I don't think they still make my model:

http://www.seawardyachts.com/sea23.html
How much cabin height did/do you have?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #992
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I think I have become convinced that I am going to build a large yurt home for myself. I intend to incorporate what I know about 'sustainable energy' and stuff (translation: Environment? Phht, I just don't want to pay utility bills anymore, dude) and make the most out of it. Plus, if I think I can move it relatively easily if I can come up with a cheap method for building a portable deck base.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #993
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,775
I'd be really interested in watching that come together. ^^^

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #994
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
I think I have become convinced that I am going to build a large yurt home for myself. I intend to incorporate what I know about 'sustainable energy' and stuff (translation: Environment? Phht, I just don't want to pay utility bills anymore, dude) and make the most out of it. Plus, if I think I can move it relatively easily if I can come up with a cheap method for building a portable deck base.
or, you could start with something like this:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/2797419756.html

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #995
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969 View Post
or, you could start with something like this:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/2797419756.html

Ditto.

The yurt just seems like a big tent to me. Seems like a lot of effort & expense for very little return. If you want something temporary, portable, and cheap I'd think an old RV or school bus would be cheap & simple. Moving them would be a breeze, and when you're done with them they'd have at least some monetary value. You would also have a lot more options on places to park an RV than places you could move a yurt to. An RV is also more secure and can be insured. You can break into a yurt with almost anything and one would burn to ashes quicker than you could get out of the door.

Sorry to sound so negative, but just some things to consider.

Btw, If you want a building that's cheap, but not portable I'd look into "pole barns". National Barn offers them cheap. For less than $10,000 they'll build a 30x50 on your land. They are uninsulated and you pour the concrete floor after it's built. Ofthey get larger course they'll build any size you want, and they are cheaper per sq ft as they get larger.

GlennR screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 09:43 AM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #996
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I spent a week back country skiing out of a yurt. Kinda neat to stay in one but propane heat sucks (doesn't dry out wet gear very well).
And if it ever caught on fire... woof.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #997
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Oddometer: 89
A yurt is not for me. . . . So gonna pass on that one. But after reading most of this thread maybe a boat is. I'm sure it's already been posted many times, but what size sailboat can one person manage? I always ride bikes alone but water is something else . If I was going to take the plunge and buy a boat, what size should I get? What could I manage own my own? I don't know shit about sailing !
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #998
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission1 View Post
A yurt is not for me. . . . So gonna pass on that one. But after reading most of this thread maybe a boat is. I'm sure it's already been posted many times, but what size sailboat can one person manage? I always ride bikes alone but water is something else . If I was going to take the plunge and buy a boat, what size should I get? What could I manage own my own? I don't know shit about sailing !
They actually get easier when they get bigger and you add $$. 100'ers are all push button controlled

Seriously after 36-40' it can be tricky to single hand. It all depends how it is setup.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #999
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
If I was going to take the plunge and buy a boat, what size should I get? What could I manage own my own? I don't know shit about sailing !
Might be best to work on fixing you lack of sailing skills first before sinking big money into a big boat.

With skill and suitable systems, as the other person says, they get easier up to somewhere around 30 to 40 feet.
But start by learning in a dinghy; you'll learn valuable skills in a boat that throws you in the water when you make mistakes.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1000
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
They actually get easier when they get bigger and you add $$. 100'ers are all push button controlled

Seriously after 36-40' it can be tricky to single hand. It all depends how it is setup.

I do understand the size thing. Sounds alot like aircraft. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1001
Mission1
Twisted and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Might be best to work on fixing you lack of sailing skills first before sinking big money into a big boat.

With skill and suitable systems, as the other person says, they get easier up to somewhere around 30 to 40 feet.
But start by learning in a dinghy; you'll learn valuable skills in a boat that throws you in the water when you make mistakes.

Never done the dingy thing but I have done some hobie-cat sailing as a kid. That was like 30 years ago. So a refresh is in order. Not wanting to spend BIG money on a boat because honestly I can't afford it. I was just thinking if I was to go off the deep end . . . .what should I look for ?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1002
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Quote:
I do understand the size thing. Sounds a lot like aircraft. Thanks for your advice.
Ahhhh....

There's a key difference.

When you make mistakes under a hang glider, it throws you in the water (or onto the beach) from a much greater height!

For example, (and this is speaking from experience), hang gliding without stereopsis tends to include hard landings.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #1003
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post

(DAMHIK, ... I once lived in a 15' open rowboat for over 3 months straight )

I bet you weren't "straight" for the entire time!

GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1004
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
extended cruising rule of thumb for boats, you need 7500# displacement for each person. That accounts for personal gear / space / boat parts stowage / tankage / more complex mechanical infrastructure / etc.

one thing to remember, a typical full keel sailboat will displace about 10,000#, a 36' full keel sailboat will displace about 16,000#. which means way more bottom paint, bigger sails, bigger diesel, etc. all of which means more cost to you. also, getting insurance to cross certain waters can be rather expensive to obtain, which can be a deal killer if you have a loan on the vessel and have to carry insurance for the bank's protection.

and sure, a small boat can be fun / quaint / cozy on a sunny nice weekend when you're having fun, but after days of rain, or when tempers flare a boat gets mighty small, mighty darned quick and there's no where for anyone to go to "escape".
Not necessarily true..............

http://www.bluemoment.com/dove.html

he was my hero back when I waz a teenager.

just goes to show, that you can do pretty good in a small displacement boat, but it might take alittle more work.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #1005
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Not necessarily true..............

http://www.bluemoment.com/dove.html

he was my hero back when I waz a teenager.

just goes to show, that you can do pretty good in a small displacement boat, but it might take alittle more work.
I was going to make a post about his book when I saw the boat topic come up. Its one of the best books I've ever read and will make the biggest landlubber have dreams of sailing the oceans.

Used to live in RI and a friend had a small weekender sailboat, got divorced, lived on his boat, turned it into a career inspecting delivering and teaching. He wound up with 5 boats which after he taught you would rent out and currently living on a 44. You could learn about boats and make it a career living in the tropics..
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote