Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #1051
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
These types of threads always bring out a lot of opinions on "boat living" and it is interesting stuff.

I've done some boating, but not a lot and only a couple times I've been open-ocean sailing. While I don't shy away from high-risk activities (motorcycling, flying, etc.), I found blue water sailing to be pretty scary stuff. I love the adventure of it and I love the technology and boats, but I didn't find living on a boat very fun. It's terribly confining, almost claustrophobic to me.

My takeaway from many of these discussions is that if you're a sailor who would be on the water under any circumstances, then making your boat your home and sailing the world as a way of living cheaply is a great idea. Conversely, if you're not, then its an expensive way to live that you'll likely be miserably unhappy. As such, it's a choice you make because you love the lifestyle, not one you make to save money.

Another way of looking at it is that you should decide where/how you want to live first, then find the cheapest way to live there later.

Just my $0.02.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #1052
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Lake sailing is actually much tricker than ocean sailing as far as handling the boat. Lakes have fluky winds, and are prone to gustings and such that open ocean sailing isn't.
I'd describe lake sailing in dinghies (which is how I started) as very different, yet very relevant experience for sailing larger boats. A bit like learning to drive a large bus once you've mastered an MX5/Miata. There's stuff thats just plain different, but the basics, the three pedals and a steering wheel and pointing it where you want to go, are the same and the gearbox is similar but more complicated.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #1053
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
the 2 biggest lesson i've learned over the last 9 month living & traveling in mexico are below and completely intertwined:

#1 you can't do this if you have any debt. every piece of debt is financial slavery and your bound to keep working for ever because of it.
#2 your desire for things, consumerism, lead to debt. determine a need from a want. stay away from the want and pay cash for the need. things don't make you happy.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #1054
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
this was a great read 40 years ago: http://www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/tinkerbelle/

although i'm not sure that i aspire!

Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #1055
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
the 2 biggest lesson i've learned over the last 9 month living & traveling in mexico are below and completely intertwined:

#1 you can't do this if you have any debt. every piece of debt is financial slavery and your bound to keep working for ever because of it.
#2 your desire for things, consumerism, lead to debt. determine a need from a want. stay away from the want and pay cash for the need. things don't make you happy.
yea. I agree. I don't have any real debt. Just my massive student loans... other than that though I owe no one a cent. But I can't really get out of paying that shit for a long time... I wish I never went to school sometimes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #1056
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

I agree. Debt is a responsibility. So are children and most mates. It's hard to be free to travel and do "whatever" when you are obligated.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1057
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
yea. I agree. I don't have any real debt. Just my massive student loans... other than that though I owe no one a cent. But I can't really get out of paying that shit for a long time... I wish I never went to school sometimes
Student loans are far worse than debt. A couple years back, rules were changed and you can pretty much never get out of paying student loans. They can not be dismissed or lowered even in bankruptcy court.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #1058
Mr. J
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Student loans are far worse than debt. A couple years back, rules were changed and you can pretty much never get out of paying student loans. They can not be dismissed or lowered even in bankruptcy court.

why should they be? or does expatriate mean "no accountability"?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #1059
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
why should they be? or does expatriate mean "no accountability"?
Only if you are a corporation - or rich enough. Mere powerless mortals like students still gotta pay.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #1060
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Student loans are "a steep learning curve" about dept and capitalism. If you choose the wrong occupation you can easily find yourself enslaved by them for many years to come. Higher education isn't free, and often isn't financially worth the investment. But it's hard to fully realize that when you're young and full of dreams. Many people would be much better off with a 2 year degree from an affordable community college, that mainly focus on teaching sellable skills. But going to a community college often seems like a second rate education to an 18 year old who has big dreams.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #1061
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Yea I did not mean to imply I was better off for them. Quite the opposite. I, again, wish i never attended college. Someday I need to just completely drop off radar and use an alias and tell Sallie Mae to get stuffed.

I am not of the opinion it was worth it for me. But I felt like I needed a Bachelors at the time to be competitive. I would have been better off though just taking those 3 years to study on my own and build a portfolio of work... I do web design/front end development for a living.

I really would love to get out of these horrible jobs I always end up with and out on my own doing freelance or even temp contract work. My benefits suck, I am micromanaged to no end, and my pay is subpar for my field.

And I really wish folks were not so conservative about working from home/remote. It is just business conservatism. Old hat crap. There is NO reason not to allow workers, and ESPECIALLY web developers and the like, to work from home. Studies have already confirmed that the 'oh people don't work unless you are breathing down their necks' thing is a bunch of bull. Even concluding that remote workers get MORE work done than regular workers! Maybe because they aren't freaking miserable?!?

Why make me waste all that fuel, tie me down to a place, and sit at the damn desk in that horrible office? Let me work from home! :[

Of course, I guess if they DID, they couldn't micromanage me so much... Me thinks at times it is about control more than anything else...

BaronVonDarrin screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 07:50 AM
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #1062
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Student loans are "a steep learning curve" about dept and capitalism. If you choose the wrong occupation you can easily find yourself enslaved by them for many years to come. Higher education isn't free, and often isn't financially worth the investment.
Sad but true.

How many of us know people who went to college, only to end up flipping burgers or working at Starbucks, never even using the education that they just spent all that time, money, and energy earning!!!

btw...for those curious and/or interested in a good read about cheap traveling and living in a small sailboat, I recommend reading this...

don't tell me it can't be done.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #1063
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Seems like lots of sailers find time from their busy schedules to write books.

We bikers on the other hand....barely find time for their forums!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #1064
Mr. J
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Student loans are "a steep learning curve" about dept and capitalism. ...
not sure when a college degree became an entitlement to a successful future, instead of what it is: a supplemental learning experience. all knowledge does not come from books.

sorry for the sidetrack
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #1065
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
not sure when a college degree became an entitlement to a successful future, instead of what it is: a supplemental learning experience.....
Let's call it expected rather than entitled, and be generous...:)
The cattle call....
Lines form. Take a number. Pick your future. The end result - including the actual end itself - is preplanned.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote