User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #481
Norml
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
In the Beginning....
It was great to read about ex-pat living in other countries, which is why I strted reading this thread. Now it appears to have been taken over by the discussion of living in campers, containers, what is required to service a diesel, etc. Can we get back on track?? What does it cost to live in other countries, what are the laws governing immigration, real estate, etc.
Just sayin'

or not at all.

Norml
Norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #482
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,310
I'm sure it will come back around, but I think the things we're discussing are very much on-topic. Living in The States vs. living abroad. Living in an RV vs. living in a house. These are the kinds of things that anybody interested in living on the CHEAP should be thinking about. What's your objection? Not exotic enough for you?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #483
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Oddometer: 166
I guess we'll see what happens in the next few months. My licensing test is next week. And I am signed up for two 6hr drivers ed courses, as well as a safety course. I'm still looking for someone to take my driving for a couple weekends. I'd like the experience, especially if I am starting off with a larger vehicle.

In the mean time. Research research.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #484
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml
In the Beginning....
It was great to read about ex-pat living in other countries, which is why I strted reading this thread. Now it appears to have been taken over by the discussion of living in campers, containers, what is required to service a diesel, etc. Can we get back on track?? What does it cost to live in other countries, what are the laws governing immigration, real estate, etc.
Just sayin'
I'm thinking of heading for Jamaica for cheap livin'. I've got a buddy that has a small resort property on Negril Beach on the western tip but the small towns and hills around Negril and Sav-La-Mar might be ideal places to hole up, live cheap, and be able to even grow some food. Don't need much down there where the weather is always warm. As long as you are not staying in some all inclusive resort I think the living is pretty cheap. Having a friend there who has been part of the culture for 20+ years will help, and help getting to know people and I know that my kids will come visit. One of my daughters went down there last summer to work with my buddy and now is a dyed-in-the-wool convert. And I like reggae.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #485
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
@Norml- Two people in this discussion are actively preparing to live on the cheap. Seems on track to me.

@Yeti- Good luck on your drivers course. This looks like a big step forward. Congrats. You better keep us updated the whole way through this project.

@munchmeister- Uhh... those pics... when can I visit???
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #486
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
I'm thinking of heading for Jamaica for cheap livin'.
But what kind of Riding do they have down there?

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #487
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltmueller
Maybe I'm obstinate, but I want to return to the "shelter" idea, because nobody ever mentioned it - maybe with good reason, or maybe they just are not common over there - here they are used quite often in expedition type trucks.
I post two links I've googled; don't know if those wouldn't make a nice cabin, too, $-wise to expensive may be, but the tranportability might be an advantage. They also have better structural integrity than a normal camper, if you want to venture from the road.
Just saw this one for sale.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #488
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

And I was WAY off on the weight of those things. Looks like the smaller S250 shelters are well under 1000lbs and the larger S280's are 1000-1400lbs. Here's a link to a thread about converting them into campers.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #489
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
But what kind of Riding do they have down there?
Hell, it's a third world country, man ! The roads have GOT to be challenging, especially in the interior. Lots of hills so the roads follow natural twists and turns. I'm thinking it would be a good thing for me to do after retiring down there, to bring a motocross race or something to Ja. Maybe a kind of enduro race from one coast to another. They'd love it and the partying at night after the race would be legendary. Good coffee too, for the morning hangover.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #490
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Good coffee too, for the morning hangover.

Man to my heart!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #491
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Oddometer: 166
My licensing exam is tomorrow. Pretty psyched. Still undecided on the vehicle I want. Kind thinking I want a vehicle that can become a non van dwelling vehicle if it doesn't go through or if things change.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #492
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Licensing for what again?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #493
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Good luck Yeti.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #494
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
In the Beginning....
Since laws and cost-of-living numbers vary greatly from country to country, I assume you are asking for specific info for specific countries. You may get some, but I hope you will take it with a grain of salt. Reading over (some) of the observations here lead me to believe that they are the experiences of those who have spent some time on the beach, etc., in tropical paradises but who did not stay there long enough to experience the full range of exigencies and contingencies. Anybody can live on fish tacos for a couple of weeks, but that ain't much of a life in the long run.

I'm going to be real harsh, here. If you are getting advice from someone who doesn't even speak the local language all you are getting is the tourist-eye view. Yes, it can be done for the long haul but only if you are a dedicated hippie or prepared to be a semi-derelict foreign curiosity hanging out on the fringes of somebody else's society.

In my younger day I spent four years in Thailand and Mexico teaching English, and I am still in contact with a few people who have chosen an expat existence as a full-time lifestyle. Most of them teach English, ALL speak the foreign language and have made an effort to integrate into local culture, and NONE just lay around drinking Corona or Singha -- which seems to be the hazy fantasy of many who responded here.

Why don't you search online for English-teaching opportunities in a place you'd like to see? Then you can go into a more-or-less predictable living situation while you decide if you like the expat lifestyle, can learn the language. etc.

And then picture yourself still there at the age of 65. I've seen a lot of those folks, and with a few exceptions it ain't pretty.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #495
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Since laws and cost-of-living numbers vary greatly from country to country, I assume you are asking for specific info for specific countries. You may get some, but I hope you will take it with a grain of salt. Reading over (some) of the observations here lead me to believe that they are the experiences of those who have spent some time on the beach, etc., in tropical paradises but who did not stay there long enough to experience the full range of exigencies and contingencies. Anybody can live on fish tacos for a couple of weeks, but that ain't much of a life in the long run.

I'm going to be real harsh, here. If you are getting advice from someone who doesn't even speak the local language all you are getting is the tourist-eye view. Yes, it can be done for the long haul but only if you are a dedicated hippie or prepared to be a semi-derelict foreign curiosity hanging out on the fringes of somebody else's society.

In my younger day I spent four years in Thailand and Mexico teaching English, and I am still in contact with a few people who have chosen an expat existence as a full-time lifestyle. Most of them teach English, ALL speak the foreign language and have made an effort to integrate into local culture, and NONE just lay around drinking Corona or Singha -- which seems to be the hazy fantasy of many who responded here.

Why don't you search online for English-teaching opportunities in a place you'd like to see? Then you can go into a more-or-less predictable living situation while you decide if you like the expat lifestyle, can learn the language. etc.

And then picture yourself still there at the age of 65. I've seen a lot of those folks, and with a few exceptions it ain't pretty.

I'd agree up to a point, but teaching English (at least in Mexico) doesn't pay well enough to buy decent beer.

So many of the successful migrants that come to the USA do so as entrepreneurs. I've seen a few gringos that took their entrepreneurial skills and/or businesses south and appear to have done well.

PS -

I'm still trying to figure out what's so unattractive about hangin' out on the beaches, drinkin', and riding your motorcycle at age 65. As long as you have a little bit of a pension ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote