Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #466
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog
Yeti, you know what I think would be cool for you? A Ural. Seriously. Do a big long trip on a hack before you retire to the RV. That would be great.

Haha, sounds fun. But I don't know if I could swing that!
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #467
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Yeti
Bummer the Fuso FG only comes in diesel since I've already decided against it. Also, they are a bit more spendy. Looking at the prospect of going with a 4x4 flatbed truck and possibly putting a featherlite trailer on it.
I wouldn't drive anything larger than a Toyota pickup with a gas engine. Diesel's where it's at, especially when you're talking about motorhome-sized vehicles. The fuel consumption is a LOT better and a good diesel engine will last forever. What's the downside?
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #468
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
I wouldn't drive anything larger than a Toyota pickup with a gas engine. Diesel's where it's at, especially when you're talking about motorhome-sized vehicles. The fuel consumption is a LOT better and a good diesel engine will last forever. What's the downside?
Finding fuel in small towns. Cost of maintenance. Diesel mechanics are expensive. Or so I've heard.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #469
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 657
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
point, counter-point...
diesel is difficult to find in many rural places, such as baja. but don't take my word for it, ask around.
the longevity of a diesel engine makes a lot of sense... if you're circumnavigating the globe more than 10 times. otherwise, it's irrelevant, since a good gasoline truck engine should easily last 250k+ miles.
fuel consumption is also less important if you're not traveling that far.
you'll find a lot more people who can work on a gasoline engine than on a diesel one, especially in rural places, & parts will be more readily available for a gasoline engine, too.
just sayin'

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #470
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Fuel availability is something to consider I guess, but I've traveled all over the west coast and have never had trouble finding diesel. Better gas mileage and the larger tanks that you'll tend to find in diesel rigs equals greater range. As far as diesels being more expensive to work on, I would disagree. The diesel shops I know charge what I'd call average hourly rates (similar to other mechanics). Working on larger trucks (like my deuce and a half and buses and semi trucks) is going to be more expensive, but that's just the nature of working on larger stuff. I would argue that is should actually be cheaper and easier to maintain and operate a diesel. Of course, they do cost a little bit more up front, and they tend to hold value better.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #471
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

I guess I should state that I don't plan on going to Mexico. Just Canada, American mainland, and Alaska.

My biggest worry about diesel is not being able to find a diesel mechanic if I run into trouble who won't ream me on prices.

What's the feasibility of maintaining your own rig? Changing the oil, the filter, the glow plug, etc. for a novice like me? To cut down on cost, ya know?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #472
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Think about it like this: OTR trucks are the backbone of our economy. Without diesel, this country shuts down. It might not be available at every corner gas station, but it's not hard to find. At all.

As far as working on them goes, what kind of engines are we talking about? In what kind of vehicle? If you can work on a gas engine, you can work on a diesel engine. It's just an engine. The only thing that might get to be an issue is the size and weight of these engines if/when you need to actually pull one out of the vehicle. I've got a brand new engine for Mah Deuce and it weighs over 3000lbs in the crate! To be fair though, the crate accounts for more than half of that (1/4" plate). But if you're talking about something like a Cummins 6BT or a Duramax or Powerstroke, they're not THAT much bigger and heavier than comparable gas engines. A Cummins 6BT weighs about 900lbs and the most of the engine hoists you're likely to see in an average persons' shop or garage are rated for about 1000lbs.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #473
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
I guess I should state that I don't plan on going to Mexico. Just Canada, American mainland, and Alaska.

My biggest worry about diesel is not being able to find a diesel mechanic if I run into trouble who won't ream me on prices.

What's the feasibility of maintaining your own rig? Changing the oil, the filter, the glow plug, etc. for a novice like me? To cut down on cost, ya know?
For a guy who does as much research as yourself, the feasibility of doing your own maintenance (those items listed, plus much more) is very high. Ask somebody to show you the first time, and I think you will get it. It's best to be self-reliant, as we all know.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #474
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
An oil change is and oil change.

Most deisels do not need glow plugs changed unless they fail. not like a spark plug. but not really any harder to do.

Only when you get into bad injectors does it get a little more complicated, and they aren't That hard to change, but can be hard to figure out What injector to change. you pay the shop to tell you that part.

Whatever you get, I am sure you will be fine.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #475
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

I really want to go diesel. It would open up a lot of avenues for vehicles. I'm fairly certain I could perform regular maintenance on it.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #476
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

You really do want a diesel. Only reason not to get one is that they tend to cost a bit more than gas trucks and motorhomes. Totally worth it if you ask me.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #477
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

I really dig the Fuso FG route. But the baseline, even for used ones are way too steep for me. So the possibilities are, get a 4x4 van with a high top, or get a flatbed and stick a featherlite on it. Hm.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #478
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
I like the sprinter sportsmobiles. Out of my budget, but I thought I could my own when it came time to be mobile.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #479
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Bummer the Fuso FG only comes in diesel since I've already decided against it. Also, they are a bit more spendy. Looking at the prospect of going with a 4x4 flatbed truck and possibly putting a featherlite trailer on it.

Everyone has an opinion, but personally I'd tend to go towards diesel for an RV/truck of that weight. And the small Japanese diesels (Mitsubishi, Nissan UD, Isuzu, Hino, etc.) are among the most reliable and fuel efficient out there.

The Fuso FG is a pretty rare bird, but in the US market it's the only small Japanese truck available with 4 wheel drive.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #480
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

That's the charm of a diesel. For most engines there is little maintenance other than oil changes.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote