Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #841
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I just found this thread... haven't read ALL of it yet (the first and last ten pages or so), but I will go back through it all shortly. Fascinated by this lifestyle.

I'm fortunate to have stayed employed through this economic disaster caused by our current administration, unlike what I went through during the DOT-COM bust, so I don't see becoming an ex-pat anytime soon. Still, my plan-ahead nature has me thinking about what it might take to do that if things fall apart again.

Right now I'm doing the RV thing though. The reason I'm still employed is I go to where the work is. In the past three years of doing this, I've spent 20 months in San Jose, four months in SoCal, three months in Reno, five months in Salem, Oregon, and have been back in SoCal since the end of November. My RV is a toyhauler, so I can bring my bikes with me, and whenever I move, I go back a few weeks later and get my car. I've actually considered selling the car since I so rarely use it, why make the payments?

But where I am now, so close to Mexico, I'm considering doing some extended baja touring as time permits, maybe scout out some places to settle in, should things work out that way.

Rob
i think when i return to work i too will do as you are doing now.
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #842
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I am not familiar with RV'ing in Baja so maybe things are different there
baja is much more rural than mainland mexico.
i've never taken my RV down there, but i've stayed @ kiki's in san felipe & i noticed a lot of nice motorhomes there...
apparently, kiki's has 30-amp service, too:
http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/baja...ns_de_kiki.htm

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #843
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
I'd think for the least pain in the ass way to tow a car, would be to get a Jeep Wrangler. It's so short I'd think that it would be easy to tow. Also it's a 4wd if you ever need that and a convertible for when the weather is nice. I've noticed it seem to be the most common towed car on the back of RV's since I've been paying attention.

I am wondering with the rising gas prices, how does this effect you guys who RV all the time? If gas goes to $5 or $6 permanently, do you think you will be able to continue your lifestyle?
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #844
HarryK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm fortunate to have stayed employed through this economic disaster caused by our current administration..
Rob
Current? Things don't get this bad from one guy in just a couple of years.....but we digress...
HarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #845
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
I am wondering with the rising gas prices, how does this effect you guys who RV all the time? If gas goes to $5 or $6 permanently, do you think you will be able to continue your lifestyle?
The key is to not have to move much. Usually, I'm in one place for at least 3-6 months. I was in San Jose for 20 mos, though I did take two trips while there... one up to Sand Mountain in Nevada, another down to SoCal. Once finally in SoCal a few months later, I stayed there the whole four months. Then I was in Reno for three months while between jobs, then in Oregon for five, and now I've been back in SoCal since end of November... though I did just take the trailer up to Death Valley for the nOOb Rally. Fun, but dang that was costly. $135 to fill up on the way back and I wasn't even home yet. I try to take it as easy as I can when taking the trailer anywhere, to maximize fuel economy. More often than not I'm in the 9-10 mpg range, but there are times when I can get up to 11-12 if there's no headwind and I take it very easy on the hills. Not bad for a 16,000 lb trailer I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
Current? Things don't get this bad from one guy in just a couple of years.....but we digress...
That's true... look at who was technically running the country for the previous two years (2006+), i.e. congress. But that's a topic for a whole 'nother thread. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #846
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
This thread needs a bump

Wife and I have set a date, 6/12/12. By that time we should have a years wages saved and no bills. We are telling our bosses to screw off and we are doing the same. I have noticed all this talk about RVs..what about simple tents?
We have a number of ideas, and exploring the US, canada, mexico and beyond are in the top of the list. Doing it slowly and cheaply.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #847
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Good luck. :) Make it India instead and your money will last three or four times longer. Six months visa, then out for two months before re-entering.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #848
tankara fishing
tierra encantada

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
This thread needs a bump

Wife and I have set a date, 6/12/12. By that time we should have a years wages saved and no bills. We are telling our bosses to screw off and we are doing the same. I have noticed all this talk about RVs..what about simple tents?
We have a number of ideas, and exploring the US, canada, mexico and beyond are in the top of the list. Doing it slowly and cheaply.
I vote for getting a simple van, like a bare-bones Astro van, bringing a foam pad, table, cookstove, lawn chairs, hammock and a tent. You can sleep in the van if you need to; otherwise just set up an awning and live outside.

Can I come?
tankara fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #849
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillGat View Post
I vote for getting a simple van, like a bare-bones Astro van, bringing a foam pad, table, cookstove, lawn chairs, hammock and a tent. You can sleep in the van if you need to; otherwise just set up an awning and live outside.

Can I come?
Then there is gas price, repairs, insurance, and so on. I could do that with my jeep Need it on the cheap. If we keep expenses down to under $500mo...we can go for over 4 years.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #850
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Good luck. :) Make it India instead and your money will last three or four times longer. Six months visa, then out for two months before re-entering.
India and Malasia are on the top. Let say I did go there, where could I live? What type of lifestyle could be expected?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #851
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
I haven't done India but have done Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia not to mention Nepal quite a bit. Not only are the expenses much more reasonable than mexico and central america, the food and the locals are much better. Only my opinion of course.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #852
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,324
And anybody that thinks it was the present administration that has brought on our economic woes hasn't done enough research.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #853
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
You could make a lightweight trailer and put one of these tents on top:

http://www.top-tent.com/mombasaprodpage.htm
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #854
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
You could make a lightweight trailer and put one of these tents on top:

http://www.top-tent.com/mombasaprodpage.htm
$ equivalent to 3 months of freedom
Old 05-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #855
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,737
Raven...I waz gonna suggest a Kwik-Kamp trailer like mine...
Name:  kwikkamp3.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  76.3 KB
and as you can see that I can pull it behind my bike as well (altho this waz my old bike in the pic). It sets up in 1 minute, has a queen size BED in it, a full 6'6" stand-up changing area, and the cargo capacity is phoenominal!!! We absolutely love it!!!

...but after your last comment...I guess that even this may be more $$$ than you're willing to part with.
(I've found used ones on CL for $1500-$2000ish)

I've often thought about a long-term life in it...but the wife likes being home and playing in her garden as well...so I hafta settle for long distance touring.

www.artworks-unlimited.com

Patrick46 screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 10:30 PM
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote