't want to talk about politics, accounting principles, marketing strategies, or hedging commodities futures. I want to sit and talk about baseball, hockey, a secret campground in the redwoods, and where to get the best burgers. In fact, I want to find some really good burgers.

Oh, I'm a really cheap SOB, so if I'm spending more than a few bucks a night on food and a campground, then I'm not going to be happy. That's why I love this website.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #324
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer
 
LeftCoastMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Motorcycling State of California
Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Leftcoastman, That's Great news!!

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do afterward?
Are you retired with an income stream, or are you thinking you'll go back to work and build up a nest egg?
Ask me in two years!

I enjoy writing on science and pseudoscience, and I have a couple of books in mind. My adventure may be staying in a campground for a few days, write a few chapters, pack up, find another campground and repeat. Although I like the idea of camping on church grounds and the such for free, I need to sit still for days on end while writing.

I don't think I want to go back to business, but I'm sure a friend will try to convince me to help in a new venture, and I'll just have to resist.

Right now, instead of planning out 10 years, I'm going to plan out the next 10 days. Then the next 10 days. After reading a number of the stories on here, and following Ara (the Oasis of my soul) for a couple of years, I think the experience will be cathartic. Or maybe I'll play the lottery along the way and strike it rich.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #325
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Studiously avoiding the cookie jar
Oddometer: 27,300
Average income in Nicaragua is, per our tour guide (it was a day trip from Costa Rica) the equivalent of USD$250/mo. FWIW.
__________________
Consider the source.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #326
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer
 
LeftCoastMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Motorcycling State of California
Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
Average income in Nicaragua is, per our tour guide (it was a day trip from Costa Rica) the equivalent of USD$250/mo. FWIW.
If the weather was more temperate, I'd love to live like that. Good cigars too!
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #327
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I hate to be a ghoul, but I'm waiting for hurricane season myself.

I know. It's a tough one. On one hand you don't want to wish ill on anyone else, but on the other hand food and diesel cost money.

I've taken a permanent gig here and SWMBO'd is trying to start a food service bizness, so we are going to be here for the foreseeable future. But I'm working for a utility and there are all sorts of disaster-relief opportunities when one is a manager for a utility. So stay tuned.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #328
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
I don't want to talk about politics, accounting principles, marketing strategies, or hedging commodities futures. I want to sit and talk about baseball, hockey, a secret campground in the redwoods, and where to get the best burgers. In fact, I want to find some really good burgers.

You get yourself down here whilst on your way to Mexico and I'm pretty sure that I can hook you up with some killer burgers and they won't kill your budget, either ... http://www.smokinacesbar.com/ and click on the link for "the best bar food in the Rio Grande Valley"
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #329
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969
i'm a guy -- the great outdoors is my urinal.
no comment on gray water, but i think you can figure it out.
regarding showers, ours has a trigger on the showerhead that allows us to take minimalist showers, using very little water.
you just need to stop using so much water, PJ.

Let me tell you about the time that the starter failed when I was ready to move the bus for the weekly ritual of tank flushing ...

Let's just say that I sent SWMBO'd to her sister's house and I stayed with the bus. Used the outside facilities when possible and the facilities at a friend's bar when necessary.

It took me and the traveling mechanic about a week to get the parts and get the bus started, and at that point the nasty holding tank was so close to the top that it wasn't funny.

Good memories, however.

But you are right. A person can seriously conserve resources when they need to. I just kinda like my showers ... and so does anyone that sits next to me.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #330
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder
 
ywr969's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
A person can seriously conserve resources when they need to. I just kinda like my showers ... and so does anyone that sits next to me.
ha!

i recently returned from a week at my brother's place, which is very similar to tent camping since his well flows very little water...
instead of showering each morning, i employed the german "sponge bath" technique with soap, a washcloth, & very little water usage.
worked surprisingly well.
trust me, i have a very sensitive proboscis; i can easily tell when i stink!

i'm lazy, so i'd rather conserve as much water as possible than fire up my rig & drive into town to dump the tanks & fetch more water...
but that's just me.
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
2006 Triumph S3

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014