Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #766
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
My truck was first manufactured in 1963 as an A1 truck, and then was remanufactured in 1987 as an A2 truck. The newer A3 trucks are not multifuel. They use Cat engines. There are some advantages and disadvantages to the newer trucks, but personally I don't see the appeal. I have thought about dropping one of the axles, but for now I decided to just replace the old bias-ply tires with bigger modern radials. The larger diameter gives me a little bit more speed on the topend and they have twice the load rating so I was able to replace the dual tires on each of the rear axles with singles. That dropped a lot of weight and rolling resistance right there.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #767
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,806
Hey Jesusgatos.....could you post a pic of your truck up here for us???

I know I'd love to see it!

I've already started building my own version of the dually/5th wheel toyhauler combo...but with a twist!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #768
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Click his link to Pirate4x4 and see all his pics, it is a pretty short thread.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #769
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to turn this into a motorhome thread.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #770
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
Ex-pat living

I turned 40 last week and have been living the ex-pat life for nearly a decade now. I teach English at a university in Asia, make about $35,000 a year and have 5 months a year of vacation. My position was not easy to get, but there are many jobs throughout the world that are relatively easy to get and would provide you with a living income plus a bit more to travel on.

If you plan to do it for only a year or two and want adventure, I would suggest looking into China or Chile. Neither area pays that well, but most jobs will provide you with a place to live. Getting a bike in China might be difficult, but you could probably get your own down to Chile.

I recommend the ex-pat lifestyle highly. It's valuable to live as a minority for your perspective on the world and you'll end up with friends from all over the world, so when you travel, you're likely to have a place to stay and someone to show you around.
docjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #771
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
I did the same, teaching in Thailand and Tokyo for a while. Married a great Thai girl 21 years ago, my daughter is 18 now. It's been a great run. You can't beat the experience and the eye opening that world travel enables you to gain.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #772
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Talking

hey guys (and any Gals)

I just wanted to say, I consider this thread a great find. I have been planning since 2009, ready to go on my big big bike trip. Me and my fiance have been putting away, picked up all of our gear and we have a little bit more to get, but then we are self sufficient to the extent where I will just use what I was taught in the Marine corps, combined with my boy scout days, and a little bit of "hey honey, think I can pop that deer with the bow from here? no?"

But honestly, I am really excited about the prospect of the trip, want to hit all 48 connecting states, make the drive up to alaska as well (but for some reason they don't have an amphibious bike yet, so I can't ride to hawaii) and after that? Hell if I know immediately, but we eventually want to get into germany, and ride the EU, Russia, Morocco, Tunisia, And certainly want to hit Siberia! I have one of the Ural Gear-ups so I want to visit the Urals factory. We are *hoping* that I can find some stuff here and there when we hit the EU so we can really not have that financial worry.

Germany is where we want to try and become "established" insomuch as just having a Base of Operations there, but in the long run, all we want at this point, is to ride the world, and be together. This thread, and YOU guys, help me pick my spirits back up knowing that we can damn well do it too. I constantly hear:

"thats stupid, why would you throw your life away like that?" or "You will never make it, it's just not what smart people do, and nobody can really do it anyway" I have never understood why people try to $h!t all over anyone else dream, even though it has nothing to do with them.

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread, your input, and inspiring guys like me. I am 25, Fiance is 23 and we will certainly be proud to have the *ahem*huevos to get up (well I don't really want her growing any of *those* huevos) and experience the freedom of the road, and have our Gypsy/Nomad life once we are ready.

Also, when we do start our trip, I will always appreciate the area with good riding terrain, my "Blondi" gets hungry for good trails. Moving to DC in another month to get things started, and start putting away as much as we can and cutting all of our luxury crap out, and only 380 days away from the BIG trip.
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #773
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

It comes in cycles, you will ride and travel and see then after some time you will want to settle. Then after settling and gathering junk you will want to move again. We were all born nomads, the naysayers are bored and disgusted with their own situations. Read anything by Bruce Chatwin, especially the Songlines, and you will be even more inspired than you are today.

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #774
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Was reading through these pages (been trying to start at the beginning and work my way to the most recent, so much awesome info!) And I saw A beautiful Rig, THE Rig, the Jesusgatos rig for those of you in the conversation when he came around with his deuce and a half. I know what I am buying when our trips go into more rugged and hellish terrain. I was a little worried about how well we would camp in say, siberia around novermber. but I see the future now in this.

and Rasthomas: I will never ever ever be tied to one location for more than a year or 2 tops, if I can help it. I am young, have a good head on my shoulders, and I pride myself on holding my personal oath, and I swore I was gonna make a good life, a life where I can feel free and enjoy the world, not just what a president, or premier, or any leader tells me I should and should not enjoy.

Anyway I stopped listening when somebody said "I had better do this" when the Stripes, Smokies and shots stopped flying, and was replaced by Ties, Tedium, and Time-Wasting. If they don't got any stripes, they don't get to order me around.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #775
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Gosh, to be young and idealistic again! I traveled the world for years and am still doing it every chance I get.

Still Riff Raff
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #776
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
...And I saw A beautiful Rig, THE Rig, the Jesusgatos rig...
Ohhhstoppit, yer making me blush. haha. Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But try never to let become too much about the vehicle (or whatever). It's just a means to an end. And if you want to travel and see the world, I'd bet you'll end up going a lot further and seeing a lot more if you're not tied to any one 'thing'. Not trying to talk you out of anything - but I'm building this vehicle because it suits my needs. I'm intending on doing most of my traveling in this vehicle in North-America. Forgetting about the potential problems I might have if I were to take an ex-US military vehicle much further than that for just a second, there's another more practical thing to consider. Parts. Surplus military vehicles are plentiful here and so parts are dirt-cheap. Other places around the world, that's not always the case. As much as I love this beast, it wouldn't be my first choice for international travel. Would much rather be driving a Toyota pickup truck or something like that. Way more economical to operate, parts will be more widely available and less expensive, you would be able to go many more places (physically, talking about where you can't take larger vehicles), and wouldn't draw nearly as much unwanted attention. Just something to chew on.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #777
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Ohhhstoppit, yer making me blush. haha. Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But try never to let become too much about the vehicle (or whatever). It's just a means to an end. And if you want to travel and see the world, I'd bet you'll end up going a lot further and seeing a lot more if you're not tied to any one 'thing'. Not trying to talk you out of anything - but I'm building this vehicle because it suits my needs. I'm intending on doing most of my traveling in this vehicle in North-America. Forgetting about the potential problems I might have if I were to take an ex-US military vehicle much further than that for just a second, there's another more practical thing to consider. Parts. Surplus military vehicles are plentiful here and so parts are dirt-cheap. Other places around the world, that's not always the case. As much as I love this beast, it wouldn't be my first choice for international travel. Would much rather be driving a Toyota pickup truck or something like that. Way more economical to operate, parts will be more widely available and less expensive, you would be able to go many more places (physically, talking about where you can't take larger vehicles), and wouldn't draw nearly as much unwanted attention. Just something to chew on.

Well, I can see it being rather......intimidating to be working a border office, and see a giant deuce roll up on your station. But I had thought about the parts situation, and I figure if I am using the Urals for my main travel and the Deuce as my mobile CIC then, I can easily carry a trailer to carry a surplus of stored and indexed parts. That way I know what I am getting low on, and what i need to replace and what I have in surplus. One thing that was suggested by a good friend of mine, John Myers (if any of yall don't know him, he's the guy who has uprooted when he was 17 from cali, and has been riding for the last 30 years, hasn't stopped in one place for more than a month or two at a time) I can also be in a nice position with the parts convoy there. If I learn my way around engines and auto repair, be they cycle, god-truck like the deuce or simple mini-van-esque cage, I can do mobile repairs as well, providing a mobile simple service and the parts I have (or pick up in my travels) in surplus, I can sell for profit as I travel.

He did something similar when he was younger, just picked up a cheap car in one part of a country and then when he hit the border, he would sell it off by stripping and repairing the parts, and make a nice profit to cover his mobile expenses and supply him with money to pickup the next car to repeat the process.

While this sounds awesome dream-wise, making it a reality is a lot different I know, but I am looking at every angle possible to make it work. also Jesusgatos, do you get required to hit weigh-stations with your deuce? Just an idle thought, I honestly don't know, and I may have lots of questions, if thats okay?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #778
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
...As much as I love this beast, it wouldn't be my first choice for international travel. Would much rather be driving a Toyota pickup truck or something like that. Way more economical to operate, parts will be more widely available and less expensive, you would be able to go many more places (physically, talking about where you can't take larger vehicles), and wouldn't draw nearly as much unwanted attention. Just something to chew on.
I saw this German Toyota Troopcarrier just off the ferry from Melbourne in Tasmania a couple of weeks ago. The site is all in German, but there's a babelfish link there on the front page.

