Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #781
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
always helps to hear the voice of the experienced, I may have planned and thought of a lot, but someone can always turn it on its head and find the loose seal.

Hahaha...good quote!

Well...Id hafta say (coming form someone who has traveled ALOT)...that the only thing I'd suggest is trying to live in the manner you've described for us, fo a year or so right here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. You'll get alotta practical know how on traveling on the cheap...plus you won't have the language barriers, currency exchanges...etc. Also, if you do encounter a problem, breakdown, whatever...help is a phone call away.

Also....you may find that not too many countries will like that 9MM!!

take me with yas!!!!! "roof!!"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #782
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Well...Id hafta say (coming form someone who has traveled ALOT)...that the only thing I'd suggest is trying to live in the manner you've described for us, fo a year or so right here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. You'll get alotta practical know how on traveling on the cheap...plus you won't have the language barriers, currency exchanges...etc. Also, if you do encounter a problem, breakdown, whatever...help is a phone call away.
Great advice.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #783
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
my security option is either my Snake Slayer, or my MP 9mm
If you are going to carry a weapon while traveling, please be considerate to the consular officer you will be allowed to contact after your arrest. I can tell you from personal experience that it's no fun to get a 3:00 AM phone call from some moron US citizen exercising his Vienna Convention rights to contact his embassy and asking plaintively, "Hey, man, can you get me out of here?" Well, no...and since there's nothing the consular officer can do anyway except notify your family it can wait until morning, can't it?

But rest assured that after conviction and incarceration the consular official will see that you are treated properly, which under international treaty means NO WORSE than incarcerated nationals of that country. That should be a comfort to you, and also to your girlfriend over in the women's penitentiary. I'll bet she'll have some colorful stories to tell you when/if either of you get out. But then again she may get lucky -- I've known cases where the female member of the traveling pair was able to "bargain" her way out of trouble. Sadly, you are not equipped for that kind of negotiation with the local constabulary, even though your fellow prisoners may find you irresistable.

Have fun!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #784
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Wicked .....but but but... I'm allowed in America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you are going to carry a weapon while traveling, please be considerate to the consular officer you will be allowed to contact after your arrest. I can tell you from personal experience that it's no fun to get a 3:00 AM phone call from some moron US citizen exercising his Vienna Convention rights to contact his embassy and asking plaintively, "Hey, man, can you get me out of here?" Well, no...and since there's nothing the consular officer can do anyway except notify your family it can wait until morning, can't it?

But rest assured that after conviction and incarceration the consular official will see that you are treated properly, which under international treaty means NO WORSE than incarcerated nationals of that country. That should be a comfort to you, and also to your girlfriend over in the women's penitentiary. I'll bet she'll have some colorful stories to tell you when/if either of you get out. But then again she may get lucky -- I've known cases where the female member of the traveling pair was able to "bargain" her way out of trouble. Sadly, you are not equipped for that kind of negotiation with the local constabulary, even though your fellow prisoners may find you irresistable.

Have fun!
Ahha, good times all around!

Let's hope the learning curve isn't that steep for our young grasshopper!

/got shaken down for $10 bucks over a machete in Mexico... a machete.
It's like the national firearm down there!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #785
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post

Have fun!
1. When Did I say that I was going to take weapon out of country? I understand this may have been murky but I thought it was at least semi-clear and didn't have to be explicitly spelled out.

2. Did you not understand what I just explained about not wanting to carry those weapons to begin with, therefor I was looking for an alternative security option? I had just explained I like the rig that JesusGatos had built because of the closed security it offered, so I wouldn't have to even look into Gun laws because I wouldn't feel the need to carry one. I have been in a situation where I was in a....let's call it a very hot and sandy unsafe area, disarmed and under fire, it's not fun. I will not be in a situation where I have no weapon, and have no nearby safe zone again. If we have at least a minimum of security around us, then I do not need a firearm.

3. I am trying to seek advice and suggestions, you implying I am a moron, and insinuating that myself and my fiance are too stupid to check laws before we go somewhere, or that she whore's her way out of problems, not really appreciated.

I am not trying to burn any bridges by starting a text fight or anything of that nature, I understand you have been doing this a lot longer than me, so you have seen people who do not know what they are doing, or being idiots. But, I am on here seeking that advice so I do not make those mistakes, and can learn from people who know what they are doing, so I am probably not that stupid.

I realise it's hard for people to think us Jarheads got us them inteelijents, but point in fact, we actually do know how to pour piss out of a boot. so let's call this even, Clean slate and try again, without the need for insults, or anything of that foolishness. Deal?

I don't want to even bring much of anything on our trip, I want to start fresh with my fiance. No weapons, no fighting, none of that stuff anymore, just a new life and meet some good people in a new place.
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #786
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
3. I am trying to seek advice and suggestions, you implying I am a moron, and insinuating that myself and my fiance are too stupid to check laws before we go somewhere, or that she whore's her way out of problems, not really appreciated.
Defensive much Nancy? It DID sound like you were thinking of taking a firearm. His reply just outlined what HAS happened to folks that he has 1st person knowledge of and not that you are a dumb*ss (some of us might be rethinking our opinions now however) or your g-friend is a punta... and no one said anything about Marines/military... that's your self esteem issue.... but thanks for serving and covering our *sses Hefe!

/the internets, not for the easily offended.....
//papers for pooch might be needed, but doable.
///also check out Expat websites, much info to be found there
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #787
Kyazak
Gamera!!

It's cool. Got good knowledge from here to begin with. I just tried to make a contribution with some questions and thoughts of my own. Realize now that my friend had a point, just go and be gone when you want to for your trip, things will fall into place. Regardless, I will take your advice to heart. I will check out the other forums.

do have to say though:

That should be a comfort to you, and also to your girlfriend over in the women's penitentiary. I'll bet she'll have some colorful stories to tell you when/if either of you get out. But then again she may get lucky -- I've known cases where the female member of the traveling pair was able to "bargain" her way out of trouble.

the use of the words "Your girlfriend" and "you" seemed pretty specific and insulting/"haha, enjoy the thought of you/your girlfriend getting raped and/or banged by foreign police" to me, when quoting my post, not so much a "general observation", but I get it, you guys have been talking to each other for a while and have kinda just lined up your collective views, and understand each others idiosyncrasies. I am not up for having to explain my words when it becomes problematic for me to do so or I get insulted when I do. Won't bother your group again, enjoy your rides and travels, guys, I am gonna go enjoy mine!

Kyazak screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 11:26 AM
Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #788
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
I am not up for having to explain my words when it becomes problematic for me to do so or I get insulted when I do. Won't bother your group again, enjoy your rides and travels, guys, I am gonna go enjoy mine!

Son.................................relax!

Your getting way too serious. Some sound advice was given...that's all.

How you take that advice and use it (or not use it) is your own deal. No need to go stomping off in a temper tantrum...we're just considering your best interests.

If you get this wound up over some simple advice given on an internet forum...how are you gonna react when some dirty, sweaty, bad-breathed, underpaid, pissed-off soldier from a country that's foreign to you has a gun on your chest, and you have a young wife/fiance' and a dog looking to you for strength, guidance, and protection?

We just want you to be aware of the VERY REAL DANGERS that lurk out there. (Not everyone LOVES Americans these days!)...OK?????

We'd love nothing more than to get reports of beautiful sunsets, exotic drinks, tropical places, and of hopes and dreams being fulfilled!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #789
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 510
Kyazak, since my attempt at humorous treatment of a serious matter seems offensive to you I'll try again.

Any mention of any weapon for personal security indicates to me that you are approaching the entire project with a defensive attitude, and with the anticipation that you will have some kind of unpleasant encounter where weaponry is needed. Well, if you look for trouble hard enough you will no doubt find it, but it seems to me a piss-poor attitude going in. Vast numbers of Americans travel abroad every year without incident, but they tend to be the ones that do not wear their hostility on their sleeves.

Your repeated mention of having been a Marine creates the suspicion that you are fixated on some kind of macho image for yourself. I'm a Vietnam veteran and one of my sons did a hitch in the Marines, but neither of us feel compelled to mention it in every other sentence.

My advice: drop the attitude, and stop worrying about weaponry. There will always be people out there badder than you and better armed than you. Your best defense is common sense about where you go and who you deal with, and a positive, non-threatening demeanor.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #790
Kyazak
Gamera!!

I am just not used to people being nice, or helpful. I understand, I overreacted. I am willing to walk away and accept that I made those mistakes, call it what you will, the arrogance of youth, the macho image, what have you. I try to be a big enough man to admit when I made a mistake.

I am paranoid, yes, and I worry, because my fiance is more important than I am to me. Thats why I was making the point and I understand no-one understood what I meant before with what i was saying. suffice it to say, I messed up.

I do not take criticism well, I admit that. I am not good at joking with people because I usually have a natural distrust of most people. Its easier when I know the person for a long while or something similar. Maybe a bad mindset, but thats just how I am. I talk about the marines a lot because if it wasn't for my time with them, I wouldn't be the man I am today, I would still be a stupid child.

I guess text does not translate well for subtle joking and other things of that nature, I did not take it well, and yes, I am always defensive. I apologise.

now, with that out of the way, I would like to learn more of what I can so that I can make the trip better. But please, make the ribbing just a little lighter.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #791
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
A smile is the most important thing you can take with you to a different country...even when you are being fucked with or shaken down.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #792
ILikeToThump
I'll Ride Anything.......

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther View Post
Good Luck Bucky!

Ya Might want to look into a bunch of ebaying and Garage sales over the next 9 months. I know it would take me at Least that long to dump all the Extra stuff i have.
Yea, I've been selling all my extra motorcycle stuff here on the boards for a while. I have a few ads on craigslist most of the time just trying to lighten the load. I have so much crap I don't know if I can totally take me and all my possessions out of the country (or out in the country if you will). It's truly amazing the amount of stuff we accumulate!

I had beating around the idea of buying a second place in the mountains for years and I am REALLY glad I didn't do that. I would have twice the crap to get rid of!

Everyone have a good weekend!

Bucky
"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "
Adrian Rogers, 1931
ILikeToThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #793
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
What I know now

Kyazak, good luck on your trip. +1 on the common sense method. You can usually avoid trouble by a bit of planning. If all else fails, have you considered self defense batons or bear/pepper spray?

I am preparing for a nomadic life once my boys are out of the house(7 more yrs.). I'll be in my mid 40's and single. It's a huge part of my daily motivation. Thinking back to all of the wasted money, time and energy on unnecessary "stuff" is mind boggling. Keep it simple and enjoy the little things and I don't believe you'll regret your decision.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #794
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992 View Post
Kyazak, good luck on your trip. +1 on the common sense method. You can usually avoid trouble by a bit of planning. If all else fails, have you considered self defense batons or bear/pepper spray?

I am preparing for a nomadic life once my boys are out of the house(7 more yrs.). I'll be in my mid 40's and single. It's a huge part of my daily motivation. Thinking back to all of the wasted money, time and energy on unnecessary "stuff" is mind boggling. Keep it simple and enjoy the little things and I don't believe you'll regret your decision.
K Keep
I It
S Simple
S Stupid
I keep reminding myself this.Good luck to the OP
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #795
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Related to above.....if you are like me and live on meds to keep pain away etc...then there will never be enough money.....one of you needs to have health ins. to cover the costs of these little pills.
There is that problem. I guess it depends on your age, income, savings and health insurance provisions. I am now self-employed and my COBRA runs out in about 2 months so I need to find some private insurance. I am getting to old to not have the insurance - I sometimes did that when I was younger but it isn't worth the risk now.

Quote:
As for the barn idea, there is an old barn near me and I'm sure there is a guy living in it using his sheep as food heat etc.....the flock seems to dwindle down and build back up in the spring. You rarely see him and he is unkept, dirty as if water isn't important. There is no hydro going to barn any more either.
I'm not too sure I would do it...in a barn so to speak as barns do crumble under weather etc and are very expensive to keep standing if rot is already there.
Being in an RV in a barn would be okay, but not optimal. Living in the barn itself is not very good at all. I've been inside a lot of barns having grown up on a farm in farming country, and they are dusty and dirty, usually mice and birds get into them and everything inside is eventually covered with bird crap and dust. It is preferable to having an RV in the open weather though - as long as the barn isn't crumbling around you. Depends on the barn.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote