Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #61
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
I have to save myself, first.
Turn a bad situation into a positive. If I design and make it, someone else gets a piece of it. Hell, a dozen people get a piece of it.
Updating my skills is part of it, but doing things I love to do is most of it.
thats a whole nother set. replace repair job shop vs design and production development. did the whole product/ production development thing and can't count the patents that don't have my name on them. fuck that...

bring me a problem. yeah sure. but don't steal. big corp america is good at that.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #62
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,918
Another manual machinist here (mostly). I work in the physics dept of UNM making prototype research fixtures, optics holders and other scientific apparatus. Small scale, non-production work. Lucky for me, the highest number of something I've ever had to make was 50.

I started at that shop and got on the job training. While working there I finished my BA at UNM and then several years later went to community college and went to school for a very busy year of straight classes to attain my certificate in machine tool technology. Graduated with a 4.0

In the commnity college, they gave everyone a solid foundation in manual work which was review for me but I also learned how to program (both straight g-code as well as mastercam) and run the big CNC machines but our shop doesn't have any. Just the same they're good skills to have these days.

I say I'm mostly manual because last year we retrofitted one of our Bridgeport series 1 machines with an Acurite 3-axis set up that I use fairly often now. It has given us some capability we didn't have before which has brought us some new lab work and we are busy as heck right now! I'm thankful for that, and thankful and blessed to be in a good job I enjoy. The pay is crap but its enough. I'm not miserable and that's what counts.

Hope any of you guys out there looking for work can find something. I truly beleive there will come a day when all the skilled laborers in this country will have to rise up and save this place.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #63
dagwood
Banned

"cycle start" gad. i'm so glad i never sprained my poker finger.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #64
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,973
Here's a pic of my late '40's Craftsman/Atlas:

It helps keep my antique junk running.

Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #65
Bake OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter
Here's a pic of my late '40's Craftsman/Atlas:

It helps keep my antique junk running.

I like the looks of that one.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #66
Bake OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Another manual machinist here (mostly). I work in the physics dept of UNM making prototype research fixtures, optics holders and other scientific apparatus. Small scale, non-production work. Lucky for me, the highest number of something I've ever had to make was 50.

I started at that shop and got on the job training. While working there I finished my BA at UNM and then several years later went to community college and went to school for a very busy year of straight classes to attain my certificate in machine tool technology. Graduated with a 4.0

In the commnity college, they gave everyone a solid foundation in manual work which was review for me but I also learned how to program (both straight g-code as well as mastercam) and run the big CNC machines but our shop doesn't have any. Just the same they're good skills to have these days.

I say I'm mostly manual because last year we retrofitted one of our Bridgeport series 1 machines with an Acurite 3-axis set up that I use fairly often now. It has given us some capability we didn't have before which has brought us some new lab work and we are busy as heck right now! I'm thankful for that, and thankful and blessed to be in a good job I enjoy. The pay is crap but its enough. I'm not miserable and that's what counts.

Hope any of you guys out there looking for work can find something. I truly beleive there will come a day when all the skilled laborers in this country will have to rise up and save this place.
Sounds like an excellent gig. Good on ya for going for the education AND the hands on work. I have a very good friend, my age, that has 4 degrees, Math, Geology, General, and a Master's from CalTech in instrument design/programming. He's taught a little, doesn't like it. And right now he's unemployed, laid off from an advertising company IT dept. Go figure.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #67
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
pics of the old girl I mentioned earlier

www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #68
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 740
Myford 7

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #69
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
try job shops. they are running out of warm bodies at a terrible rate. even with all the shops closing most of the machinist are in there 60-70's and just retire.

my age is what i have going for me. at 44 I'm the kid by a good 20 years for most of these guys. even at three other shops I've been in I was always pretty much the kid.
when we were really busy we kept trying to find younger even decent machinist and nobody under 60 had much manual experience anymore. the schools and trades pushed CNC for so many years as that was "the revolution" that a lot of the skills needed just dropped by the way. and then the market dropped out of "manufacturing" as everything went over sea's. seem's trickle down trickled away. OUR JOBS.

I wish it was that way here.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #70
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,440
here's a shot of my 6" craftsman - came with the table, and the uber-hot snap-on cast aluminum worklight, on custom magnetic base w/anti-turning-bits sticking tape wrap. I got all the tool holders in the original boxes, parts diagram book, and instruction manual. Boxes of cutting tools, etc...... The "old man" special setup. My father in law paid $190 at an auction.

Without a doubt one of that handiest things to have for under 2 c-notes.

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 01-05-2010 at 03:46 PM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #71
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
An old friend of mine has that same gig at A&M, before that he was at
Texas Tech, interesting work sometimes.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #72
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

4.0 x 12 tpi as an idea of size. this was a 15 hour day and this was about 7 pm. we had that piece a bronze cast as it was a breakdown and couldn't get the material next day. it was still fuckin warm.
$1k don't fuck it up. yeah that helps...
I love machining bronze, our senior year cap stone(r) project was to make cannons including casting the barrels out of bronze. I modified the print and turned most of the straights as tapers (on a manual)
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #73
dagwood
Banned

I fucking hate alum/bronze. true bronze. rare. is ok. but still a PITA. just cause it turns nice doesn't make it fun. we call it turnin stripper dust.
and get a few bronze slivers good and deep....see how long. months...before you get them out. fuck that noise. give me H13, A3, 4140, etc anyday over that shit.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #74
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
we also had to grind all our own cutters from square tool stock
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #75
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 740
15' LeBlond lathe, old skool tool..I had to take .030 off this pipe to make it round it also needed to fit inside another pipe.

Had to make an end plate for the live center..

Rolled the 10 x 36 tube onto the machine, stuck a 2x4 in between the ways to prevent it from rolling off the back side.

Blurry photo gives the illusion of speed...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: