User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #856
Oldpatch
Everybody is a local.

Oddometer: 25
How to Leave some of it behind.

Interesting thread, and real easy to get off topic since the idea of separated ourselves from the collective insanity of our mass expectations is so attractive. It looks like the question for most is ďHow?Ē, as in how to pay for it. You can plan, save a pile, and spend it as long as it lasts, then work some more. Or work, scrounge and live off the land. Planning and saving is not for some folks.
There is another option, and that is to take it with you; your income that is.
Six years ago, pissed off at being laid off again and at the mercy of someone else for my well being, I started a small mobile embroidery business that sells to dog, cat and horse shows. Could be anything. Iím not getting rich (Want to make a small fortune in embroidery? Start with a large one.) but it is sustaining and satisfies a lot of my inner wants for creativity, technical excellence, computer design. It is the most satisfying thing I have ever done professionally.
We travel around towing the business behind a motorhome and it puts fuel in the rig, food on the table and the occasional splurge on fun. And I can ride all over the country between shows. Itís currently on ice while I get my home ready to sell and I miss the freedom terribly.
The point is that if you really want to, youíll figure out a way. Iím college educated and spent 35 years working for someone else. I was settled. That didnít help me be satisfied. Stuff didnít help me be satisfied.. By all accounts this should be the last thing youíd expect me to do. Except I did it. When the pain gets deep enough, you will find a way. Now I donít give a damn about owing anything, itís all a means to an end.
I remember sitting around with a group of 20 years younger than me folks in the campground of a state fair, sharing hopes and lies, washing the day away with a beer. Listening to the Sunglasses guy talk about how he positioned his helpers around the gates and how certain products did better than others. Hearing the Jewelry guy talk about scoring some great turquoise for his next project and dickering price points. Listening to the Elephant Ear kid talk about heading for Cambodia after the season, like usual. And being astounded at the variety of underground economy going on around me and realizing a bit humbly that with all my expectations I was now a Carny and on equal footing with these folk. And it was good. Most of this activity was invisible to most of the hard working folk we met that day; people who would never know the deep satisfaction of wrestling a living on your own and walking away owing no man an apology for the days work. Pure entrepenurial capitalism. On my schedule.
So I canít toss the traces completely. Iím currently trying to convince my wife that we should work the USA for 6 months, store the rig, and go to South America for the other six. Make your money here, spend it there. Keep a bike in each place. She is one of those wide eyed villagers who canít believe that you came from that direction and are heading in this one, ďDonít you know those people are dangerous and canít be trusted, this is the only safe place, you were lucky to arrive aliveĒ. Same thing the folks at the last three villages said. Fortunately she also mulls things over until they become her idea, then itís, ďWhat are you waiting for, letís go!Ē Just waitiníÖ

It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather it is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and Fear are twin thieves that would rob us of today. Enjoy the journey, tomorrow is not a promise.
Oldpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #857
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Thumb

^^ !!!!
Well done! Congratulations! :)
So well said. Absolutely excellent.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #858
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
I have been a carney for over thirty years. Started at the bottom and now own 8 concessions. It's not all that bad, I have traveled to 25 countries in my off time and only work 5 1/2 months per year. It's all what you make of it, living debt free and mobile is freedom defined IMHO.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #859
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I have been a carney for over thirty years. Started at the bottom and now own 8 concessions. It's not all that bad, I have traveled to 25 countries in my off time and only work 5 1/2 months per year. It's all what you make of it, living debt free and mobile is freedom defined IMHO.

The "big" carney winter town outside of Tampa used to be Gibsonton. As long as any lifestyle involves at least a few weeks R&R in Gibsonton I think that I could enjoy it.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #860
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Bravo!

One of the more substantive postings of late on ADV.

Oldpatch, you're fortunate to have the partner you have. Most all the gals (must be a woman thing - just saying, YEMV) I've known have been so wrapped around the axle of having financial security and personal well being through the more traditional and stuck inside the box means that they're incapable of seeing the forest for the trees. Quite unlike the OP Super Suz who does.

A good example is the gal I dated up until a week ago for 4-years. She decided to go her way -- that of making lots of money with her high faluting job with the long title so she can continue her luxury vacations around the world and being "secure". Living as stated below would be "too impractical" for her. The thing is it can all come crashing down at any moment which is why I believe you are not living if you're not having fun every moment as illustrated in most these postings. But I digress.

I can't afford luxury on my meager income teaching people how to ride motorcycles while minimizing their risks. But I am having fun, life is simple, not complicated with answering to higher management or stress and I'm not weighed down w/excessive belongings. It's not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpatch View Post
Interesting thread, and real easy to get off topic since the idea of separated ourselves from the collective insanity of our mass expectations is so attractive. It looks like the question for most is “How?”, as in how to pay for it. You can plan, save a pile, and spend it as long as it lasts, then work some more. Or work, scrounge and live off the land. Planning and saving is not for some folks.
There is another option, and that is to take it with you; your income that is.
Six years ago, pissed off at being laid off again and at the mercy of someone else for my well being, I started a small mobile embroidery business that sells to dog, cat and horse shows. Could be anything. I’m not getting rich (Want to make a small fortune in embroidery? Start with a large one.) but it is sustaining and satisfies a lot of my inner wants for creativity, technical excellence, computer design. It is the most satisfying thing I have ever done professionally.
We travel around towing the business behind a motorhome and it puts fuel in the rig, food on the table and the occasional splurge on fun. And I can ride all over the country between shows. It’s currently on ice while I get my home ready to sell and I miss the freedom terribly.
The point is that if you really want to, you’ll figure out a way. I’m college educated and spent 35 years working for someone else. I was settled. That didn’t help me be satisfied. Stuff didn’t help me be satisfied.. By all accounts this should be the last thing you’d expect me to do. Except I did it. When the pain gets deep enough, you will find a way. Now I don’t give a damn about owing anything, it’s all a means to an end.
I remember sitting around with a group of 20 years younger than me folks in the campground of a state fair, sharing hopes and lies, washing the day away with a beer. Listening to the Sunglasses guy talk about how he positioned his helpers around the gates and how certain products did better than others. Hearing the Jewelry guy talk about scoring some great turquoise for his next project and dickering price points. Listening to the Elephant Ear kid talk about heading for Cambodia after the season, like usual. And being astounded at the variety of underground economy going on around me and realizing a bit humbly that with all my expectations I was now a Carny and on equal footing with these folk. And it was good. Most of this activity was invisible to most of the hard working folk we met that day; people who would never know the deep satisfaction of wrestling a living on your own and walking away owing no man an apology for the days work. Pure entrepenurial capitalism. On my schedule.
So I can’t toss the traces completely. I’m currently trying to convince my wife that we should work the USA for 6 months, store the rig, and go to South America for the other six. Make your money here, spend it there. Keep a bike in each place. She is one of those wide eyed villagers who can’t believe that you came from that direction and are heading in this one, “Don’t you know those people are dangerous and can’t be trusted, this is the only safe place, you were lucky to arrive alive”. Same thing the folks at the last three villages said. Fortunately she also mulls things over until they become her idea, then it’s, “What are you waiting for, let’s go!” Just waitin’…
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 10:15 AM Reason: spelling
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #861
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
When I rode my 50CC across the USA we were advised to avoid Dog Beach in San Diego. In hindsight that looks to me like an hippy/RV colony ... my kind of people.

Likewise, I stayed in a Hyatt or Hilton (forget which) in San Diego and I was surprised with the number of RV'ers that were parked on the street in that area.
Me likewise. It's pretty amazing there. Did you notice all the people just beyond the RV's living in makeshift boats (waterbagos) too?
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #862
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Me likewise. It's pretty amazing there. Did you notice all the people just beyond the RV's living in makeshift boats (waterbagos) too?
No, I didn't. Then again I used to keep a sailboat at a marina with a ton of liveaboards so to me that was probably normal.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #863
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
The "big" carney winter town outside of Tampa used to be Gibsonton. As long as any lifestyle involves at least a few weeks R&R in Gibsonton I think that I could enjoy it.
Don't think Gibsonton is too great a place (too many carnies!) . I spent winter time in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, Bali, Ko Phan Gan in Thailand and New Zealand and Nepal. A litle more exotic than Tampa.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #864
Clank
ADV desk jockey

Oddometer: 23
internet

What about issues with internet. I currently work full time with an online travel that does discounted travel :P
I work 100% from home. But do have to be online for an 8 hr shift.
I will have my vstrom as my only mode of transportation. But for my brief jaunts around the states. I have been using a mifi from verizon. Works good here in states. Would I be at the mercy of hotspots south of the border? Wondering anyone had any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Clank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #865
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
I'm finding more and more that the simple lifestyle is very appealing. I have a pretty good-paying job (as a programmer), and I'll admit my own lifestyle is pretty cool... living fulltime in an RV (a toyhauler), and traveling around to where the work is. I take my bikes with me and explore the local area while I'm there. I'm even currently considering going back to Oregon for another six months... I'm far from done exploring that area.

BUT... I still have a lot of bills, and whenever a job ends, there's usually a week or two of downtime (meaning no pay) that makes things tight again for a while. It's getting old. I'm kinda to the point of wishing that all I had was my bike so I could just go travel and explore. But I also have a soon-to-be-ex-wife to complicate things and a bunch of other bills, so I don't see total freedom happening for a while longer.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #866
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Don't think Gibsonton is too great a place (too many carnies!) . I spent winter time in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, Bali, Ko Phan Gan in Thailand and New Zealand and Nepal. A litle more exotic than Tampa.

I'm impressed ... but you have to admit that it would be tough to get your travel trailer to Thailand.

Seriously, there was some bar/restaurant in Gibsonton that I always hit when I'm in the area because it's a drunken hoot every evening.

I miss that place.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #867
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clank View Post
What about issues with internet. I currently work full time with an online travel that does discounted travel :P
I work 100% from home. But do have to be online for an 8 hr shift.
I will have my vstrom as my only mode of transportation. But for my brief jaunts around the states. I have been using a mifi from verizon. Works good here in states. Would I be at the mercy of hotspots south of the border? Wondering anyone had any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Technology changes quickly, but when I had a PCMCIA card from Verizon it worked well in Monterrey. That was a few years ago - perhaps the technology has migrated to the smaller towns by now.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #868
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
I'm impressed ... but you have to admit that it would be tough to get your travel trailer to Thailand.

Seriously, there was some bar/restaurant in Gibsonton that I always hit when I'm in the area because it's a drunken hoot every evening.

I miss that place.
You are right, my wife of 21 years is from Bangkok so we just take a small bag and buy whatever we need. Have a couple homes there which make it a convenient jumping off place.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #869
Clank
ADV desk jockey

Oddometer: 23
Yea been looking at the coverage maps. They seem okay around the bigger cities.

Thanks!

Quote:
Technology changes quickly, but when I had a PCMCIA card from Verizon it worked well in Monterrey. That was a few years ago - perhaps the technology has migrated to the smaller towns by now.
Clank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #870
Eris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Love the thread though fully admitting I've not read all the posts here. Second I have a number of friends who do something similar. One friend has a job he can work from anywhere (not enough to pay the bills in Seattle) and thus can live basically forever in many other non EU places. He still currently has a room here in Seattle but may be dropping that as the communal living thing is going tits up.

I'm working my way into a lot of location irrelevant jobs... writing, tech work, etc and have found this site pretty helpful: http://www.technomadia.com/ They've got links to a lot of other resources on taking work out of the workplace etc.

I'm currently mostly job location bound but do get to "work from home" regularly and use this as an opportunity to explore. Not the topic of the thread but certainly setting out in the same general direction.

Basically if you can find a job that's not location specific you could maintain a lifestyle of travel for a very long time if you choose wisely. And certainly outside the US is much cheaper these days. Doing a trip (sans moto sadly) to Nicaragua later this year and doing it for less than a road trip to Montana, even if I did camp the whole way.

My goal is to get a job that is not at all location specific. Why be tied down when you don't have to be?

Clank- I was looking into this a while ago but didn't find too much. Folks at Technomadia have some resources (outside their site) that have a bit more info. There's a ton of people out there doing this and likely a post to expats in the areas you're looking to travel to would be very informative. Wifi in Mexico (Baja) was pretty easy to find almost anywhere big enough to be a reasonably sized town but south into Chile and Argentina can be spotty, especially if you're well off the beaten path (as usual). Also depends on the speed of connection you need. For me I need to RDP to a server and then RDP to another server. Libraries, mifi (sometimes) and Starbucks/McD's work well enough for this but often smaller coffee shops can be trying. If you don't need super high speed your options are a lot more open. I will say that cell reception in Mexico (again Baja only) was WAY better than in the states. I could get a signal pretty much anywhere I went... not sure about the data as I obviously had it off. Don't suppose your company is hiring? :-)

Eris screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 09:39 AM
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote