Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #496
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB

I'm going to be real harsh, here. If you are getting advice from someone who doesn't even speak the local language all you are getting is the tourist-eye view. Yes, it can be done for the long haul but only if you are a dedicated hippie or prepared to be a semi-derelict foreign curiosity hanging out on the fringes of somebody else's society.

I may have posted this here before, but these are the lyrics to Jimmy Buffett's "Banana Republics." Pretty sobering, and pretty good observations:

Down to the Banana Republic
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated Americans
Hoping to find some fun

Some of them go for the sailn`
Called by the lure of the sea
Trying to find what is ailing
From living in the land of the free

Some of them are running from lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganga
Some are running from the IRS

And late at night you will find them
In the cheap hotels & bars
Hustling the senoritas while they dance beneath the stars

Spending those renegade pesos
On a bottle of rum & a lime
Singing, give me some words I can dance to
Or a melody that rhymes

First you learn the native customs
Soon a word of Spanish or two
But you know that you cannot trust them
Cause they know they can`t trust you

Expatriated Americans feeling so all alone
Telling themselves the same lies
That they told themselves back home

Down to the Banana Republic things aren`t as warm as they seem
When none of the natives are buying any second hand American dreams
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #497
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
I've been following this thread, the "full-time RV" thread, and the "is Mexico safe" thread. Seems like spending 2-3 winter months a year in an RV on the beach in Mexico makes the most sense. One of those threads had a link to an RV park with monthly rentals starting at around $350 USD.

How hard is it to get an RV full of motorcycles and toys across the border in both directions?
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #498
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
I've been following this thread, the "full-time RV" thread, and the "is Mexico safe" thread. Seems like spending 2-3 winter months a year in an RV on the beach in Mexico makes the most sense. One of those threads had a link to an RV park with monthly rentals starting at around $350 USD.

How hard is it to get an RV full of motorcycles and toys across the border in both directions?

Baja (both states) and Tamaulipas don't require vehicle importation permits. I'm not 100% sure what the story is in Sonora - I have heard that they have a "special" sticker and I have also heard that they don't have any requirements at all.

Currently you can get a 10 year permit for a motorhome and 1 attached (towed or trailered) vehicle gets a permit that matches your immigration paperwork, which is typically 6 months maximum.

Otherwise you are only supposed to have 1 vehicle in Mexico under an importation sticker at a time.

This assumes that all the vehicles are under your name. We have some of our vehicles listed under SWMBO'd's name and if she's present I can legally load "her" bike, for instance, in addition to mine.

Trailers used to carry a vehicle don't count under the importation permit system, incidentally. A house trailer is another animal and gets that 10 year permit.

On re-entry the US doesn't care as long as your vehicle doesn't come up on the list as a stolen vehicle (there are some stories there). They have told me here that they don't even care if your registration is current, but that's not to say that the local or state cops that are at some border crossing won't notice.

So long story short: You probably will have some issues getting multiple bikes into the Yucatan if they are all registered to one person. Baja, Tamaulipas, and Sonora are different stories and there are plenty of beaches in those states.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #499
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Oddometer: 166
Some things came up. I had to cancel my drivers appointment. Subsequently I've had to change my plans and push things back. Priorities need to be taken care of but I'll do it eventually.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #500
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Baja (both states) and Tamaulipas don't require vehicle importation permits. I'm not 100% sure what the story is in Sonora - I have heard that they have a "special" sticker and I have also heard that they don't have any requirements at all.

Currently you can get a 10 year permit for a motorhome and 1 attached (towed or trailered) vehicle gets a permit that matches your immigration paperwork, which is typically 6 months maximum.

Otherwise you are only supposed to have 1 vehicle in Mexico under an importation sticker at a time.

This assumes that all the vehicles are under your name. We have some of our vehicles listed under SWMBO'd's name and if she's present I can legally load "her" bike, for instance, in addition to mine.

Trailers used to carry a vehicle don't count under the importation permit system, incidentally. A house trailer is another animal and gets that 10 year permit.

On re-entry the US doesn't care as long as your vehicle doesn't come up on the list as a stolen vehicle (there are some stories there). They have told me here that they don't even care if your registration is current, but that's not to say that the local or state cops that are at some border crossing won't notice.

So long story short: You probably will have some issues getting multiple bikes into the Yucatan if they are all registered to one person. Baja, Tamaulipas, and Sonora are different stories and there are plenty of beaches in those states.
Thanks PJ. Great information! Are there places in Mexico to leave an RV or fifth wheel? Something like boat/RV storage here in the States?
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #501
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
Thanks PJ. Great information! Are there places in Mexico to leave an RV or fifth wheel? Something like boat/RV storage here in the States?

Oh, I'm sure there are, but it would potentially be somewhat informal. There are RV parks every so often (RV parks usually allow some element of storage) but RVing US style isn't a universal in Mexico.

Are you thinking about any particular area?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #502
jtreg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I did LA -> Alaska -> NYC -> London on a KZ1000p in fucking 2007 havn't got a job since. Not worth it mate. Fucking still cant sell the bike even now

its all been blogged

Waste of time don't bother
jtreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #503
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,152
Here's a link to RV parks/campgrounds in Mexico, to give an idea of costs.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #504
ride-n-the world
out of place adv rider

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreg
I did LA -> Alaska -> NYC -> London on a KZ1000p in fucking 2007 havn't got a job since. Not worth it mate. Fucking still cant sell the bike even now

its all been blogged

Waste of time don't bother

Got a link?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...128&pr=goog-sl
ride-n-the world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #505
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 598
Dropping Out

Dropping out is easy. It's the re-entry that's a bitch.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #506
slipperywhenwet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Here's a thought

Like many I too have thought about saying fuk it and dropping out and have enjoyed the comments on this thread. Personally I would find it hard to sell everything and just leave not to mention family and friends......but Traveling 8 to 9 months a year would be doable for me.

Here's a thought I've had which may help some, I live in a University town with many foreign students looking for accommodation for 8 to 9 months a year. My thought was to sell my home and buy a condo near the University, rent it fully furnished to students while I travel and return to my condo for the summers.

jesusgatos

Very cool
slipperywhenwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #507
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792
Dropping out is easy. It's the re-entry that's a bitch.
Absolutely.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #508
dengwynn
AT LARGE

Oddometer: 113
To succeed in this sort of thing, get rid of those things which will be a drain on your finances.
[Trucks, motorhomes and big boats impose their needs on you.] There is a saying "Man is a prisoner of his posessions. "
Go where you can be happy. Realize that in a third world country, you will not be living as you used to in the USA. As to working there, consider that the people there work long and hard for little and they may not appreciate competition from a foreigner. On the other hand, with money saved you can "coast" a long way as expenses can be low.
I lived outside of the USA for 17 years teaching for colleges that could not fill their needs locally. As part of that, I traveled frequently to new locations as rerquired by my employment. It is not a reasonable option as the entry requirement is a Ph D or two masters degrees.
On a more reasonable level is what was the Peace Corps. They accept people with diverse and useful skills willining to spend a 2 year period in poverty helping others.
Above all, don't do the drug thing. Not only does it give a sleazy impression of Americans to others but foreign prisons are really bad places to end up. There are really stupid americans spending long sentences in Mexican and Turkish prisons .
dennis
dengwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #509
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 598
Before You Go Expat

Before you go expat long term, do yourself a favor...Try it for a few weeks. Then ask yourself, "Would I still be happy here AFTER all your money is gone?"

One other thing to consider is here in America, we can buy our fun and entertainment. In 3rd World countries you have to create or bring it with you.

From breakfast time to mid day in a country where people travel hundreds of miles to look at a working 40 watt light bulb and have dreams of enjoying a warm coke, time passes slowly. Hours and days can seem like an eternity.

Ditto on the drug thing. You don't get no stinking phone calls and there most likely is no funding for your public defender. If you still have dreams of laying about all day doing nothing while smoking blunts the size of a loaf of Wonder Bread, perhaps you should watch a few episodes of "Locked Up Abroad" for a preview of what can happen.

From my own experience, I was approached by two police men way the hell and gone in Columbia. They came into the restaurant were I was having my rice and beans, laid their rifles on my table with the barrels pointing at me and made me the following proposition, "We see drugs everyday. We either take the bribes to look the other way or we get shot. What we need is a nice gringo like you to be our mule."

I thanked them for their generous offer and graciously declined after realizing who would go to jail, not if, but when the shit hit the fan. Would it be to two local cops or the gringo?

As for the Peace Corp thing, I did that too. It's not for everyone either.

x32792 screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 01:13 PM
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #510
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792

One other thing to consider is here in America, we can buy our fun and entertainment. In 3rd World countries you have to create or bring it with you.

From breakfast time to mid day in a country where people travel hundreds of miles to look at a working 40 watt light bulb and have dreams of enjoying a warm coke, time passes slowly. Hours and days can seem like an eternity.

Lots of different styles here. There are some stark tales ... and there are some awfully beautiful places out there.

I also question that buying fun argument. Maybe in really rural areas perhaps ...

Costa Esmeralda, a group of small towns along the coast between Tampico and Veracruz. Just one of many places that I have run across or heard about in Mexico where there are plenty of ex-pats that don't appear to be struggling: