Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #331
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
You get yourself down here whilst on your way to Mexico and I'm pretty sure that I can hook you up with some killer burgers and they won't kill your budget, either ... http://www.smokinacesbar.com/ and click on the link for "the best bar food in the Rio Grande Valley"
You like good food in the RGV?

1) Go here: http://www.lapampasteakhouse.com/

2) You're done.

The menu doesn't pop up on their website. But the Chorizzo and onion appetiser is fantastic. The filet is fantastic. Every damn thing on the menu is fantastic. Everydamthing on the menu is expensive as well, so plan ahead before you go. But it is amazing.

It's on the East side of Ruben Torres Blvd, about a mile south of the mall.

You can thank me later.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #332
barefootrider
BMW airheads

Oddometer: 44
Wicked

I just came back from Brasil and now even California seems cheap to me. Our dollar is loosing value and soon tourists will come here to live on the cheap. Something to think about.
barefootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #333
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
You like good food in the RGV?

1) Go here: http://www.lapampasteakhouse.com/

2) You're done.

The menu doesn't pop up on their website. But the Chorizzo and onion appetiser is fantastic. The filet is fantastic. Every damn thing on the menu is fantastic. Everydamthing on the menu is expensive as well, so plan ahead before you go. But it is amazing.

It's on the East side of Ruben Torres Blvd, about a mile south of the mall.

You can thank me later.

Yeah, but that's fancy food. My girlfriend does excellent bar food. There is a difference.

Drop in and make your complaints, but just remember that she 1) has taken formal classes in quality cookin' and 2) has a meat cleaver in the kitchen.

Good luck, and let me know how the conversation goes. ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #334
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootrider
I just came back from Brasil and now even California seems cheap to me. Our dollar is loosing value and soon tourists will come here to live on the cheap. Something to think about.

Oh yeah.

When I was in Guam 15 years or so ago, the gringos were tipping the topless dancers $1 and the Japanese kids were tipping $20. Guess who got served their drinks first?

PirateJohn screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 07:41 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #335
barefootrider
BMW airheads

Oddometer: 44
Eek

I was searching the threads for "KLR Brazil" to get some info on temporary importation (My brother and I are planning yet another motorcycle trip to Latin America) when I stumbled onto this interesting thread.
Some things I have learned in my attempts at retirement:
1. If you retire too early and you are not mentally ready you will not make the best of it - even if you are financially ready
2. Anybody can retire from revenue-generating work it all depends on the life-style you desire
3, No matter how well you planned living on the cheap, if you are married, she will have a whole different definition of "cheap" and "comfort"
barefootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 AM   #336
Nik00117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
THis is actually sorta like I'm living now...

For the past year I lived in Kosovo with no roots 3 foot lockers, 2 boxes, and a suit case containing my entire life possessions. I am now in germany for a month hanging out with friends, then I intend on gonig to the states for 2-3 weeks then heading back to Germany for 2 months to do some work, then down to eastern europe again etc.

In the first 2 months of this year i logged 25,000 miles on planes. You really get good at living on the cheap after a while, and it's interseting...

My parents are begging me to settle down but I'm like 'heh'

My friend in the states wants to join me and I go 'get your suitcase packed!' he hasn't yet btw
Nik00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #337
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side

Quote:
Housing (for now) and food are cheaper here. Everything else will cost more. Some things much more. Have I complained enough about how a 2010 DL650 will cost me about 17,000 USD thanks to import and VAT taxes!!!!

Well thanks to the housing/credit/foreclosure epidemic I am planning on moving back to the states late this year or next year. Buying a foreclosure will cost less then housing here (Brazil) and the difference in cost of a car, motorcycle and everything else will more then make up for the slightly higher cost of food. Plus we really miss Trader Joe's.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #338
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat
Well thanks to the housing/credit/foreclosure epidemic I am planning on moving back to the states late this year or next year. Buying a foreclosure will cost less then housing here (Brazil) and the difference in cost of a car, motorcycle and everything else will more then make up for the slightly higher cost of food. Plus we really miss Trader Joe's.
sounds like this thread is coming full circle.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #339
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Plus we really miss Trader Joe's.

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #340
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Housing (for now) and food are cheaper here. Everything else will cost more. Some things much more. Have I complained enough about how a 2010 DL650 will cost me about 17,000 USD thanks to import and VAT taxes!!!!
Thailand is the same way. Housing is a lot cheaper outside the cities and famous islands, and a little cheaper in 'desirable' areas. Food is cheap everywhere...

...But if you have any sort of hobbies that require you to buy some things, you will find it very expensive and very hard to source. Some foods are also quite expensive, like steak, seafood, lobster, etc.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #341
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
?
patties look too uniform, ie mass produced/frozen & buns look generic store bought. i guess the marketing worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
You get yourself down here whilst on your way to Mexico and I'm pretty sure that I can hook you up with some killer burgers and they won't kill your budget, either ... http://www.smokinacesbar.com/ and click on the link for "the best bar food in the Rio Grande Valley"
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #342
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
NOT

EVEN

CLOSE

This year I purchased a used 2001 Ford Pickup for $6,000

CA wanted $1,435 to register it.

NV was $160

So, I live in Nevada now
It wasn't $1,435 to register it. I'm sure your registration was about the same as NV, if not less. Most of that cash was sales tax for the purchase. Almost every state will want to get that sales tax, even if you try to register out of state. Let's say you bought it for $6,000 in California, but try to register it in another state (if they allow it or you have family there who will allow you to use their address). The other state will want the bill of sale to prove that you are the legal owner. And if you can't prove you paid California sales tax, then you will have to pay sales tax in the new state.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #343
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
Almost every state will want to get that sales tax
AZ doesn't require sales tax on private sales.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #344
macgart
johnny mac

Oddometer: 194
Quote:

3, No matter how well you planned living on the cheap, if you are married, she will have a whole different definition of "cheap" and "comfort"

A truer statement has never been made!

~ Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels ~

http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com
macgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #345
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,270
Not really the parameters of the original post but I retired 4 and half years ago and have lived in Copan,Honduras,LaPaz BCS Mexico,Merida,Mexico and Jomtien,Thailand since.I returned last year for death in the family and will head down to Brownsville,Tx in a few months.
After that lease,it's off to Kailua Kona on the Big Island for quite a while.
Surprisingly,bike shipping from San Diego is only $625 to Hilo.
Only regret was too slow a pace of life on Copan and not bringing my GS to Thailand due to prohibitive cost.So a scooter worked.