I noticed the "LEFT HAND DRIVE" sign on the back, otherwise it didn't really stand out from the Australian registered Troopy he was travelling with. Parts for a Toyota are simply not a problem here, with the possible exception of a left hand drive steering box...
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #779
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Wasn't worried about intimidating boder patrol guards (haha) as much as the unwanted attention/interest/suspicion, which leads to questions and searches. Been through this with our Baja trucks and even carrying surfboards made the border crossings take a lot longer. All just a matter of perception.

Gotta be realistic about what kind of spare parts you can carry too. Sure, there are things you can plan for. But it's easy to get to the point where you're so burdened by all the stuff that you're carrying 'just in case' that you're missing the whole point. Not going to take a spare engine with you, so what do you do when it throws a rod threw the block in the middle of nowhere? Fix it? Leave it? Might be forced to make some really hard decisions.

I'm going to be pulling a small (10ft) trailer full of my bikes and other toys, but it will also be outfitted as a pretty well-equipped mobile workshop. I'm not a mechanic, more of a fabricator/builder. Will have an extensive set of basic tools, along with welders, grinders, drills, tubing benders, notchers, etc. I'm a designer by trade and that's the type of work I'd most like to continue taking in, but hope I'll be able to feed myself and my dogs by having a range of tools and skills that will make me more employable in a wider range of situations. I'm only 32 years old and can't afford to stop working.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #780
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Quote:
Wasn't worried about intimidating boder patrol guards (haha) as much as the unwanted attention/interest/suspicion, which leads to questions and searches. Been through this with our Baja trucks and even carrying surfboards made the border crossings take a lot longer. All just a matter of perception.

Gotta be realistic about what kind of spare parts you can carry too. Sure, there are things you can plan for. But it's easy to get to the point where you're so burdened by all the stuff that you're carrying 'just in case' that you're missing the whole point. Not going to take a spare engine with you, so what do you do when it throws a rod threw the block in the middle of nowhere? Fix it? Leave it? Might be forced to make some really hard decisions.

I'm going to be pulling a small (10ft) trailer full of my bikes and other toys, but it will also be outfitted as a pretty well-equipped mobile workshop. I'm not a mechanic, more of a fabricator/builder. Will have an extensive set of basic tools, along with welders, grinders, drills, tubing benders, notchers, etc. I'm a designer by trade and that's the type of work I'd most like to continue taking in, but hope I'll be able to feed myself and my dogs by having a range of tools and skills that will make me more employable in a wider range of situations. I'm only 32 years old and can't afford to stop working.

good point, good point. I want to bring a dog and a girl, and just have the trip. But I see your point, you realistically cannot plan for everything. So, lets take what i got:

1 - WWII Sidecar Bike
1 - Dr. Fiance
1 - History of fixing Computers and Programming
1 - Dog.....soon

I have quite the amount of stuff for camping, but I get bogged down with worries of gotten robbed, breaking stuff, and at least a little comfort (I.E. Carry and hunt food, a place for that food to land in, after its done being digested, and a place/laptop to run the blog/ridesite for the trip.) I want to do it on the cheap, I have got good gear, and have good training to use the gear. but I just want to make the trip fun for both me, and my fiance. An adventure, not a regret. So, I wonder how we will do it after the states really.

Also, I really liked your security options. my security option is either my Snake Slayer, or my MP 9mm, and neither one of those options are easy to explain or timely even if you have to use them, which I only would in the direst of emergencies (i.e. somebody seriously attacks my lady, I will become the shadow of death) I know that I might sound a little too extreme, but I have been through a lot of crap in life, and seen the horrible things people can do to one another, in my time with the Corps, and in my time working some rough stuff up in DC and NY.

I just want to make a new life on the road, existed in harder and rougher situations than these in the past for months and months ( and my buddies have had to eat .....questionable meat that had been sitting for a while, because we couldn't get anything else, and we were still 20 miles from civilization in freezing cold temps)

So now that you have the story and heard my worries, please good men and women who have been studying researching, and more importantly doing this going on a while now, please impart your wisdom via suggestions

always helps to hear the voice of the experienced, I may have planned and thought of a lot, but someone can always turn it on its head and find the loose seal.