ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #826
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!
 
alma1992's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Not where I wanna be!
Oddometer: 200
TigerLilly

There is an article from a female's perspective in the first ever issue of Outrider Journal(Spring 2011) you may find interesting. It is a top quality magazine as well with other great topics.

http://www.outriderjournal.com/
__________________
06 DRZ400S


"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #827
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,323
HERE HERE! Great mag- highly recommended!
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #828
Firestorm
.
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Between the Ocean and Mountains
Oddometer: 5,221
Found this guy's tour of his RV, looks pretty nice.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #829
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
booniebasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Me? CA coastline, between SLO and Santa Barbara, most likely. Anywhere/everywhere between Hwy 1 and 101. That's about as far south as I want to go, until I get down to Baja. I'll be spending most of my time in The States for the next few years though. Mostly because I need to work. Spring/summer/fall up in the PNW (NOR-CAL, OR, WA, ID). That's about the extent of my 'planning' though...
is there anywhere cheap to park a rv there ? or any coast in cali ?
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #830
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
is there anywhere cheap to park a rv there ? or any coast in cali ?
Guess that all depends on what you're driving and where you want to be. There are a lot of places out in the Santa Ynez mountains, and places like that, where I don't think anybody will bother me. In most urban/suburban areas, there is usually at least a few motorhome gypsies parked somewhere. Not really trying to bro-down with the hobos under the freeway overpass though. Would rather just move around as needed. If I'm going to be somewhere for an extended period of time, guess I might look into renting a bit of land, but don't want to spend any time in RV parks or campgrounds if I can avoid it.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #831
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Guess that all depends on what you're driving and where you want to be. There are a lot of places out in the Santa Ynez mountains, and places like that, where I don't think anybody will bother me. In most urban/suburban areas, there is usually at least a few motorhome gypsies parked somewhere. Not really trying to bro-down with the hobos under the freeway overpass though. Would rather just move around as needed. If I'm going to be somewhere for an extended period of time, guess I might look into renting a bit of land, but don't want to spend any time in RV parks or campgrounds if I can avoid it.


When I rode my 50CC across the USA we were advised to avoid Dog Beach in San Diego. In hindsight that looks to me like an hippy/RV colony ... my kind of people.

Likewise, I stayed in a Hyatt or Hilton (forget which) in San Diego and I was surprised with the number of RV'ers that were parked on the street in that area.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #832
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
When I rode my 50CC across the USA we were advised to avoid Dog Beach in San Diego. In hindsight that looks to me like an hippy/RV colony ... my kind of people.

Likewise, I stayed in a Hyatt or Hilton (forget which) in San Diego and I was surprised with the number of RV'ers that were parked on the street in that area.

+1 there are tons of people living on the street in S.D.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #833
tankara fishing
tierra encantada
 
tankara fishing's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 97
Hi TigerLilly... I've ridden alone into Mexico. Have you read "Lois On The Loose"?
Jill (also in NM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
Very interesting thread folks. I am a female, single, in my late 40's. I have been mulling over the prospect of downsizing and doing the RV thing for a few years now. Winter in Baja and summer in Canada (BC) and Colorado. I can fix just about anything and the prospect of maintaining bikes and an RV is no big deal. I'm already an ex-pat having moved to the US from Canada 15 years ago.

What I am cautious about is the idea of doing this as a female alone. I've travelled a lot on my own particularly on the bike but I'm wondering if any folks here have had any experience as a single female traveller in Baja, South America, or Central America. Or if you know of women who have done this...

