Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #1126
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,696
Sorry Mike, but what exactally were you expecting to hear from some half-pissed-up clown in a bar anyway??

Had a friend who lived on a sailboat in the Sea of Cortez. While he waz doing some maintanance on his boat, the guy in the next slip asked if he waz interested in doing some work on his boat as well. Well, he ended up staying in the same marina for nearly 4 months, doing odd jobs for other boat owners...(for cash)...and came out so far ahead of the game that he couldda happily stayed doing that for the main duration of his life.
Unfortunately, the dummy met a girl, moved back up here...bla, bla, bla

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #1127
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 508
Patrick, my point was that claims of financial success are almost always exaggerated by these expat types. I can confidently say that because 1) having lived overseas for more than 20 years I have met legions of these folks; and 2) I was one myself for a couple of years as a free-lance English teacher in Mexico and Thailand. Sure, like your boat repairman friend I made enough for a comfortable local lifestyle and even to travel around quite a bit, but nobody should think of this as along-term path to financial security or anything but a fun but temporary detour on the way to a real life.

As for characters along he way I've met people who had schemes to set up gold mining operations; companies to export to the US new engine designs, ornamental iron lamps, golf equipment, fiberglass replica car bodies, human skeletons (for medical school use, I hope) acquired in China -- and many other pie-in-the-sky dreams that contained more fantasy than practicality. I know of none that panned out, unless you count as success the fact that some of these dreamers actually got others to buy in long enough to support themselves for a while until the game played out and another great idea came along. Yes, I know someone now who is doing OK importing handicrafts from villagers in south America and SEAsia, but this is more an excuse to travel on a tax-deductible business budget than a real business.

My post was intended to encourage people who might actually believe some of these claims to treat them the same way they would a missive from Nigeria promising great wealth for a modest investment. Or are you willing to give the benefit of the doubt to that as well?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #1128
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I made enough for a comfortable local lifestyle and even to travel around quite a bit, but nobody should think of this as along-term path to financial security or anything but a fun but temporary detour on the way to a real life.
Sure...investing on anybody's crackpot dreams is a stupid risk....however I think you're wrong regarding the above statement. ^^^

A 'REAL' Life???

oh....you mean like mortgage, insurance, property tax payments, and the like??

Financial security??? (is that anything like 'military intelligence??)

Gimmie a life of easy work on a sailboat in a warm place over grinding out an existance in a big city anyday!!...and YES, for the rest of my life!

of course...this all depends on what you WANT outta life!

Enjoy

Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #1129
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Quote:
Financial security??? (is that anything like 'military intelligence??)
Hey, ease up, Patrick...I was in military intelligence for four years and it didn't render me COMPLETELY non compos mentis.

I think at some point in life we have to give up Jimmy Buffet-inspired fantasies in favor of a more reasoned lifestyle, lest we end up lying half-drunk on a piss-stained mattress in a fourth floor walk-up while our aging but once-exotic mistress shrieks insults about wasting her youth and beauty on a useless gringo. Don't laugh...I've seen it (but I had to take on faith the part about once-exotic).

And as for the sailing on tropical waters for a lifetime? Hold on tightly to that fantasy. I suspect it's a hell of a lot better than the reality.

But I'm curious. If this is your idea of an ideal life, why aren't you out doing it instead of sitting in front of your computer fantasizing about it?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #1130
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 657
Thumb

Quote:
And as for the sailing on tropical waters for a lifetime? Hold on tightly to that fantasy.
ELO: Hold On Tight

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #1131
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Hey, ease up, Patrick...I was in military intelligence for four years and it didn't render me COMPLETELY non compos mentis.

I think at some point in life we have to give up Jimmy Buffet-inspired fantasies in favor of a more reasoned lifestyle, lest we end up lying half-drunk on a piss-stained mattress in a fourth floor walk-up while our aging but once-exotic mistress shrieks insults about wasting her youth and beauty on a useless gringo. Don't laugh...I've seen it (but I had to take on faith the part about once-exotic).

And as for the sailing on tropical waters for a lifetime? Hold on tightly to that fantasy. I suspect it's a hell of a lot better than the reality.

But I'm curious. If this is your idea of an ideal life, why aren't you out doing it instead of sitting in front of your computer fantasizing about it?
Awesome post - you nailed it.

I have some friends who sold their casa near the Santa Barbara coast, sailed away on the big adventure towards S America, got as far as Mexico and bought some land in a bay, built a house, had it wrecked by an earthquake, rebuilt. They spend half the year there playing host to visiting yachties as Lords of the Flies, then work a half year in Cali saving money to return to their retired life while they pay a security guard to patrol their Mexico house to keep it from being looted. Is it better than the rat race? I dunno, but they won't ever be able to afford to return to the place they left in the US. They say it doesn't matter, yet they return year after year to stay with friends and visit family, and I think if they had the choice, they'd prefer to return. The grass is always greener....
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #1132
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
The grass is always greener....

