Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #886
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
The more I read about this way of living the more it apeels to me. But with a wife and daughter who aren't going to conform, it's a dead in the water idea! But, I may just go ahead and buy an older RV and start the conversion toa possible one day experimental voyage. I do a lot of long distance riding now and this would be a logical transition. The only problem is, I would want a very small bike, yes motorized and a wife who would come along too.

Exactly! I plan on strapping my little Suzuki K11p to a hitch rack so I can use it as a backup/trail bike.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #887
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
$125/day on a 24/7 schedule means no breaks, making ~$5.21/hour...
um, no thanks.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #888
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Nor is it laid-off or ex-pats.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #889
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969 View Post
$125/day on a 24/7 schedule means no breaks, making ~$5.21/hour...
um, no thanks.

Depends on how you look at it. If you are getting paid to watch satellite TV and surf the net, and have no expenses (hint: I paid about $600/month for an RV space and utilities during the summer but with this gig you are hooked up to a generator) then it's a great opportunity to save some money.

But it's not for everyone. That's for sure. It's hot, dusty, and lonely. Depending on where you are at.

I heard a politician talking about the $100K truck driving jobs here in the oil fields yet I know that Halliburton is paying those guys between $8.50 and $10.50/hour with no overtime. Do the math.

So filter those things into your expectations.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #890
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
with this gig you are hooked up to a generator
that does somewhat ameliorate the low wage, but still... $5.21/hr seems, um, really low, for a job where you're essentially on-call 24/7.

Quote:
I heard a politician talking about the $100K truck driving jobs here in the oil fields
how can you tell a politician is lying?
his lips are moving.
(yes, i know, it's a recycled attorney joke. sue me. )

Quote:
yet I know that Halliburton is paying those guys between $8.50 and $10.50/hour with no overtime. Do the math.
my son has a CDL & works for halliburton; i can tell you right now that they pay him quite a bit more than that...
but perhaps you were talking about starting wages.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #891
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Nor is it laid-off or ex-pats.

Well, I was laid off, and I am 11.3 miles to the border and enjoy (love! ) riding into Mexico. So while there has admittedly been some thread drift this isn't totally irrelevant, particularly considering that Halliburton and some other international oil field companies have a huge presence in Northern Mexico.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #892
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

my son has a CDL & works for halliburton; i can tell you right now that they pay him quite a bit more than that...
but perhaps you were talking about starting wages.

I used to own a truckin' company. When you would ask someone how much they made they would always say something like $45K but when you audited their check stubs it was always something like $16K-22K.

This was about 20 years ago incidentally, but you get the picture. Politicians aren't the only ones that lie. Truckers are notorious.

I am sure that folks that get promoted within Haliburton's system, or who have specialties earn more.

But by and large I am not 100% impressed with oilfield wages. Yeah, the per-hour number for many of these guys is large, but they are nomadic, never set roots, have no hobbies or wives, and commute long distances and are called when needed. Someone called the backhoe operator out last night (Saturday) between 12:30AM and 3:30AM and otherwise he hasn't been here for weeks.

So yeah ... it's $5 and change an hour, or $1,750 for two weeks with no deductions, depending on how you look at it.

I'm sitting here in my home (full-time RV'er), eating dinner, watching the History Channel, and writing this so the stress is pretty low. I guess if you looked at military service on a ship and did a per-hour analysis on most postings you'd come up with similar figures.

Just FYI and in the interests of full disclosure, many of these companies are under pressure to qualify us as employees rather than subcontractors and I have no idea how that will shake out.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #893
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Quote:
Politicians aren't the only ones that lie. Truckers are notorious.
yeah, but...
he's my son & has never lied to me as an adult. ever.
plus, he lives a good enough life, in this era of tight credit, that i can say with a high level of assurance that he's not lying to me about his wages.

Quote:
by and large I am not 100% impressed with oilfield wages.
well, sure, but...
it's not like most of them (the workers) spent a lot of money on their educations, or at least, they're not using it.

