Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #121
Bumfuzzle
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I think it's telling that somebody comes on here and asks a question about dropping out of the rat race, riding, and living cheap somewhere new for awhile, only to have the conversation veer off to a long discussion of vehicle registration cost talk.

Almost everybody dreams of taking off and living the good life, but very very few ever follow through.

Somebody mentioned my website www.bumfuzzle.com back on page 1 of this thread and I was then written off as having made too much money to count. The truth is that I did make some money, but my wife and I also sold our condo, and every last belonging we owned. All of our belongings now fit in our car. We sailed around the world and spent more than we needed to thinking all along that we'd return and go back to work. But by the time we got back we realized that the last thing in the world we wanted to do was go back to Chicago and work. So we drove around in an old VW bus for a couple of years. Yes, my wife lived in the back of a fifty year old bus for two years. She's a rockstar. Now we're living in Mexico, just had a baby down here, and are contemplating our next move.

Anyway, it does take money. I don't think most people will find that their cost of living will be nearly as low as they think it would be. I'd be very suspect of the RV guy who says he lived for three hundred bucks one month. Could you do it for one month? Sure. But what about the next month when you need to get gas or restock your food.

The thing is, I'd guess that almost everybody on here could do it for a couple of years if they were willing to truly drop out and sell everything they own. It takes guts though to know that when the well runs dry you are going to be starting from scratch. My wife and I are on that path. We're not rich retirees, and at some point we're going to have to find a way to make money again. But for now we've just had the greatest six years of anybody's life. And life just seems to work out in the end anyway doesn't it?

So my long answer to the original question on this post is that most countries in Central America are doable on the cheap. Forget what you've read about Costa Rica and Panama though and go to Nicaragua or El Salvador. The biggest cost is going to be getting yourself and your bike there and settled in. It's not cheap to drive a few thousand miles and then find a place to live.

Lastly, if you do go, I think you'll find that your priorities change rather quickly and that even if you were to move back to the States you would live much more cheaply. My wife and I don't have cell phones, cable bills, insurance, new clothes, ipods, new computers, or Christmas gifts to buy. We live well within our means and are happy to do so, so that we can live life the way we want instead of how our parents society tells us we should.

So good luck. I really wish for everybody that they can have these sorts of experiences before they get too old and can't ride anymore.

Pat Schulte
bumfuzzle.com
Bumfuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #122
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumfuzzle
Almost everybody dreams of taking off and living the good life, but very very few ever follow through.
A very true statement, but I'm not sure that the discussion has "veered off" tangent as folk discuss the various costs of doing so. The OP posted a simple discussion topic, "Are there folk who for whatever reason taken off to travel cheaply?" I'm pretty sure I would not tie the question down with a requirement for a 'good life', although most agree that travel is not a bad thing.

It can be done, in many different ways, and with widely varied cost limits, and damn near in any country in the world. The only real difficulty seems like those that want delay starting (or interrupt) their career path, AND the gumption to just DO IT.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #123
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Well, I only read the first page of this discussion, and this one. I loved Pat's analysis and story.

At the same time that this thread started, I was in Costa Rica, enjoying a beverage and volcano view, celebrating one year since I worked for anyone else. At times, my six month journey felt like a job of its own.

But, I thought that at 13 months off and six months on the road, I would just be getting into the rhythm. I was surprised to find that I sort of want to go back to my former life again, make some money, and gear up for the next big trip.

It would probably be different if I had my own place to live, instead of a bike and eating road food every day. However, it certainly beats interviewing and stressing every day.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #124
guzzigeezer
Old wrinkly git

Oddometer: 88
Not really

Quote:
I think it's telling that somebody comes on here and asks a question about dropping out of the rat race, riding, and living cheap somewhere new for awhile, only to have the conversation veer off to a long discussion of vehicle registration cost talk.

If you are living on a restricted budget anything that helps you save money is a valid peice of information. Your statement that "Almost everybody dreams of taking off and living the good life, but very very few ever follow through." is a very arrogant and elitist statement based on what facts? This thread is about living on the cheap - a bit like your statement. If you can't offer practical advice at least let people have their dreams.
To some people the good life is a big car, big house and big bank balance. To a Somalian refugee it's water to drink and food to eat. Each to his own.

"We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again"

2007 Tiger 1050 - Love of my life
1989 Suzuki SR41A DRBIG - 800 Conversion
guzzigeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #125
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
So good luck. I really wish for everybody that they can have these sorts of experiences before they get too old and can't ride anymore.

Pat Schulte
bumfuzzle.com
Thank you for taking the time to sign up and give you experiance on the subject to this thread & community.

I hope to see some more from you in time.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #126
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,546
Quote:
...I'd be very suspect of the RV guy who says he lived for three hundred bucks one month...
Welcome to ADV.

Concerning "the guy in the RV", your suspicion is misplaced. J's been "out there" for double the time you have, most of that time living off his bike. He knows how to live cheap and has the discipline to do so.

Could I do it? Nope. That wouldn't cover my bar tab.

"I'm sorry. We can't work with you. You've got the stench of squandered time and energy."
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #127
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,711
It's good to hear from bumfuzzle.

Well I'm in the best position I will most likely ever be in to do the big ride and I'm taking small steps to make it happen.

I'm immersing myself in ride reports and blogs of CA, SA, and Africa travelers with the expectation of dropping out for a while.

Still trying to get my head around selling "everything" but in the end I'll most likely have some storage as I expect to come back at some point and won't be in position to re-purchase the "essentials". But downsizing is certainly part of the plan.

Great thread.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #128
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
I'm taking small steps to make it happen.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #129
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

You are right. Plenty of wishful dreamers, and only a handful achieve the goal of successfully wandering and traveling.

Then again, the ADVRider community if full of a ton of adventurers who have successfully managed to travel.

And here in the RV parks (the Rio Grande Valley supposedly has something like 500 parks) you run into plenty of folks who have, in their own ways, managed to get out there and travel.

I think that Bumfuzzle's comments about finding an income source that allows you to be mobile, or to recharge your savings at some point, to be 100% true.

And I think (knocking on wood) that he's spot on when he talks about how we all simplify and slim down. If it doesn't fit into a motor home then it's not important, although I am looking for a way to move my bikes and workshop into a trailer so that they can move along with us as we wander.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #130
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
although I am looking for a way to move my bikes and workshop into a trailer so that they can move along with us as we wander.
That should be to hard. I had an entire shop set up in the back of my Forest river 37sp toy hauler. the garage is 11' X 8' and i parked four bikes in there too while on the move. (GL500swi, Savage 650, DT175, SL100)
It was pretty tight. I would only be able to fit Two of your bikes in it without taking out the work bench, storage chest, motorcycle lift, and toolboxes.

You could build a pretty nice shop,hauler with a 15'X8' covered trailer and should be able to fit all four in there too. but you won't be able to Work in there without taking out the bikes. lol.

ad·ven·ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #131
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
That should be to hard. I had an entire shop set up in the back of my Forest river 37sp toy hauler. the garage is 11' X 8' and i parked four bikes in there too while on the move. (GL500swi, Savage 650, DT175, SL100)
It was pretty tight. I would only be able to fit Two of your bikes in it without taking out the work bench, storage chest, motorcycle lift, and toolboxes.

You could build a pretty nice shop,hauler with a 15'X8' covered trailer and should be able to fit all four in there too. but you won't be able to Work in there without taking out the bikes. lol.

Your bikes are smaller than mine and 11x8 would be a bit cramped for me.

I have looked and looked and looked and kicked around various ideas but haven't found the perfect solution.

Yet.

One issue has been that I don't have a vehicle that can tow a large trailer, other than my motor home. And that really complicates things because of the length of the combined vehicles and because of the need to return for a second trip in order to move all of our cars, SUV, second trailer, etc.

One possibility that I am kicking around right now is to forget the idea of getting a second truck to pull the workshop trailer every so often and to just rely on hired power (i.e. get someone else to move it).

I was thinking that if I could come up with an arrangement for fold down workbenches that would free up some space for storing and hauling bikes ...

Oh well ...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #132
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Cool2

Quote:
the need to return for a second trip in order to move all of our cars, SUV, second trailer, etc.
hmmm...
you can tow at least one "towable" with the RV.
you can also tow at least one "towable" with the SUV.
i presume that you have 2 drivers (yourself + wife/gf/whomever).
so, if you get rid of all cages except for 1 that can tow at least a trailer holding the bikes, i think you're set.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #133
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywr969
hmmm...
you can tow at least one "towable" with the RV.
you can also tow at least one "towable" with the SUV.
i presume that you have 2 drivers (yourself + wife/gf/whomever).
so, if you get rid of all cages except for 1 that can tow at least a trailer holding the bikes, i think you're set.

Therein lies part of the issue.

She's got a BMW sedan, I've got a Land Rover. Neither one of us wants to drive a huge truck as a daily driver.

Oh well ... we'll work it out. All that it takes is $$$ ... right?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #134
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Quote:
Therein lies part of the issue.

She's got a BMW sedan, I've got a Land Rover. Neither one of us wants to drive a huge truck as a daily driver.

Oh well ... we'll work it out. All that it takes is $$$ ... right?
two simple answers.

One: Put a receiver hitch on the BMW, get a small trailer from harbor freight, only take two bikes south.
(if your home state lets you pull a second trailer behind the motorhome)

two, build a Great shop/trailer that can take all the bikes too. Tow the BMW behind the landrover.

If you want to travel together in the same vehicle, flying back to get the other tow vehicle twice a year would be pretty cheap compared to buying more vehicles.
(at least it seams so to me.)

What do you do now and what do you take?

ad·ven·ture n.

'86 LS650 Milady's bike
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #135
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzigeezer
If you are living on a restricted budget anything that helps you save money is a valid peice of information. Your statement that "Almost everybody dreams of taking off and living the good life, but very very few ever follow through." is a very arrogant and elitist statement based on what facts? This thread is about living on the cheap - a bit like your statement. If you can't offer practical advice at least let people have their dreams.
To some people the good life is a big car, big house and big bank balance. To a Somalian refugee it's water to drink and food to eat. Each to his own.
I've had a dozen people tell me how they want to ride to Alaska since I got back. None of them will likely do it. I think the odds are good that he's right that "very very few ever follow through" Not really so elitist and arrogant as accurate. But I agree that no tip about how to do it is to small or off topic. Every little bit helps and it's good to have dreams.