Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #421
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos

But even though I ended up getting rid of most of my stuff, there were some things that I knew I wanted/needed to hang onto. So I bought a 40ft shipping container and made arrangements to store it on a large ranch near the place where I was living. Great alternative to monthly storage.
Great post. I like your rig.

I've also been thinking lately about being able to parse everything down to fit into a shipping container. There are some things that I don't want to get rid of, such as tools. Let's say I'm gone for a year or two, then return home to plan for another adventure. I don't want to re-invest money in things that I got rid of. So it would be good to always have the basics on hand for a household: minimal furniture, a bed, cookware. It would be great to fit all of this in a shipping container (maybe even a 20'?) and store it on a friend's property. It could then be loaded onto a truck and delivered to your next home.

Yes, one could always get rid of all that stuff and live on less, but for me, it is also good to have some sort of familiar 'home' to return to.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #422
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Thanks for all the compliments guys, but I don't want to clutter this thread with more chatter about my motorhome.

That's exactly the situation I was in rawdog (my shipping container is full of tools and all the things that I will need again eventually). Whenever I find a piece of property that I want to build on, I'm going to put a simple roof and end-walls between two 40ft shipping containers to make a temporary workshop. It's highly likely that I'll end up using more shipping containers to build my white-trash palace, but I plan on incorporating a lot of salvage/surplus building materials. I'd like to buy a few more shipping containers, so I could store building materials in them for now, and then use them as building materials later. Oh, and on the topic of repurposing things: the way I've built Mah Deuce, I'll be able to drop the box off the back of the truck and replace it with a regular 12ft pickup bed. That will give me a shop, shelter, and a truck to haul building materials. The Giving Tree made a lasting impact on me...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #423
Bear Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
...Whenever I find a piece of property that I want to build on, I'm going to put a simple roof and end-walls between two 40ft shipping containers to make a temporary workshop. It's highly likely that I'll end up using more shipping containers to build my white-trash palace, but I plan on incorporating a lot of salvage/surplus building materials. I'd like to buy a few more shipping containers, so I could store building materials in them for now, and then use them as building materials later. Oh, and on the topic of repurposing things: the way I've built Mah Deuce, I'll be able to drop the box off the back of the truck and replace it with a regular 12ft pickup bed. That will give me a shop, shelter, and a truck to haul building materials. The Giving Tree made a lasting impact on me...
Before you buy the property, check your zoning. Even some of the most out of the way places now have restrictions against the incorporation of shipping containers into a structure in that manner. If you do find such a place, you might want to get your roof up now so as to be grandfathered in in case the rules change while your gone.
Bear Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #424
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCurmudgeon
Before you buy the property, check your zoning. Even some of the most out of the way places now have restrictions against the incorporation of shipping containers into a structure in that manner. If you do find such a place, you might want to get your roof up now so as to be grandfathered in in case the rules change while your gone.
Thanks, I know exactly what you're talking about. Not going to build anywhere with any type of zoning restrictions like that.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #425
V8
_

Oddometer: 9,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Here is another idea for us cheap bastards:

Modified container home. Would be a perfect RV "Port." Just close those container doors/ side when you leave.

I like this idea.
I live in a apartment building (42 units,park across the street,surrounded by one and two family homes).So far so good.
When I moved in here last October I also was thinking of a Plan B incase I wanted out of here. Small camper was on my short list,but you can't park one here. I ended up buying a 4x4 Pickup with a tow package used at a very good price. I figured I could always put a slide in camper on it if I wanted to go to Plan B. So for now I have a pickup that can tow close to 10,000 lbs. and a DRZ400 for fun and commuting.I will be using both of these for camping and riding trips starting very soon.
I feel much more comfortable knowing that I have a Plan B.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #426
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I am always intrigued by shipping container homes. I've done a bunch of research and they can be as or more expensive to build than traditional construction.

Lately I feel that to live on the cheap stateside, it would be cheaper to do so in a fifth wheel than to construct a shipping container home.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #427
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog
I am always intrigued by shipping container homes. I've done a bunch of research and they can be as or more expensive to build than traditional construction.

Lately I feel that to live on the cheap stateside, it would be cheaper to do so in a fifth wheel than to construct a shipping container home.
I am looking into building a container "Cabin" on the family property up in Washington.

The advantage there is we only go up in the summer.
Lock the thing up and no leaks. Plus Very secure.
Not going to break in without power tools or a cutting torch.

ad路ven路ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #428
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Holy Schmoly! Jesus, that's some serious planning and design.

Off Grid and ready for the end of the world as we know it. Lots of people really respect that. The thing is, as you drive around out there, people are going to be so intrigued by your rig, you are going to get lots of visitors asking for a tour. I know I'd have a hard time keeping away and would be plenty nosey.

The water purification system has been tested and retested?

Wow.

Your planning and arranging is just amazing. Yeah. More details and tidbits, please.

Pics of the inside of that rig?

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #429
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

I'm really interested in multi fuel vehicles. Been doing some research on them lately but it seems they only come in military vehicles. I love the idea of the flexibility...

Rotapower the designed of a new revolutionary engine makes a multi fuel single piston engine that weighs 68lbs and creates 160 hp. How gnarly would it be if they beefed it up and made a 300-400 hp model?
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #430
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti

Rotapower the designed of a new revolutionary engine makes a multi fuel single piston engine that weighs 68lbs and creates 160 hp. How gnarly would it be if they beefed it up and made a 300-400 hp model?
Or just stuck it in a motorcycle.

ad路ven路ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike
Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #431
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Just found an E-zine dedicated to ex-pats.

http://escapeartist.com/

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #432
Bear Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
I'm really interested in multi fuel vehicles. Been doing some research on them lately but it seems they only come in military vehicles. I love the idea of the flexibility...

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come on the market. These appear to be the same people who have been working on the Moller Air Car for thirty years.

In software, it's called "vaporware".
Bear Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #433
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
Gas has some real advantages.

but as to the cost of diesel fuel. it is only about $0.20 a gal more average than regular and they get Much better mileage per gallon, in same/same applications.

Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Mexico ... something to factor in if you want to be an ex-pat or wanderer.

For other countries you might want to do your own research.

Personally, I'm a big fan of diesels especially for a motorhome application, but as the expression goes, your mileage may vary.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #434
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltmueller
Of course around here, there were some years where you could get russian shelters really cheap -
That was because the Soviet and Eastern Euro economies tanked and the former Warsaw Pact nations practically had a fire sale.

Don't be too surprised to see former US military items at fire sale prices in a few years.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #435
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCurmudgeon
Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come on the market. These appear to be the same people who have been working on the Moller Air Car for thirty years.

In software, it's called "vaporware".
Actually, they are doing there own thing.
but the guy with the Air car wants their engine pretty bad.
Just doesn't have the money to front the start-up costs of production.

I always wondered what a rotory motor with modern tech could do.

ad路ven路ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike