ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #361
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!
 
alma1992's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Not where I wanna be!
Oddometer: 200
Enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
I paid nothing last summer to camp 3 months outside Flagstaff in the Kaibab NF dispersed camping.
7200 ft. elevation, 10 miles west of Flag in the pines with internet access.
Nobody to bother me and plenty of great riding right outside my door.

Generator for power, at least 21 days before needing to take the RV into town to dump, get water, gas and propane.

Looking forward to returning.
I just hope I get a chance to enjoy it myself before our politicians complete their poorly intentioned land-grab. I plan on "boondocking" in about 7 yrs. once my boys are out of the house. Who knows what will be left by then.
__________________
06 DRZ400S


"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #362
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b
 
Super Suz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: alrededor de la bahía
Oddometer: 1,556
Here's a link for a blog from fella that fits right in

I just read this blog and thought I would share the link (here) with the people who are enjoying this thread. The blog is from a woman (not fella) who wanders the USA and is employed as on online class professor.

I have some good news and some bad news to share on this thread. I'll tell you the good news first. The good news is that I get to keep my job for another year. And now the bad news. The bad news is that I get to keep my job for another year.

It's another year of saving and then I too may be out there as the queen of the best BLM real estate I can find. That or maybe learning an obscure language in a far off country.

Whatever my situation, it's been really enjoyable dreaming about a new and total lifestyle change by reading about the people who did it and the n00bs who also dream about it.

Keep posting if you've found some useful information or want to update us on going Ex-pat on the "cheap".

Thanks!
__________________
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 05:02 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #363
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder
 
ywr969's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
I just read this blog and thought I would share the link (here) with the people who are enjoying this thread. The blog is from a woman who wanders the USA and is employed as on online class professor.
yes, i've exchanged email with her. great lady. i even recommended a place for her to boondock, but she has to be relatively close to a cell signal for her air card to work, so i don't think she was able to use it, due to its remoteness.
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
2006 Triumph S3

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #364
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti
 
Cellar Yeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 166
I recently moved from Connecticut to San Diego because the cold weather was wreaking havoc on my auto immune disease. It was blow after blow after blow. Credit cards were piling up because I just couldn't work. For 22 years I dealt with the cold New England climate shaking the proverbial cage of my medical condition. It wasn't until I moved out of my moms house and started fending for myself that debt started piling up. I was living in a room less than 100 square feet with no kitchen because I couldn't afford a rent. I got invited out to San Diego to live with my sister and her husband until I could get on my feet.

I've always been interested in the idea of living in a van/camper/etc. but I never had the financial resources to get my plan off the ground. Right now I have nothing, no furniture, no big clunky material possessions, everything I have now is in the very room I sit in. Hardly much at all. My debts are paid off, and I have money on reserve. I have no wife, no kids, no anything to tie me down.

I can't guarantee my medical condition will remain so placid for long. So I've decided that now is the time I'm going to spring and go exploring for a while until I decided to either settle down, or my medical condition forces me back down. Thankfully I have a loving mother and a fantastic sister who have always taken me in when shit got bad, so I can take solace in the fact that if I get in trouble they will take me in until I recuperate and get back on the road, or settle into my own place.

There's a few hurdles I need to overcome. I need my license, both of them. I don't know how to drive. My test for my M2 motorcycle permit is next month. I am going to get a small 250cc bike to tool around on and run errands on until I take my motorcycle driving test ans get a full on license, and eventually take the driving portion to get a complete license. Between that time and early next year I'll also be enrolling in a driving school and paying a friend to let me drive an empty lot on the weekends. At that time, I'll get my license and bail.

I want to get a used class c that maybe needs some light work, and use that for my adventure. I can put a rack on the back to hold my bike to ferry me around if I need groceries or whatever. Maybe ad stronger pumps and a water filtration system to pull water from streams or lakes to stock up my tanks, maybe add a better battery bank, maybe add solar panels. I'm not making any ambitious plans. First step is a license, two wheels, then license and four wheels. I'll go from there.

Until then, it's save save save, research research research, learn learn learn.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #365
Dagsadoo
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 3
Thinking the same myself. My father just passed away and left me a small inheritance and likely I will be redundant in a year.
My plan, travel a year or two on a bike, then go to live in Thailand. After 50 I hear you can get a retirement visa, renewable yearly (Thailand). 48 at the mo and pension at 55, so looking at Thailand or maybe Sth Africa.
Bring on the redundancy, the sooner the better I say.
Dagsadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #366
Jeremy FL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cocoa Beach FL
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
I've always been interested in the idea of living in a van/camper/etc. but I never had the financial resources to get my plan off the ground.
I don't know if you have seen this website, http://cheaprvliving.com/ but its pretty much what you are suggesting. I have been thinking off and on about doing something like that for the past couple of years. I will probably pull the plug and go for it when/if I lose my job in october when the Space Shuttle stops flying.

