Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #346
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
?
patties look too uniform, ie mass produced/frozen & buns look generic store bought. i guess the marketing worked.

I think that she's gone back to using meat out of a tube and portioning it herself, but for awhile the absolutely best tasting burgers - according to the customers - were actually some frozen pre-portioned stuff.

That's become one of the realities of doing a bar/restaurant food business. As soon as you get it "just right" the suppliers change their product, leave the market, or raise the prices.

Buns? Well ... we don't have a bakery just for the bar, but you'd be surprised at how good a premium bun that's been toasted on the grill tastes.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #347
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Yeah, but that's fancy food. My girlfriend does excellent bar food. There is a difference.

Drop in and make your complaints, but just remember that she 1) has taken formal classes in quality cookin' and 2) has a meat cleaver in the kitchen.

Good luck, and let me know how the conversation goes. ;)
I wasn't setting up a comparison, I was just telling you a great place to take the missus to dinner. The food is fantastic.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #348
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootrider
I just came back from Brasil and now even California seems cheap to me. Our dollar is loosing value and soon tourists will come here to live on the cheap. Something to think about.
I labored over this idea of moving and livng cheap. This poster has it right. If you are prepared to live in Southern California like you would for instance in San Felipe, in a worn out trailer with no drains, tank only water, propane only gas, dirt roads, no electricity, you could actually live pretty darn inexpensively. I stayed in San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez (such as it is up north) for 10 days. It gets pretty old, and eating becomes a problem after what we are used to here. There are few fresh vegetables and fruit, meat is expensive, funnily enough fish can be expensive. Gasoline is sameish as here. Not having a four inch drain and unlimited water to flush and bathe gets REAL old.
You could live in a motorhome in Long Beach for less than you could live in San Felipe and have access to a proper sewer system and inexpensive fresh food. If times are tight it's time to re-think the way we live here and adjust accordingly...the grass is often not so green on the other side of the hill after all. I understand the allure of exotic places with warm weather, but if it's inexpensive there is often a reason, either very difficult to get too or lack of services.
I can stay in Oceanside Harbor for $450 a month, dump my sewer for free and eat better and for less money than Mexico. it's a hard pill to swallow for some dreamers, but it's basically true. YES, there are exceptions, there always are, but Shangri La is a secret place where only a few reside. Make your own paradise where you are and it will be better for everyone, you'll see.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #349
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Great Thread

Very true TUCKERS, but keep in mind that 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' is a sarcastic old homily and meant to warn people from dreaming. It is no great loss if while in search of Xanadu, you find that it was right at home all along. The success is in finding it, not where it is located.

On the other hand, you can (if you wish) travel and live cheaply all over the place, just be prepared for the occassional comprise to do it. That's why many ride these two-wheeled beasts, to travel .... whether it is for a few weeks, or months, or years.

Your sig I think sums it up quite well:

"Life is a fatal ADVenture. It can only have one end. So why not make it as far ranging and free as possible?"
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #350
macgart
johnny mac

Oddometer: 194
Tuckers makes a great point. As I read through this thread I came to realize that the common notion of running away to Mexico or another C.A. country is not as easy or cheap as I had dreamed. My wife and I had a lengthy conversation about this one evening and by the end, I had came to the conclusion that it might be better to live the vagabond lifestyle in a small RV here in the US.

The insight of ex-pats and those who have actually been living abroad are invaluable. I traveled to many different countries and lived there for several months while in the military (I know this is different than living there on your own) so it gave me some insight into this lifestyle. It was a much different experience than of a tourist because we often worked with the locals and spent our off time hanging out with them. We also were not stationed in the usual tourist locales.

I read a post somewhere in this thread by someone who was trying to get rolling working for NPS/BLM/etc and traveling to different locations to follow the desirable weather while living out of an RV. This is something my wife and I are interested in as well.

I'm at a point in life where I care little for owning property and expensive vehicles. In my mind they are anchors rather than symbols of success.

Tuckers sig really does say it all.

~ Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels ~

http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com
macgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #351
barefootrider
BMW airheads

Oddometer: 44
Cry how costs relate to infrastructure

Tuckers have it right, make the best of what you have already. To be more specific infrastructure. Let me explain, if I am on the road and have a breakdown its expensive, the same breakdown at home with a fully equipped garage and a spare vehicle its a minor inconvenience. (Just happened to me when a spark plug failed on my Ulysses far from home.)
Three years ago I stayed for 3 months in Brasil - even though I paid for all the beer, restaurants, groceries & gas for two people it was less than half of what it cost me for 2 weeks with my wife in Brasil recently. The difference, infrastructure Before I had a place to stay and access to a vehicle now I had to rent a car and stay in Hotels. If you take the RV route you take some of the infrastructure with you. You have a place to stay, cook your own food and carry tools for repairs.
If you have the infrastructure in the country you choose is only a choice of climate and exchange rate.
barefootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #352
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I wasn't setting up a comparison, I was just telling you a great place to take the missus to dinner. The food is fantastic.

I was just kiddin' Amigo. Thanks for the info!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #353
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgart
The insight of ex-pats and those who have actually been living abroad are invaluable. I traveled to many different countries and lived there for several months while in the military (I know this is different than living there on your own) so it gave me some insight into this lifestyle. It was a much different experience than of a tourist because we often worked with the locals and spent our off time hanging out with them. We also were not stationed in the usual tourist locales.
You bring up a point that I fear many people who try to live the ex-pat lifestyle overlook. You can live much cheaper in some of these places (Costa Rica, Nicaragua, etc.) IF YOU LIVE LIKE THE LOCALS. Many people want to try to live in the tourist places that they've visited and end up finding it costs as much or more than just staying at home in the US. To truly live inexpensively, as the locals do, you have to live as the locals do. Not in a tourist area. Typically amid people who do not speak english as a first or second language. And I think that many of the folks who want to "go expat" are of an age where the US lifestyle is too deeply ingrained for them to make the switch to going native. Your military experience showed you what it would take to "go native" and it seems you didn't want to make the switch. Your being observant and honest with yourself . . . . it should help you stay happy.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #354
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,809
Thumb Here In Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS
I labored over this idea of moving and livng cheap. This poster has it right. If you are prepared to live in Southern California like you would for instance in San Felipe, in a worn out trailer with no drains, tank only water, propane only gas, dirt roads, no electricity, you could actually live pretty darn inexpensively. I stayed in San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez (such as it is up north) for 10 days. It gets pretty old, and eating becomes a problem after what we are used to here. There are few fresh vegetables and fruit, meat is expensive, funnily enough fish can be expensive. Gasoline is sameish as here. Not having a four inch drain and unlimited water to flush and bathe gets REAL old.
You could live in a motorhome in Long Beach for less than you could live in San Felipe and have access to a proper sewer system and inexpensive fresh food. If times are tight it's time to re-think the way we live here and adjust accordingly...the grass is often not so green on the other side of the hill after all. I understand the allure of exotic places with warm weather, but if it's inexpensive there is often a reason, either very difficult to get too or lack of services.
I can stay in Oceanside Harbor for $450 a month, dump my sewer for free and eat better and for less money than Mexico. it's a hard pill to swallow for some dreamers, but it's basically true. YES, there are exceptions, there always are, but Shangri La is a secret place where only a few reside. Make your own paradise where you are and it will be better for everyone, you'll see.
Here in Bishop you can get a full hook up spot on Bishop Creek, in town, walking distance to all restaruants for $400 a month + electricty. Includes unlimited free hot showers and a coin laundry. I have been looking at RV Parks every where I ride. The most expensive was in the Black Hills and was $1000 per month all inclusive. Prices very.

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #355
macgart
johnny mac

Quote:
You bring up a point that I fear many people who try to live the ex-pat lifestyle overlook. You can live much cheaper in some of these places (Costa Rica, Nicaragua, etc.) IF YOU LIVE LIKE THE LOCALS. Many people want to try to live in the tourist places that they've visited and end up finding it costs as much or more than just staying at home in the US. To truly live inexpensively, as the locals do, you have to live as the locals do. Not in a tourist area. Typically amid people who do not speak english as a first or second language. And I think that many of the folks who want to "go expat" are of an age where the US lifestyle is too deeply ingrained for them to make the switch to going native. Your military experience showed you what it would take to "go native" and it seems you didn't want to make the switch. Your being observant and honest with yourself . . . . it should help you stay happy.
Very true. I could probably live like a local for a while. My wife, on the other hand, would not last a week. I don't think I'd enjoy living like a local for an extended period of time either. As you very correctly stated "many of the folks who want to "go expat" are of an age where the US lifestyle is too deeply ingrained for them to make the switch to going native", I fall into this category. It can be romantic to dream of an idyllic life on the beach sipping margaritas, but to me it is only a dream (or a vacation).

My wife and I recently took a trip down to Jerome, AZ. She ended up with a case of Valley Fever (a real viral infection) which led to pneumonia. Apparently Valley Fever is common in AZ. I couldn't imagine having to deal with this in some place like San Quitin or Lopez Mateo. This is not to say that a similar incident couldn't be dealt with there, I'd just rather not.

This is an excellent eye-opener thread. Thanks to all.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #356
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall
$400 a month + electricty
i paid $375 per month last summer, & that included electricity. full hookups. right next to a nat'l forest, in a beautiful area. warm days, cool nights. surrounded by tall evergreens. tons of trails & roads for all my bikes.
just sayin'
hoping to repeat the experience this summer.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #357
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969
i paid $375 per month last summer, & that included electricity. full hookups. right next to a nat'l forest, in a beautiful area. warm days, cool nights. surrounded by tall evergreens. tons of trails & roads for all my bikes.
just sayin'
hoping to repeat the experience this summer.

Was this out in the Heber area? Drove through there last week (dropped off I40 at Holbrook, through Heber and Payson) on the way to and from Phoenix. Beautiful area. Jaw dropped at the beauty of the Mogollon Rim.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #358
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Was this out in the Heber area?
prescott.

Quote:
Drove through there last week (dropped off I40 at Holbrook, through Heber and Payson) on the way to and from Phoenix. Beautiful area. Jaw dropped at the beauty of the Mogollon Rim.
welcome to my state.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #359
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,798
I paid nothing last summer to camp 3 months outside Flagstaff in the Kaibab NF dispersed camping.
7200 ft. elevation, 10 miles west of Flag in the pines with internet access.
Nobody to bother me and plenty of great riding right outside my door.

Generator for power, at least 21 days before needing to take the RV into town to dump, get water, gas and propane.

Looking forward to returning.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #360
macgart
johnny mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
I paid nothing last summer to camp 3 months outside Flagstaff in the Kaibab NF dispersed camping.
7200 ft. elevation, 10 miles west of Flag in the pines with internet access.
Nobody to bother me and plenty of great riding right outside my door.

Generator for power, at least 21 days before needing to take the RV into town to dump, get water, gas and propane.

Looking forward to returning.
That area is gorgeous. Good for you. Great history as well.