Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #751
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
This IS a great thread. You have to talk the wife into it. I met my wife while wandering around the world (in Japan) and she loves the idea.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #752
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466
I'll take post 752

That was my "serial number" in Military School

I have been laid off for a year now....living off the bike.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #753
ILikeToThump
I'll Ride Anything.......

Oddometer: 699
I feel a little drunk reading about the possibilities...

I just spent HOURS reading this thread. Seriously, the best one I have read in the 7 or so years I've been on this board. If nothing else, it gives us pause to think about "what if's" and "maybe's". Sometimes that's what you need.

Thank you all for spurring my brain cells to dream of something better (or at least different) than where I am today. I can retire later this year and it is easy to get caught up in the "keeping up with the Jones'" crap. The "Maybe I will work a few more years...blah...blah...blah" sh$t. Hell, I may not live another few years. Every day I ride a motorcycle among these idiot cagers it may be the last! Why not go enjoy life and an adventure before it's too late?

Fuk it, I'm in. I can retire the first of November. I will be looking for you guys soon after that!

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everybody!

Bucky in Albuquerque
"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "
Adrian Rogers, 1931
ILikeToThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #754
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Good Luck Bucky!

Ya Might want to look into a bunch of ebaying and Garage sales over the next 9 months. I know it would take me at Least that long to dump all the Extra stuff i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeToThump View Post

Fuk it, I'm in. I can retire the first of November. I will be looking for you guys soon after that!

BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everybody!

Bucky in Albuquerque

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #755
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeToThump View Post
Everybody I talked to for the decade or so before retirement said "If you roll up the numbers it NEVER PAYS to delay retirement" from say 60 to 65 just to get the bigger $$ retire check. 'Course those folk were also the ones who said "I should have done this at 50 !!"
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #756
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther View Post
Good Luck Bucky!

Ya Might want to look into a bunch of ebaying and Garage sales over the next 9 months. I know it would take me at Least that long to dump all the Extra stuff i have.
Good advice
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #757
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther View Post
Good Luck Bucky!

I got rid of 10+ years of crap in 3 weeks (realtor failed to tell me when the 30 day escrow started) via craigs list and Goodwill. Price it right and people will buy it. If no one buys it, donate it. Of course more time is better but it can be done quickly.

I have realized just how much crap I used to buy beacuse it was "on sale", thought I could use it some day or just looked cool. I still have stuff that is new in the box after 4-5 years.

One of the most important things I have learned living in Brazil (due to the 100%+ VAT tax) is how much useless crap I used to buy because I could.
I can still do everything I want and have a very comfortable lifestyle with 20-30% of the crap I had in the states.

Hopefully I do not start accumulating more useless crap when I go back.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #758
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Live in the barn!

There are more than a few people around who have set up living quarters in old and even new barns. The idea here is to get walls and a roof surrounding you and then once that is done, you can build small living quarters inside the barn away from prying eyes.If I were doing this,the quarters would be a yard barn [or two] with a roof and all.Then when the nosy neighbors show up,you are building these things for sale in your spare time... If you can find an old property with an old well,that would provide you with water at least good enough to wash and bathe in and of course flush a toilet. Your water does not even have to be piped in to the living quarters. Use a no-freeze yard hydrant to get the water inside the barn. You can simply dump water in the toilet tank for the next flush or go ahead and pipe it in to the "house " inside the building.
I have seen the Amish do all this and they do not even use electricity! A gas motor on a well pump hooked up to two huge pressure tanks and the water the family uses is supplied for the day with the pump only running for 5 minutes..The refrigerator runs off propane,and the washing machine runs with a gas motor. Lehman's hardware in Ohio has this stuff in a mail order catalog for you to check out. Of course if you want a motor home,it could still be parked in the barn and used for housing.
The donor lot for this project could be any old house that is not worth fixing up.I know of several in my county
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #759
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
First off, a disclaimer: I have not read this entire thread, so please forgive me if this is a 205. That said -
With the possible exception of tools, don't store your stuff, sell it.

I'll be 60 this May, and IMHO the single most important thing you can do to live cheaply, especially to live outside the US, is to take care of your health. This is the critical component.

Everyone disagrees about how much money is "enough", everybody agrees there's never enough Time.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #760
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Related to above.....if you are like me and live on meds to keep pain away etc...then there will never be enough money.....one of you needs to have health ins. to cover the costs of these little pills.
As for the barn idea, there is an old barn near me and I'm sure there is a guy living in it using his sheep as food heat etc.....the flock seems to dwindle down and build back up in the spring. You rarely see him and he is unkept, dirty as if water isn't important. There is no hydro going to barn any more either.
I'm not too sure I would do it...in a barn so to speak as barns do crumble under weather etc and are very expensive to keep standing if rot is already there.
But to each their own....I like the RV or truck idea personally.
Not sure I would choose a duece and a half either....why so much truck? You don't need such a rig do you? I was thinking good used moving van, older RV, one size up from a C chassis...?
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #761
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

I spent about six months getting ready to move out of my house, but only because that's how long it took me to get my motorhome to the point where I was ready to become homeless. Had the luxury of taking my time, and so made the most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
...I like the RV or truck idea personally.
Not sure I would choose a duece and a half either....why so much truck? You don't need such a rig do you? I was thinking good used moving van, older RV, one size up from a C chassis...?
'Need' is not the word I would use. If I didn't have four large dogs, I'd be living off my motorcycle. Could happily live out of my Tacoma, as least for a while. The truth is that I just building this beast because I can. Wanted to build something big enough that I'd be comfortable living in, and would be able to haul a trailer full of all my toys deep into the wilderness. I bought that deuce for $3,500 and I've spent a lot more turning it into a motorhome, but you can't even buy a decent 1-ton diesel pickup for that kind of money. If you don't want to build a custom motorhome, a BIG slide-in camper would fit nicely in the 12ft cargo bed that the regular deuces come with. Not suggesting that this is the best vehicle for anyone else to start with, it just suits my 'needs' almost perfectly.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #762
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I'm an old Jeep nut and have had a few exmilitary jeeps and a M37...so I do understand the liking of these trucks......My only thought was the expence to get the running gear in tip top shape in comparisn to a regular vehicle...if you what I mean.
What sort of mileage does the dues get? I have a 1952 Willys/Overland pick up that I stuffed an AMC 360 into for a street ride......I haven't driven it in almost 4 years now....it gets 10 MPG! Just another concern for me would be mileage....?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #763
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

So far I've rebuilt all three axles, done the brakes, replaced the transmission, the transfer-case, and I'm getting ready to install a brand new engine. It's going to be pretty darn near a brand new truck. Nothing broken, just wanted to start fresh. You would be surprised how inexpensive these things are to maintain. I'ver found that new parts don't cost any more than similar parts for other (smaller) trucks, and the deals you can find on surplus parts/trucks are just stupid. For example that brand new engine, still in the crate, only cost me $1500. Cheap insurance, as I'll keep the old engine in that crate as a spare.

Clipped this from the thread on pirate to answer your question re: fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
One of the coolest things about the M35A2 is that they have multi-fuel engines, so they can run on just about anything flammable. Literally ANYTHING. Diesel, gasoline, kerosene, white gas, used motor oil/automatic transmission fluid/hydraulic oil, veggie-oil, bio-diesel, etc. In the first year that I owned it, I put about 4,000 trouble-free miles on Mah Deuce and it's averaged about 8-10mpg, depending on the speed, load, and terrain. Not bad considering it weighs 16,000lbs empty, it's full-time six-wheel-drive, stands over 11ft tall, and is rolling on 43" tall off-road tires. But when you look at the Miles-Per-Dollar, it's fantastic!

So I had mixed feelings about replacing the engine, but these old engines don't make much power for their size and weight. Made the decision to yank it when I managed to find a brand new (factory-fresh rebuild) 5-ton multifuel engine. It's designated as an LDS465 (2.5-ton engine is called an LDT465). It's basically the same engine, but it's got a different cam profile, and oil-cooled pistons, and makes just a bit more power (about 200hp vs. 130hp). Honestly though, something like a Cummins 12-valve 6BT (the diesel engines that came in the older Dodge Ram trucks) would be a lot better choice for a vehicle like this. But I didn't want to give up the multifuel.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #764
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting...I have been reading the pirate thread too, excellent conversion too.! As someone has said either here or over there, I would be thinking of taking out one diff, that is if I weren't thinking off road that is. Plus figuring how to lighten it up, that is if that makes any difference to it's economy and performance. I know that anything built for the military is usually well over built, well at least in the past that is, don't know about the newer stuff. Would the newer trucks be run on multi fuel as well? That would give you options, well not you as you are well too far into it to choose another vehicle now, as to what truck to transplant one of those multi fuel engines into? I looked at the new cab-over smaller trucks a few years ago thinking that they would make a great camper......but....they will be many years down the line I would imagine before they came available....?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #765
Scribe
Bob

Oddometer: 6,570
I need to stop reading this thread right now. Stop. Must go to cubicle on Monday.