Whenever I mention this idea to friends and family they look at me like I just sprouted a third eyeball in the middle of my forehead.
tankara fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #834
Firestorm
.
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Between the Ocean and Mountains
Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
is there anywhere cheap to park a rv there ? or any coast in cali ?
When I was younger, I used to take road trips to California and my friends I would park at night after it was dark ether at a scenic view point or in a dark culdesac infront of someone's house but still on the street, like next to the crub to catch a few ZZzzz's then we'd leave when the sun would start coming up. But this was always in a Car or small van. No problems doing this. For an RV, probably Wal-Mart, Hospitals or business with lots of Vehicles in the parking lot, but toward the back, I'd think.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #835
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
When I was younger, I used to take road trips to California and my friends I would park at night after it was dark ether at a scenic view point or in a dark culdesac infront of someone's house but still on the street, like next to the crub to catch a few ZZzzz's then we'd leave when the sun would start coming up. But this was always in a Car or small van. No problems doing this. For an RV, probably Wal-Mart, Hospitals or business with lots of Vehicles in the parking lot, but toward the back, I'd think.
Wal-Mart and Cabella's actually encourage it. Cabella's even provides a dump out and potible water at many locations. The one in Wa even has a freakin corral if you want to exercise your horses!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #836
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
booniebasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
Not laid off but injured and unwilling to play the whole insurance rip off game that occurs in Canada following a work place injury. A top work place compensation lawyer informed me that since I had very clear cut case and resultant injury my claim would be easily settled in the shortest amount of time - 5 years! Five years of stress, worry, and lawyers; no thanks you.

So we packed up and headed to Thailand seeking warm climates. Yes it's not that cheap, but it is cheaper and it really depends on what you make of it. Locals get by regularly on $200 US a month. All depends on how you want to live; motorcycle tour the country side at $15 us a day or $150, both can be done nicely. Yes the roads are incredible, and if you get board of the vast selection of local routes you ride the short distance to a neighboring country for a taste of something different. Visa are easier than they were, and with recent strife they will only continue to get simpler and cheaper to obtain. And heck, people stay for years with toursit visa, travel for extensions is just part of the pleasure of live here; not to mention traveling to Cambodia to renew the plates on a expensive import bike, what fun.

Do you want; a mansion with staff and a Harley and a litre super sport in the garage, or a shack and a step through?

Huge fan of motorcycle fly fishing in the Northwest, but haven't met a single other person yet interested in both together. Headed out tomorrow at 6 am ride and fish!



Fish caught this weekend, brought our Kayaks but did better casting from shore!


PS - looking for people to bike fish with!
great news, thanks for sharing. stay safe
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #837
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
booniebasher's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 355
I was laid off two months ago

for the first time in my life since the age of 10, I am not working, I have been expectin this for years so i am prepared, i have done ALOT of research so i can relate to this thread and i very much apreciate everything in it, here is some of my take, to the point from observation and realities. I just got back from three weeks in baja.
Baja is a trip, the economy has really changed things down there, good news, you can live in a rv there for basically nothing, zero and on the beach.
you will be somewhat isolated though.
house,s rent for 150 a month, three bedroom and clean, fireplace etc...
modern but outdated technology is cheap. bottom line, nice living for 500 a month. I rode my dirt bike for 19 days out of 20, I cut in NEW singletrack for about 200 miles, scenery is a 10 out of 10. IF i were single I would be living there now !!!! but its not perfect and i could be happy in a tent on the beach.
i also have friends that live in converted moving trucks etc for free in usa on blm land, they are happy for what they have and they too live cheap.
theres lots of variables out there and i think it depends on what makes you and your other happy, its a balancing act. imho best to have class a rv, tow a trailer enclosed that c\doubles as a garage. you can do this for 6k if youre mchanical.
housing and labor and eating out is cheap in mex.... other thing cost the same from what i just observed. BUT it is not crowded and there are very few rules and the exploration seems unlimited.
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #838
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Wal-Mart and Cabella's actually encourage it. Cabella's even provides a dump out and potible water at many locations. The one in Wa even has a freakin corral if you want to exercise your horses!

Actually, there are a couple of mailing lists devoted to WalMart (and Sam's Club) camping because in today's climate some will and some will not permit camping. Most of the time it's not the WalMart policy, but rather local laws that dictate what you can do.

And there is a subculture with their own etiquette as to what should make RV'ers acceptable in the WalMarts - don't make a mess, don't slide out your slideouts, don't put your cooking stuff outside and make it look too obvious that you are camping out, etc.

Here in the Mission/McAllen, TX area where we have a ton of RV'ers and campgrounds the local WalMart has a pretty good collection of truckers and RV'ers that stay for days at a time; they merely ask them to park on the side of the building but don't enforce that.

Around Daytona Beach it's illegal to camp out unless you are in a campground, and WalMart enforces that policy.

I have camped out in a few WalMarts over the years. Usually if we are the only ones there I'll ask to talk to the manager. Most say they are unaware of a company-wide policy on RV camping, one way or the other.

Cracker Barrel restaurants are another one that are usually tolerant of RV camping. That assumes that you like their food - I don't.

And, of course, you can usually get away with staying at truck stops for days at a time if that's your thing and you need to kill some time.

Frankly, considering that we haven't been outside a tropical or semi-tropical climate for the last 20 years, it's cheaper to find an RV park and to use their power than it is to camp out somewhere and run the generator at night for A/C.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #839
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
for the first time in my life since the age of 10, I am not working, I have been expectin this for years so i am prepared, i have done ALOT of research so i can relate to this thread and i very much apreciate everything in it, here is some of my take, to the point from observation and realities. I just got back from three weeks in baja.
Baja is a trip, the economy has really changed things down there, good news, you can live in a rv there for basically nothing, zero and on the beach.
you will be somewhat isolated though.
house,s rent for 150 a month, three bedroom and clean, fireplace etc...
modern but outdated technology is cheap. bottom line, nice living for 500 a month. I rode my dirt bike for 19 days out of 20, I cut in NEW singletrack for about 200 miles, scenery is a 10 out of 10. IF i were single I would be living there now !!!! but its not perfect and i could be happy in a tent on the beach.
i also have friends that live in converted moving trucks etc for free in usa on blm land, they are happy for what they have and they too live cheap.
theres lots of variables out there and i think it depends on what makes you and your other happy, its a balancing act. imho best to have class a rv, tow a trailer enclosed that c\doubles as a garage. you can do this for 6k if youre mchanical.
housing and labor and eating out is cheap in mex.... other thing cost the same from what i just observed. BUT it is not crowded and there are very few rules and the exploration seems unlimited.


Mexico has a culture that is more tolerant towards the homeless than we have here in the USA, and all the beaches that I am aware of are public.

A few years ago I wondered if I could get away with camping out at the Playa Bagdad, south of Brownsville. There is very little there except a fishing village, a handful of places with decent food, and a Mexican Marines bases nearby. I suspect that when that last bus to Matamoros runs and the place shuts down that it's pretty peaceful to say the least.

Likewise I ran into a Canadian that had cut a deal with a little motel on the beach at Tampico. He was paying something like $6/night because he supplied his own bed linens. He told me that he planned to come back the next season with a school bus conversion and try to use their electricity.

The downside to the beautiful scenarios, however, is that the Zetas, the Gulf Cartel, and the Mexican military are engaged in a three-way battle for control. Some of the quiet little border towns are now battlegrounds. That's my major reservation with being in the Playa Bagdad late at night lately.

Another issue for those of you wanting to do a bus conversion or get a motorhome is that you need at least 30 amp circuitry to run a typical RV air conditioning unit **SAFELY**. My bus requires 50 amp circuitry to run everything, and I have never seen a 50 amp RV hookup in Mexico and 30 amp is very, very rare.

I suspect that a person doing a school bus conversion could install a household window unit and run a dedicated line to the unit (and run the rest of the bus circuitry off of another 115volt 20amp line) but ... yeah, it would look "homemade" but that's what you would need in most part of Mexico that I am familiar with.

I am not familiar with RV'ing in Baja so maybe things are different there, but here in the industrial parts of Mexico Schneider and some of the other electrical circuitry people still sell some older stuff, and A/C is far from universal.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #840
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,090
I just found this thread... haven't read ALL of it yet (the first and last ten pages or so), but I will go back through it all shortly. Fascinated by this lifestyle.

I'm fortunate to have stayed employed through this economic disaster caused by our current administration, unlike what I went through during the DOT-COM bust, so I don't see becoming an ex-pat anytime soon. Still, my plan-ahead nature has me thinking about what it might take to do that if things fall apart again.

Right now I'm doing the RV thing though. The reason I'm still employed is I go to where the work is. In the past three years of doing this, I've spent 20 months in San Jose, four months in SoCal, three months in Reno, five months in Salem, Oregon, and have been back in SoCal since the end of November. My RV is a toyhauler, so I can bring my bikes with me, and whenever I move, I go back a few weeks later and get my car. I've actually considered selling the car since I so rarely use it, why make the payments?

But where I am now, so close to Mexico, I'm considering doing some extended baja touring as time permits, maybe scout out some places to settle in, should things work out that way.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014