I can see it now, tricked out camper van with the bike on the back, windsurf gear on the roof rack and the warm sands of baja. Almost makes me want my job to end to kick my ass in gear and actually do it.
Jeremy FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #367
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Getting to the San Diego/Baja area is on my Bucket List too, so I wish everyone who has a similar dream well. There used to be some very nice campgrounds in San Diego but they weren't cheap. On the other hand I used to see a fair number of folks who seemed to be obviously camped on the streets or in beachside parking lots so ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #368
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder
 
ywr969's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Oddometer: 658
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
I want to get a used class c that maybe needs some light work, and use that for my adventure. I can put a rack on the back to hold my bike to ferry me around if I need groceries or whatever.
oh, i see you've met jkam


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
Until then, it's save save save, research research research, learn learn learn.
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
2006 Triumph S3

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #369
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti
 
Cellar Yeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 166
One problem is I live in California. And registration/licensing/tax fees here are crazy high. I'd use another state but I plan on using my sisters address while I am floating.

One way around emissions is to get a diesel rig. I also plan on getting something older and under 10k so I hope that helps with the taxes and registration fees. If anyone has any info on small old RV registration in California I'd love to hear it.

I must seek out this jkam for advice...

Cellar Yeti screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 10:51 AM
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #370
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!
 
mpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Las Wages
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
I have some good news and some bad news to share on this thread.

The good news. I get another year to get my crap in order for the slim down.

The bad news is that I get another year to get my crap in order for the slim down.
Fix-d


Good to hear you will have more $$$ socked away when you Do get to live the "life".

__________________
Peace in your heart & Light on your soul.
>^..^<

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #371
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!
 
mpanther's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Las Wages
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti

Maybe ad stronger pumps and a water filtration system to pull water from streams or lakes to stock up my tanks, maybe add a better battery bank, maybe add solar panels.

Until then, it's save save save, research research research, learn learn learn.
Older small motorhomes can be very hard to find in Diesel.
What about a pickup and travel trailer or camper?
if you do the trailer route the bike can stay in the truck, and a nice small travel trailer can have better living space then most class C's.
(plus the regular truck is much easier to work on.)

For creak water, you might look into running a low volume pump that can handle debris, like a maceration pump. run that though a dual filter setup with a reusable screen filter first. then a replaceable filter second. runt he output from that into a reverse osmosis filter. the output from the osmosis filter can then be dumped straight into the main water tank. you do need to make sure the pump has enough psi for the osmosis filter to work.

don't count out the TW200 when looking for a good starter bike.

Best of luck with you goals!
__________________
Peace in your heart & Light on your soul.
>^..^<

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #372
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti
 
Cellar Yeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
Older small motorhomes can be very hard to find in Diesel.
What about a pickup and travel trailer or camper?
if you do the trailer route the bike can stay in the truck, and a nice small travel trailer can have better living space then most class C's.
(plus the regular truck is much easier to work on.)

For creak water, you might look into running a low volume pump that can handle debris, like a maceration pump. run that though a dual filter setup with a reusable screen filter first. then a replaceable filter second. runt he output from that into a reverse osmosis filter. the output from the osmosis filter can then be dumped straight into the main water tank. you do need to make sure the pump has enough psi for the osmosis filter to work.

don't count out the TW200 when looking for a good starter bike.

Best of luck with you goals!
Thanks. And yeah, diesel has it's pros and cons. But the main reason I want one is to get around emissions. If I am out east I don't want to have to drive 2000 miles to get my emissions done. I am kind of set on a motorhome. It's more compact so I can get into tighter spots. Plus if I went truck and travel trailer I'd have two things for California to stick me on.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #373
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
One problem is I live in California. And registration/licensing/tax fees here are crazy high. I'd use another state but I plan on using my sisters address while I am floating.

One way around emissions is to get a diesel rig. I also plan on getting something older and under 10k so I hope that helps with the taxes and registration fees. If anyone has any info on small old RV registration in California I'd love to hear it.

I must seek out this jkam for advice...

There are two large RV-oriented mail forwarding services that will also handle your vehicle registrations: Good Sam Club which operates out of Florida and Escapees which operates out of Texas. Both states are relatively low cost to register a vehicle.

Florida doesn't have any emissions standards or testing, and that seems to be one of your concerns.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #374
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti
 
Cellar Yeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
There are two large RV-oriented mail forwarding services that will also handle your vehicle registrations: Good Sam Club which operates out of Florida and Escapees which operates out of Texas. Both states are relatively low cost to register a vehicle.

Florida doesn't have any emissions standards or testing, and that seems to be one of your concerns.
I've read of those, but one additional concern is I need to keep an address here in California because this is where my medical insurance is out of. I've read it is illegal under domicile laws passed in the 1970s to curtail drug trafficking to register a vehicle out of the state you live in.

Cellar Yeti screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 11:32 AM
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #375
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
I've read of those, but one additional concern is I need to keep an address here in California because this is where my medical insurance is out of. I've read it is illegal under domicile laws passed in the 1970s to curtail drug trafficking to register a vehicle out of the state you live in.

That's a big can of worms. If you have insurance issues you might want to check into the details and see if your coverage is contingent on you residing in one place.

But RV'ers are a pretty fluid bunch. I've used Good Sam's services for about 2 years. Many folks are on the road so much that they have difficulty pinning down 'zactly where they live. Florida is pretty sympathetic to the plight of the "upscale homeless."
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014