Quote:
So yeah ... it's $5 and change an hour, or $1,750 for two weeks with no deductions, depending on how you look at it.
well, i'm not going to say that's bad, but i make a bit more than that after a few days' of 8 hours per day... as does my wife. just sayin'

Quote:
Just FYI and in the interests of full disclosure, many of these companies are under pressure to qualify us as employees rather than subcontractors and I have no idea how that will shake out.
i hear ya.
years ago, some contract workers for micro-sloth sued over stock options or something stupid like that...
next thing you know, we're all suffering.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
Old 10-31-2011, 02:38 AM   #894
dengwynn
AT LARGE

Oddometer: 113
I was an expatriate for 17 years. Worked on 3 continents in a number of countries, same sort of job, [ teaching college classes in geology and biology]. Some teaching was in poor countries some not. I saw some places change greatly while other countries stagnated.
For those of you wishing to work out of the USA, it is possible if you have something they need [skill and experience]. Working conditions and pay are generally below USA standards and that includes hours worked.
If it is difficult in the USA that is but a sample of what it can be elsewhere one can not expect labor laws, health insurance etc. .
If one is not competent in a foreign language, you will function only in former British (or American) colonies.
Working with the US military is a good option as they are in many places and it is like living at home and the pay is reasonable. You will find that even modest living is often surprisingly expensive. It is absolutely necessary to be flexible and not expect much. If working, you will be in direct competition with those willing to work longer and harder than is common here.
If you have the inclination to join the Peace Corps do so. They give you a framework in which to function. Do be aware that one is vulnerable and that because of events in the last decade the US is not as popular as it was.
You will find that there are good people everywhere. Friendly curious people.
The dollar does not go nearly as far as it once did so being a beach bum does not work out so well and eventually one fights boredom.

If you have the inclination and are capable, a foreign experience can be good. Much depends on you...and luck.
dennis
dengwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #895
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,309
On long jaunts out of the country boredom can indeed set in. I spent large chunks of my life as a beach bum in many different places. If the surf wasn't up I found myself reading material that I would never read at home. Walking, frisbee and learning to cook became hobbies. Lots of swimming. Stayed in great shape though. You don't realize how long a day actually is until you have absolutely nothing to do. Even in "paradise".

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #896
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

well, i'm not going to say that's bad, but i make a bit more than that after a few days' of 8 hours per day... as does my wife. just sayin'

i

In 1996, at the height of my truckin' business, I owned an S-Class Mercedes sedan, a Range Rover, and a Porsche Carrera. I also owned 2 boats, and was just getting back into serious motorcycling.

So I'm passingly familiar with truckin', truck drivers, and makin' money.

But for something low hassle, that promises time off in weekly and monthly increments (read: "riding opportunities"), that requires little capital if you already have a motorhome or travel trailer, and requires little training and industrial knowledge, I like this gig.

It's not for everyone. It was hotter than hell in the summer, and if you are single and working a well that has lots of night time activity it can be irritating, but all and all I like it and can see why so many people are attracted to life in the desert.

Oh, and you have to have a low level security clearance to do these gigs. That's a deal killer for a lot of people.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #897
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Oh, and you have to have a low level security clearance to do these gigs. That's a deal killer for a lot of people.
Heck...seems like you need that just to work at Mickey-D's anymore!!!

It's killing job opprotunities for ALOT of folks these days. (not that it's a bad thing though.)

In the current economy and job market, it amazes me how many people don't use their heads. They apply for jobs knowing darn well that they can't pass a UA! Ask any employer, and he'll tell you how hard it is to find 'respectable' employees.

some people simply never learn!!

(sorry for the hyjack)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #898
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
In the current economy and job market, it amazes me how many people don't use their heads. They apply for jobs knowing darn well that they can't pass a UA! Ask any employer, and he'll tell you how hard it is to find 'respectable' employees.

What is a UA?
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #899
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
What is a UA?
Drug test aka piss in this cup
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #900
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Drug test aka piss in this cup

If you can't go 30 days without partying you must not be hungry enough, yet!

Why bother hunting for a job while you've still got a 6 pack and a joint?

"None of my friends have clean pee, except my dog and he can't aim into a jar......"

You'd think speaking English would give ya' an edge in America.

Maybe it's my tatoos. I wonder if I can sue for discrimination, I mean like it'sa "Free Speech" thing too, right?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote