Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #31
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Anyhow, CNC seems to take away some of the effort.
"Seems" is the operative word there. Given a choice between making one by hand and programming a 5-axis trunion milling machine with robotic loader, and I'd pick making it manually. Holy cow, that is some impressive work they did in that video (and a staggering amount of programming and setup).

Hardly related to "old machine tools" but, cool nonetheless.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #32
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey

Hardly related to "old machine tools" but, cool nonetheless.
I started out looking for old machine tools and that where I wound up. Hopefully some of the machinists here will have some stories about their own "Turner's Cubes". I used the wrong name for them in my prior post.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #33
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
I could post pages and pages. Here's just what I saw when I glanced through my pictures folder:

We have cabinets, chests, and drawers full of other tools.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #34
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
I started out looking for old machine tools and that where I wound up.
I'm with ya'. I just got sidetracked in Youtube looking at Sandvik cutter demos. Lots of cool pron.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #35
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
people might say 70's aint old. but how many hours is that? they havent made them like that since the 70's. it was the end. now it's planned obsolescence. before then they were built to last and last they did as shown.

even more so. the pre 50's machines.
I like the machines we have that have the "War Effort" labels on them. they have feeling. something. that makes you think "who ran this? what did they make? who where they?" and ya know? they might be fickle, cantankerous, and dirty. but get the touch. the feel of what they can do. thats a good feeling. master something that someone else used 60, 70,80 years ago?
and yes the last place I worked had a 1914 Lucas horizontal mill. "War effort" but another older war...

and it's funny. i'm the kid in the shop. these guys all have 20-30 years on me in the trade. and they laugh when I take pics. to me it still means something more than a check. pride in workmanship etc...they've lost that. so sad. and you can tell who's lost it. you can tell who turned what.
maybe thats why I connect with the hands that used these old big bastards when the were Brand spankin new. they had a goal, a mission and were proud of what they did. it was more than a check.
Great words. Great thread.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #36
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,291
I use to own a Tree vertical Mill I made proto-type parts for RC cars, I had invented a very useful tool, it was called Tom's Tool , I liked the Collet system in it kind of cool no R-8's
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #37
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,386
Quote:
take pics.
Poor grammar on my part, the shop is in Charlotte. If I ever get back there, I will.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #38
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
I could post pages and pages. Here's just what I saw when I glanced through my pictures folder:

We have cabinets, chests, and drawers full of other tools.

very cool. it's like someone just opened a shop that was closed for50 years.
awesome that you still use all that like it was meant to be.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #39
dagwood
Banned

lotsa cool big lathe pron on youtube.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #40
dagwood
Banned

my first attempt at video a while back. the Springfield is mothballed now.

if i remember right it was a 5000lb old sand cast iron rod from a press. there were two of them and the they had a six in core down the middle with chunks floating around and huge sand pits full of glass. notice how out of balance it was.

if this works
Old 01-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #41
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:

very cool. it's like someone just opened a shop that was closed for50 years.
awesome that you still use all that like it was meant to be.
This shop's been in constant operation.

The chuck on that large lathe was made in the same factory in Germany as K98's. Different twist on the war effort, I suppose.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #42
Bake OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
In the last shop I worked in, we sharpened small perp dies on a Property of the War Board surface grinder. It came off a Navy ship.
I didn't like running it, though it was smooth enough. The head would drop every now and again, about .03", and of course, blow up the wheel, fling workpieces, generally make a big clatter. And keep right on slapping back and forth

When I was at Boeing Wichita in the early '80's, I saw what must be the world's largest roll
At least this side of anything the Rooskies might have had. The rollers were 60' long, and all three were at least 36" diameter. Used for contouring B29 wing skins I was told.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #43
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
new old toy.
a 1947 Axelson. 26' bed.
damn thing turns like a dream and has been ran end to end it's whole life.
first setup at 16' it had .003 taper. with only a 4 foot level used to place the screw jacks. I really like this lathe. a lot.

70's Lucas. just like every other lucas.
boring H-13 pillow blocks. yeay.

people might say 70's aint old. but how many hours is that? they havent made them like that since the 70's. it was the end. now it's planned obsolescence. before then they were built to last and last they did as shown.

even more so. the pre 50's machines.
I like the machines we have that have the "War Effort" labels on them. they have feeling. something. that makes you think "who ran this? what did they make? who where they?" and ya know? they might be fickle, cantankerous, and dirty. but get the touch. the feel of what they can do. thats a good feeling. master something that someone else used 60, 70,80 years ago?
and yes the last place I worked had a 1914 Lucas horizontal mill. "War effort" but another older war...

and it's funny. i'm the kid in the shop. these guys all have 20-30 years on me in the trade. and they laugh when I take pics. to me it still means something more than a check. pride in workmanship etc...they've lost that. so sad. and you can tell who's lost it. you can tell who turned what.
maybe thats why I connect with the hands that used these old big bastards when the were Brand spankin new. they had a goal, a mission and were proud of what they did. it was more than a check.
I admire your shop and the equipment you run. At the age of 59 I have seen the transition from machinists to machine operators to a depressing decline in American manufacturing. One stronghold of machining skill is the repair machine shop that repairs or duplicates parts that are either out of production or available only with long lead times, from very distant vendors, or both. I take it that you are in that kind of environment.

A real machinist is to be admired and that person will never starve and will always bring value to his company and this country.

On a different note — something to consider. Some of us have had conversations over the years that go something like this. What if all of it disappeared and all we had was our knowledge as we were placed upon the land. No tools, no nothing. Starting from the environment; a rock and a stick. I will give you the knowledge. How would you start and what steps would be necessary to get back to what is now possible? How long would it take?

Also, is there one machine tool that could replicate itself? How do you make bigger machine tools? I have looked at very large machine tools and wondered, how was this made? How do you machine ways on a lathe longer than any presently existing machine is capable of doing?

How many still know how to hand scrape ways?

These are things for you to ponder.

I have a set of several, leather bound books that belonged to my grandfather. They are dated 1904, I believe, and cover industrial and manufacturing processes including machining. It is of interest to note that virtually all of the processes available today were in existence at that time. The differences being the tooling being used, and certain elements of machine contruction. Today we have ball screws, ball bushings, features that work with CNC and enhance repeatability and accuracy. The processes were there. Some of the machine tools were quite large.

Elsewhere in this thread is comment about a big set of forming rolls used by an aircraft manufacturer. Big stuff is neat. I would love to see plate formed in a ship yard.

I don't know you, but admire your skill, your spirit, and your interests.

America needs to manufacture to be great again.

Good job.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #44
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
i miss the smell of a machine shop
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #45
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag
i miss the smell of a machine shop
....and the sounds.

A bit of added charm is propane forklift exhaust.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: