Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #1036
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
[QUOTE=Patrick46;18283588]If I decided to sell my house, I could buy a pretty nice boat, more than capable of comfortably touring the world on. The money's I pay for utilities, insurance, and property tax's could easily buy me moorage in marinas while on said tour.

If I'm living this (described) lifestyle, the only thing I'd have to wonder about is how to spend my time.

Expensive???....YOU BET!!! But so is living in a house in a pleasant location.

So, to me, the 'real' question here is.....how do you wanna spend your MONEY & your TIME.

Everyone will answer this question differently. (which is good)

I wouldn't recommend spending your time in marinas, we were on our boat 6 to 7 months at a time, the only time we docked was to fuel up. On anchor is more comfortable you swing with the wind rather than banging against a dock and the air flows through your boat better, your away from people walking by your boat all the time more secure, and you are less likely to get cockroaches and rodents stowing away. These are just some of the many benefits of not docking

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #1037
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Well, I'll let you know. I retired a couple years ago, have the closing on my shack next week, and a travel budget of $80/day that is indefinate. I think I can make that do if camping is cheap and gas doesn't go over $4/gallon.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #1038
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
you're away from people walking by your boat all the time more secure. These are just some of the many benefits of not docking
Least we forget the dockside "LOOKIE-LOOS"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
Well, I'll let you know. I retired a couple years ago, have the closing on my shack next week, and a travel budget of $80/day that is indefinate. I think I can make that do if camping is cheap and gas doesn't go over $4/gallon.
Woo-Hoo!!!

Congratulations, and keep us posted!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #1039
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
never ever ever ever ever ever bring a corrugated cardboard box on board in the tropics........

Also, most garbage comes from product packaging.
Ditch what you can before leaving land.

You'll have to fog the boat to rid it of roaches and/or sugar ants.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #1040
Patrick46
visionary

WOW...sounds like a great trip!!

'cept I think I wouldda hung a hammock in the boat to keep me off the floor and outta the water.
Plus, (if you didn't do this, and it sounds like you didn't,,,) I wouldda hung a tarp from the boom over the cockpit, to keep me outta the rain and to offer at least a minimal shelter.

Reason I ask is I'm considering somethiing similiar in a canoe

actually, it's a Scanoe. (a canoe with a squared off transom.) Very easy to addapt a sailing rig to.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #1041
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
never ever ever ever ever ever bring a corrugated cardboard box on board in the tropics.

not even for 5 mins.

pretty much a sure thing there will be roach eggs hiding in the corrugations, and then they hatch.
Yeah, we used to bring everything out in the dinghy, unloaded it out of the boxes and the paper bags (cockroaches will also use the folds to lay their eggs) and take all the paper products back ashore. We managed to avoid all the roaches but still managed to get a mouse on board somehow. We could only figure it came aboard while we were fueling up in Nassau Harbour one time. The little buggars are quick

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #1042
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
What are some good sites about buying, travelling, and living on boats? I can see myself doing it someday, but til then I'd like to read more about how folks are doing it and the boats they use.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #1043
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
What are some good sites about buying, travelling, and living on boats? I can see myself doing it someday, but til then I'd like to read more about how folks are doing it and the boats they use.
A couple we know, after they sold their business they lived aboard for a couple of years. Then they bought a place ashore and now only go sailing when they feel like it. Which is more like what they did when they had their business. They sailed for years, decades, before they went to live aboard.

Living aboard while sailing around the world or even a lesser international trip is not something that I think is all that great an idea for a newbie to say "I think I'll buy a cheap used boat and sail it to _______ ." Kinda like we here from people who never rode, who want to buy a bike and ride to Tierra del Fuego for their first trip, and they are going to explore their way through the Darien Gap too.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #1044
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

Living aboard while sailing around the world or even a lesser international trip is not something that I think is all that great an idea for a newbie to say "I think I'll buy a cheap used boat and sail it to _______ ." Kinda like we here from people who never rode, who want to buy a bike and ride to Tierra del Fuego for their first trip, and they are going to explore their way through the Darien Gap too.
Oh you must mean like this girl with 200 miles under her belt who rides to Panama

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=505

I see you're one of those people who tells others they can't live their dream"...

dontlr screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 06:37 PM
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1045
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

There are folks who don't ride motorcycles who lurk around here dreaming about riding. Most of us here ride, but never go too far from home, but we love to read and dream about the far away rides and exotic places.

So, you don't think it's safe for me to dream about boats?

We can't worry about the want-to-be bikers getting run over by a dump truck, or riding off a cliff. Don't worry about folks who want to go for a big boat ride. Folks are going to live and folks are going to die.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #1046
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Oh you must mean like this girl with 200 miles under her belt who rides to Panama

I see you're one of those people who tells others they can't live their dream"...
WOW...ya beat me to the punch!!

I waz just gonna ask Viverrid if he's ever met GlennR, and does he have any idea of how much or how little sailing experience GlennR may have??

For all he knows, GlennR could be an experienced world sailor.

All he did was ask a question about liveaboards. (apparently, this is a 'no-no')

meh...maybe he's right. If Glenn needs to ask questions...then he probably has no business considering the possible idea of living on a boat.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #1047
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
i went to school with a lot of guys who went into the commercial fishing industry. if my truck breaks down, i can hoof it back home. if their boat runs afoul, they're kind of SoL.

something to be said for terra firma
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1048
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post

Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #1049
boatbkr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
are some good sites about buying, travelling, and living on boats? I can see myself doing it someday, but til then I'd like to read more about how folks are doing it and the boats they use
Try Crusing World Magazine and Latitude 38 . Both good reads .
boatbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1050
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

My family has a place on a large lake. I know I won't learn how to navigate on a lake, but I can learn to sail without the real dangers of the open ocean. While I'm doing that I can read about ocean sailing.