Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #61
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
It's truly a a shame that expatriation has to be considered to enjoy our later (or current) years. Not too long ago, we could do all of these things in our own country and not have to worry about not making it. We grew up on the cheap with 10 kids and we never lacked for anything (not that we ever knew). Central and South America may be suitable for some but not all. Too much to see and do in the US but everything has to cost so darn much. .02.

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #62
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 657
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
Too much to see and do in the US but everything has to cost so darn much.
if one sits down & starts seeing where the money is going...
i'm betting that the majority of it is rent/mortgage. boondocking eliminates that expense.
everything else is relatively cheap in this country. sure, you can't go out to eat every night when you're on a tight budget, but so what?
even if you eat out, mickey D's has $1 cheeseburgers -- that's pretty cheap!

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #63
Monty Python
Banned

Oddometer: 79
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
It's truly a a shame that expatriation has to be considered to enjoy our later (or current) years. Not too long ago, we could do all of these things in our own country and not have to worry about not making it. We grew up on the cheap with 10 kids and we never lacked for anything (not that we ever knew). Central and South America may be suitable for some but not all. Too much to see and do in the US but everything has to cost so darn much. .02.

l'm a Brit ex-Pat who's been over here for 3+yrs due to my 'mericun wife not being able to stand the Brit weather anymore, & missing her folks.
From a European view, you guys are living cheap over here, you have the weather, the travel, the National Park System, etc;
OK, so South Merica is an option, but could you stand their culture for living a few $$$$;s cheaper every week?
Would you like to go to Europe & pay $6 a gallon for gas?($7+ in England)
$3 for a coffee with no re-fills! & exhorbitiant real estate prices?

You guys have got it pretty sweet over here, but l would encourage anyone with time on their hands to go & see the wonderful culture of Europe & see how much you'd need salary-wise to actually live there.

Just as a footnote; you can buy a nice 3bed house with a yard in Las Vegas right now for $150k, you can do a weekly shop for two people for less than $100 a week.(for this you need to know how to cook & not visit the local fatburger outlet twice a day!) & local taxes are prolly $3k a year, with utilities being around $200 a month, but there's 14% unemployment here at the moment, so that's not gonna work for most folks!
Monty Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #64
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
G'day ducnut.

This is a good one for cabins, lookout towers, interesting places to stay.
http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home

BLM site will give camping info for whatever state you're looking for. They have pay sites a well as a map of BLM lands where you can do dispersed camping, at least for AZ.
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html

The forest service in most locations will list some places that have dispersed camping. For example here is one for the Coconino Forest near Flagstaff, AZ.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec..._camping.shtml
Thank you for the links. They're saved.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #65
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Python
l'm a Brit ex-Pat who's been over here for 3+yrs due to my 'mericun wife not being able to stand the Brit weather anymore, & missing her folks.
From a European view, you guys are living cheap over here, you have the weather, the travel, the National Park System, etc;
Wasn't really complaining, just comparing how things were growing up. I love 'merica and all she has to offer. I guess I just long for "the good old days". I know, sounds corny. I appreciate your perpective view. Thanks. WFC

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #66
Murcielago
North of the Border

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugu64
Might be a bit younger then most of you guys (mid-20s), got laid off a while back and can't seem to find a "real job" again. Lost both my fiance, and job in the same week and have to get out of apartment jan 1. The plan is to rent a room for cheap, and take whatever 2-bit job I can make a buck at (coffeeshop/retail/anything) for 6months-year or so till I've got a small sum, and heading out west to find some public land to camp out on. Move when I feel like moving, and not worrying about anything but running out of beenie weenie. How much cash do I need to ride around for a few months+ and live out of a tent? and how much cheaper would it be to do this in mexico? (yo no hablo spanish)
Here's a couple of things to consider about Mexico. First, Gasoline costs about what it costs here. Pemex adjusts the price monthly to whatever the world/USA/market price is. So no real savings there.

I don't really know about camping, but you can find very cheap hotels/hostels/inns.

Food is a lot cheaper, especially street food. I personally avoid mayonnaise from street vendors as it spoils very fast, and is the ideal medium for bacteria. Your mileage will vary.

Drinks/bars/entertainment is a LOT cheaper. In fact, you can often hang out in the plazas and be entertained for free.

I'd definitely try to learn some Spanish. I'm pretty fluent, but wasn't always so. I have a small electronic translator, the Franklin BES 1850, which is fantastic. Don't buy a book; it takes forever to find the word you want. My BES-1850 was my best friend in Mexico for many years, to the point that my Mexican friends began to tease me about it. You can also buy cartridges for Italian/English, or French/English. I bought the Italian one, but it's not nearly as good as the Spanish.

In the bigger cities, there is demand for English tutors. I wouldn't try to get a job in a school, as they typically pay a pittance. But you might be able to find some private students. Craiglist now has sites for the larger cities in Mexico, though they do seem to be heavily used by expats. Still, for free it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Kim G
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #67
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Python

Just as a footnote; you can buy a nice 3bed house with a yard in Las Vegas right now for $150k, you can do a weekly shop for two people for less than $100 a week.(for this you need to know how to cook & not visit the local fatburger outlet twice a day!) & local taxes are prolly $3k a year, with utilities being around $200 a month, but there's 14% unemployment here at the moment, so that's not gonna work for most folks!
You down here in Lost Wages too?

Love the riding weather and being able to go out at 3am to get a steak & eggs for $4. but the job market does suck right now. but I am fixing that for me.

Would you like to meet up for a beer/coffee sometime?
I am down in the SW near Durango & Blue diamond

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #68
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Lebanon

How about Lebanon...
http://www.alloexpat.com/lebanon_expat_forum/

Or, am I stupid?

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #69
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
So where do you put your money when you become an expatriate? Keep in USA? You'd really have to look into the security and tax ramifications.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #70
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
So where do you put your money when you become an expatriate? Keep in USA? You'd really have to look into the security and tax ramifications.
If the cash is already in a US bank then leave it there. If you are earning enough money in a foreign country like Mexico then you can open an account there. I have friends that do this. One of them uses a Cayman Island account via Mexico...

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #71
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Lots of information here
Old 12-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #72
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Quote:

You put it in Etrade, buy a sat phone, and a little laptop, and study stock charts and do a little trading until about 10:30 am
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #73
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Part of the benefit of leaving the US would be to save on taxes. Reduce your taxes by 10-25% equals a a lot of money over time.

Name a place that has low taxes, cost of living, and sunny, warm undeveloped beaches. Panama? Costa Rica?

http://www.internationalliving.com/

If you just want to "drop out" for a few months or years squatting on public lands would be the way to go imho.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #74
Stonewall
The Wild

Oddometer: 1,806
Thumb Life On The Road

I'm working real hard on this Lots of good ideas here

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #75
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

But what about insurance?

OH! This thread is graced by the presence of Stonewall. Thanks for all you do with the White Mountain Research Ride. It was a blast and hope to do it again some time.

Stonewall, you already living the dream of on the move and free?

I'm really glad I started this thread. It may be a pipe dream, but it's helping me deal with my inevitable lay off in June (unless Arnold turns things around before then).

Wait, what if I find another job just like the one I have right away?

Oh the turmoil.

Suz