Today's Election Day....let's hope the grass remains greener!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1133
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,074
I've had offers for both Mexico and Canada.If I take another hit from the government like I have the past four years,I may be saying adios or adieu.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #1134
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Today's Election Day....let's hope the grass remains greener!!
I voted for Gary Johnson, Libertarian candidate. At least the grass would be legal!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #1135
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Just came back from Nuevo Laredo. Met several old gringos, most hanging in the bars and going out with young chicas.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1136
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Well...seeing that I have some very good friends who've been traveling the world on their sailboat (12 years and counting)...and they have no plans on stopping anytime soon. I guess you need to talk to more people who are thrilled at taking the plunge and are making their dreams their realities.

Quote:
I have some friends who sold their casa near the Santa Barbara coast, sailed away on the big adventure towards S America, got as far as Mexico and bought some land in a bay, built a house, had it wrecked by an earthquake, rebuilt. They spend half the year there playing host to visiting yachties as Lords of the Flies, then work a half year in Cali saving money to return to their retired life while they pay a security guard to patrol their Mexico house to keep it from being looted. Is it better than the rat race? I dunno, but they won't ever be able to afford to return to the place they left in the US. They say it doesn't matter, yet they return year after year to stay with friends and visit family, and I think if they had the choice, they'd prefer to return. The grass is always greener....
This IS the ADVenture forum here...isn't it????

How many RR's have you guys read where folks have..."Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding..."
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813572
There are quite a few other folks out there who are riding and/or sailing their way around the world.

Just because it's not YOUR dream doesn't make it wrong or foolish them to pursue it.

I live on the coast...(painted all day today in the shipyard in fact), and there are quite a number of people who DO take that Jimmy Buffet plunge and buy a sailboat to sail their dreams away on. But the first time the boat heals over in the wind, the wife sais "Take me back to shore!! I'll never go on a boat ever again!!! (had a customer and his wife do this very thing. luckly their house hadn't sold yet so they were able to go back home. too bad that they've got this georgeous boat just sitting now )

Selling off your home and all your worldly possessions to follow a dream is NOT to be taken lightly! Often times you may burn bridges that are not rebuildable...so be careful what you ask for in life. You MAY just get it....and the costs may be dear!!

Quote:
a.) my wife doesn't want to live on the road like I do...and I did do it for many years until I met and married her...and I love my wife far too much to leave her, so I guess I'll have to settle for our winter trips to Hawaii, and our extended motorcycle trips the rest of the time.

oh...and b.) we're now also raising our 3 Grandchildren...(triplet toddlers)...and I'm not the kind of person who'd just dump them on the curb somewhere. (and YES....this extremely tough!!!)

Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1137
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Just because it's not YOUR dream doesn't make it wrong or foolish them to pursue it.
True, and for the record, I pass no judgement on my friends - they are still my friends and I wish them all the best. Life is all about making choices, and many doors we pass through are one-way. If I believed in reincarnation, those choices would be easier, but I live as though I'm only here once. "Make good choices!"
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #1138
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Quote:
True, and for the record, I pass no judgement on my friends - they are still my friends and I wish them all the best. Life is all about making choices, and many doors we pass through are one-way. If I believed in reincarnation, those choices would be easier, but I live as though I'm only here once. "Make good choices!"
I'll second Tigerpawed. I would also point out that if some of us urge caution in throwing "normal" life to the wind and setting out on that grand adventure it's based on some experience in this sort of thing. It may work out in the long term for a few, but IMHO it's unconscionable to romanticize something to the extent that impressionable people -- who are already probably a little frustrated with their lot -- take a bold step that they might regret.

It's not anti-adventure to note that there is gritty reality under the palm-trees-and-pretty-native-women dream. That's all. Too much that I have read here sounds like "go for it" advice from those who have not gone for it. It's like someone urging his buddy to stand up to the tough guy in the bar -- what could possibly go wrong?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #1139
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
If I believed in reincarnation, those choices would be easier, but I live as though I'm only here once. "Make good choices!"
Not necessarily. You'd be reincarnated as a human, an animal, or a spirit, depending on how you lived the previous life. That should give all of us pause. I'm sure I wouldn't come back as a spirit, cuz I drank too much of them; animal, okay, but not a sloth or some other undesirable; probably as a human, but not a politician or a motorcyclist or other lowlife. Not great choices.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1140
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I agree with paying off your debt.

But, it is a shame that college costs keep rising & rising in the US. Seems like "if they're so smart" colleges could figure out how to keep costs down!
I also feel like educational loans should be offered directly from the Fed at the prime rate and avoid the bank profits. Education is should be considered an investment in economic development, and the government seems to look for ways to promote that all the time.

IMO banks are parasites....
Having the government offer the loans would be great if people were in the habit of paying them back, but it will never happen because a large share of students never pay the loans back. I dont want to have to pay more taxes so some person can squander the money in college getting drunk and high and then just walk away from the debt.

Banks are a business like any other business. Would you let someone use your money for free. If you dont have the money to buy what you want and want to use theirs you are going to have to pay for it.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote